FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1892347-flighty-new-flight-tracking-app-ios.html)

dwiser Aug 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Hey - I was really excited to see this launch at take it for a test drive.

Some feedback on some quick usage. The data pulls in all codeshares for flights which adds considerable (and unnecessary) clutter. For example, looking at flights from SFO to LAX shows dozens and dozens of flights - most of which are duplicates. If I'm flying United Airlines, I see no purpose to show all 5 code shares for the exact same flight. Makes finding my flight (and alternative flights on a route) much more challenging.

JHake10 Aug 30, 2019 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31448366)
Isn’t it though? We would show 737-900ER if it was that, so it’s not.

If you’re not seeing that LMK. If you have ideas to make that more clear LMK.

Upon searching this frame it seems to be a 737-900ER. However, the app shows 737-900.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bbbea67662.jpg

Additionally, I'm on KE26 SFO-ICN tonight. Flighty shows no tail number. However, FR27 shows HL8006. The whole 2 day tracking view was moot on this trip since the app doesn't know the frame.

Another DP. Flighty didn't know the tail number of another Korean flight to SGN and a Cathay flight. Seems this is more a domestic only tool.

merlin90 Sep 10, 2019 12:50 pm

I'm flying UA5408 LAX to AUS tomorrow. Flighty's "Where's My Plan?" information suggests that it's coming from DAY before my flight tomorrow. United's app, however, tells me that the plan will be flying down from YVR tomorrow morning. It's not the most important function of the app, granted, but I wonder if other people have seen something similar. Both apps are reporting the same tail number.

flightyryan Sep 11, 2019 6:47 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Hello again! fwiw I see every single post but man it's hard to find time to hop back in here. Our recent v1.1 release had 4 things that you specifically asked me for and here they are :)

1. Filter by Airlines
2. Filter codeshares for @dwiser @lsquare
3. Copy phone number just for @PackingIt!
4. Extended the calendar picker @BKft
5. Added "Recently Used" date shortcut, suggested by @BKft

We spent a long time to get the UX right and I think I turned out great. It's super easy to toggle between codeshares on/off and airline filter on/off. You don't have to dig into settings, but it doesn't take up much screen space. And we remember your preference for codeshares so you don't have to redo it every time.

Check it out. https://apps.apple.com/app/id1358823008

flightyryan Sep 11, 2019 6:58 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by merlin90 (Post 31511156)
I'm flying UA5408 LAX to AUS tomorrow. Flighty's "Where's My Plan?" information suggests that it's coming from DAY before my flight tomorrow. United's app, however, tells me that the plan will be flying down from YVR tomorrow morning. It's not the most important function of the app, granted, but I wonder if other people have seen something similar. Both apps are reporting the same tail number.

Hey Merlin, it looks like Flighty corrected itself and shows the same route as United now. If you can provide me details on when you looked and we had the old route still, and when we updated to the new correct route that would be stellar to track it down. No worries if you dont recall.

To your question, I've seen... 3? reports of this out of 2,000. I think it's caused by the inbound plane's route changing overnight, but that's why I'm trying to narrow it down. But it's quite rare.

🙏

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 31475196)

Upon searching this frame it seems to be a 737-900ER. However, the app shows 737-900.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bbbea67662.jpg

Additionally, I'm on KE26 SFO-ICN tonight. Flighty shows no tail number. However, FR27 shows HL8006. The whole 2 day tracking view was moot on this trip since the app doesn't know the frame.

Another DP. Flighty didn't know the tail number of another Korean flight to SGN and a Cathay flight. Seems this is more a domestic only tool.

Hey JHake, this reply has been sitting in my inbox motivating me the last few weeks... I am an app user first and foremost and I'd say the same thing if I were you and had these issues, that's why it gets to me, because you're right. And now that I'm on the other side it's so frustrating to SEE it and know how friggin hard it is going to be to fix it, BUT the reward of getting there is going to be sweet.

The last 2 weeks I've been on the phone with anyone that will listen about data quality... without giving away too much secret sauce, trust me we are going to work to get it to be the best. We HAVE TO have reports like this though, to know when/where the data is wrong, so thank you. Can you confirm KE is a major issue - we rarely have the tails - and Cathay is less bad but still missing what percent of the time? Anyone else? Any patterns you've noticed to when it's missing?

Tail Numbers: I found the issue with 737-900ER :) ... it was caused by a dummy messing up the database - ME! This is a perfect exactly of: If you report it, we can find it and fix it. There is no chance we could have found this without your report, so thanks! See attached.

We are also doing a BIIIIIG tail number database refresh soon :) Should help with Tail Number detail/stats big time.

PackingIt Sep 11, 2019 9:56 pm

flightyryan remind me: is an iOS Today widget on the road map by any chance?

merlin90 Sep 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31515850)
Hey Merlin, it looks like Flighty corrected itself and shows the same route as United now. If you can provide me details on when you looked and we had the old route still, and when we updated to the new correct route that would be stellar to track it down. No worries if you dont recall.

To your question, I've seen... 3? reports of this out of 2,000. I think it's caused by the inbound plane's route changing overnight, but that's why I'm trying to narrow it down. But it's quite rare.

🙏

Honestly not sure. It was possibly late on Tuesday night that I saw Flighty had updated and was showing the same thing as the United app. It was definitely right on the morning of the flight, though.

BThumme Sep 12, 2019 7:33 pm

What thing I think would be cool (that was part of the feedback submission I had that disappeared somewhere) was the option to toggle timezone settings.

So Let's take a flight from New York to LA. A flight time might be something like 6pm to 9pm, which is eastern time to pacific time.

An option to toggle the flight times to show 6pm to midnight for example, which would be based off a relative time zone such as the time zone of the departing flight.

Alternatively, and where this feedback comes from, is the option to switch all flight times relative to the timezone I'm in. So if I'm in eastern time zone, the above would stay the same. But take a flight from Tokyo to Bangkok. A sample time might be 2pm - 630 pm. My family back home (in eastern time) would like to know what that translates to for eastern time. So maybe they could see 1am - 530am (I do not know if that's the correct conversion, just using as an example).

The current workaround is to add the flight in the calendar for the local timezones, but it would be nice to check in the app if given a toggle option.

JHake10 Sep 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31515850)
Hey JHake, this reply has been sitting in my inbox motivating me the last few weeks... I am an app user first and foremost and I'd say the same thing if I were you and had these issues, that's why it gets to me, because you're right. And now that I'm on the other side it's so frustrating to SEE it and know how friggin hard it is going to be to fix it, BUT the reward of getting there is going to be sweet.

The last 2 weeks I've been on the phone with anyone that will listen about data quality... without giving away too much secret sauce, trust me we are going to work to get it to be the best. We HAVE TO have reports like this though, to know when/where the data is wrong, so thank you. Can you confirm KE is a major issue - we rarely have the tails - and Cathay is less bad but still missing what percent of the time? Anyone else? Any patterns you've noticed to when it's missing?

Tail Numbers: I found the issue with 737-900ER :) ... it was caused by a dummy messing up the database - ME! This is a perfect exactly of: If you report it, we can find it and fix it. There is no chance we could have found this without your report, so thanks! See attached.

We are also doing a BIIIIIG tail number database refresh soon :) Should help with Tail Number detail/stats big time.

Thanks for looking into this. My Korean and Cathay flights reported the tail number after the flight when looking at the history. Appreciate the team digging into this.

lsquare Sep 17, 2019 3:46 am

I would appreciate if flightyryan can comment on this. So SFO have one runway shut down so this is a good chance to test Flighty. For YVR-SFO, the scheduled departure time was 6 AM PDT. When I arrived at the airport, there was no indication that the flight to SFO would be delayed. Google and Flighty both indicated that the flight would be depart on time. I forgot when the last call for boarding was, but it was around 5:45 AM or so. I was still at a lounge eating and I wanted to arrive just as the gate was closing. When I arrived at the gate, there was a huge line and I started asking questions. Apparently UA618 would be delayed by around 2.5 hours. Moments later, Flighty started showing the delayed departure out of YVR. I walked back to the lounge cuz I didn't want to sit by the gate for 2.5 hours. Not sure what to make out of it, but it would have been great to have learned of the delayed departure prior to walking to the gate.

Looking at my flight history, it doesn't seem like YVR-HND was corrected. I think flightyryan said he was looking into it, but I think it's been roughly a month and it hasn't been corrected.

I'm flying again today with AC to TPE. Will provide more update and observations about Flighty later.

merlin90 Sep 25, 2019 12:10 pm

I'm flying AA2776 from LAX to ORD tomorrow. The American app is showing the terminal and departure gate at LAX and the arrival terminal and gate at ORD. Flighty is only showing the ORD arrival terminal, but a blank in the other fields.

flightyryan Oct 5, 2019 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31533457)
I would appreciate if flightyryan can comment on this. So SFO have one runway shut down so this is a good chance to test Flighty. For YVR-SFO, the scheduled departure time was 6 AM PDT. When I arrived at the airport, there was no indication that the flight to SFO would be delayed. Google and Flighty both indicated that the flight would be depart on time. I forgot when the last call for boarding was, but it was around 5:45 AM or so. I was still at a lounge eating and I wanted to arrive just as the gate was closing. When I arrived at the gate, there was a huge line and I started asking questions. Apparently UA618 would be delayed by around 2.5 hours. Moments later, Flighty started showing the delayed departure out of YVR. I walked back to the lounge cuz I didn't want to sit by the gate for 2.5 hours. Not sure what to make out of it, but it would have been great to have learned of the delayed departure prior to walking to the gate.

Looking at my flight history, it doesn't seem like YVR-HND was corrected. I think flightyryan said he was looking into it, but I think it's been roughly a month and it hasn't been corrected.

I'm flying again today with AC to TPE. Will provide more update and observations about Flighty later.

Hey Square! For that old flight, try deleting it and re-adding it, that will force the data to get the absolute latest.

This SFO runway thing was a great test. Basically FAA mandated 2.5 hr ground delays at all departure airports for the entire month. Our system is built such that

1) we monitor the next 3-hours or flights out of an airport + the last 1-hour. We average the delay.
2) As it gets worse, we send an alert to you with increasing severity. 3)
Anytime we see any delay, we check the FAA OIS website for why And tell you why.

This works well because it’s REAL ground truth. Real delays or not. It doesn’t work so well, if there are no real delays! That’s exactly what happened here. The FAA OIS posted the notice, but the airlines hasn’t delayed a single flight yet. And since you were first in the AM, no one before you was delayed either!

So, why don’t we check the FAA OIS and alert you anytime there is a post their, instead of waiting for a real delay?... As you might be thinking that’s a pretty easy one: They list planned delays. I’d rather show actual delays.

Hence, the gap in our system was identified! ... and of course, we are now working out how to handle that perfectly, without opening any other gaps! AKA making software.

We’re working on some exciting stuff, and getting even more better data, but this SFO thing put this on our map too. Sure would have been Flighty-ish to tell you beforehand when no one else did. It will next time ;)

lsquare Oct 8, 2019 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31597251)
Hey Square! For that old flight, try deleting it and re-adding it, that will force the data to get the absolute latest.

This SFO runway thing was a great test. Basically FAA mandated 2.5 hr ground delays at all departure airports for the entire month. Our system is built such that

1) we monitor the next 3-hours or flights out of an airport + the last 1-hour. We average the delay.
2) As it gets worse, we send an alert to you with increasing severity. 3)
Anytime we see any delay, we check the FAA OIS website for why And tell you why.

This works well because it’s REAL ground truth. Real delays or not. It doesn’t work so well, if there are no real delays! That’s exactly what happened here. The FAA OIS posted the notice, but the airlines hasn’t delayed a single flight yet. And since you were first in the AM, no one before you was delayed either!

So, why don’t we check the FAA OIS and alert you anytime there is a post their, instead of waiting for a real delay?... As you might be thinking that’s a pretty easy one: They list planned delays. I’d rather show actual delays.

Hence, the gap in our system was identified! ... and of course, we are now working out how to handle that perfectly, without opening any other gaps! AKA making software.

We’re working on some exciting stuff, and getting even more better data, but this SFO thing put this on our map too. Sure would have been Flighty-ish to tell you beforehand when no one else did. It will next time ;)

I just deleted NH115 and re-added the flight. Same issue. Have you tested this yourself and confirm this to work?

You used to be so quick with the replies, but I guess you're busy with all of your other app developement? ;)

flightyryan Oct 9, 2019 10:28 am

Ahh! I mistook NH115's issue for a different issue. Your issue is still in the works. I just PM'ed you for me details.

You may not believe me... but legit every day I think "damn it would be nice to hop on FT and chat/learn"... it's just SO hard to get that time. Yall are our core core customer. But there are so many other places we get feedback that I need to always maintain, and then build the product, and then market, and then work on data, etc etc.

---- ALSO ----

I want to talk to 5 folks, on the phone for 20-30 minutes, about how you manage your flights. I can trade Flighty Pro credits in exchange. Just a 20-30 minute phone call about how you work, what are pain points; not just about Flighty, about travel.

PLEASE email me at [email protected] if you fly >50 flights/year and want FREE FLIGHTY PRO in exchange for a 20-30m phone call where you get to vent about anything! ��

JHake10 Oct 12, 2019 9:22 pm

a few niche features I just thought would be cool:

Looking at flight current en route it would be interesting to see info such as altitude, speed, and squawk code.

Another interesting thing to see is just general departure and arrival flights by airport for all flights.