FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1892347-flighty-new-flight-tracking-app-ios.html)

immaculate Aug 3, 2019 3:39 am

I downloaded Flighty and am looking forward to giving it a go. My one request is that you guys consider selling a "lifetime" subscription at some point. As a Silicon Valley tech worker, I know that subscriptions and MRR are all the rage these days, but I'm really trying to cut back on monthly/yearly charges for services and unless something is absolutely critical nowadays, I probably won't pay.

nancypants Aug 3, 2019 8:39 am

So i finished inputting my historic flights and remaining glitches are as follows:
-IB/air nostrum turboprop flights dont come up either
-(seriously obscure) Helity (HTY) helicopter airlines to/from Ceuta don’t come up (to be fair I didn’t expect they would but, if you don’t ask)
-loganair (LM) doesn’t show up if on prime code but weirdly codeshares do

i’m having a bit of a problem with push notifications of changes etc but I think that might be just my settings I need to play with

also, it’s a massive first world problem but, is there any way we could get a means of toggling units? Statute miles vs KMs?

thanks!

flightyryan Aug 3, 2019 11:54 am

Originally Posted by PackingIt (Post 31353104)
This is not a common issue, but I'll request it nonetheless: when I travel, I use the Google Voice app for making calls (over data). In the airline section, please consider showing the airline phone number in a way that can be copied to the clipboard (so it can be pasted into the GV app dialer), instead of just the button to dial.

Another request is to have more data and less map shown by default. Right now the initial display is about 50/50 of map to data. Consider changing that to maybe 25% top is map, and then 75% is the flight info, with the ability to show more map if desired. The map is pretty, but what I really need to see is flight info.

Wow that is an interesting phone number request! I'd love to add that to fit into your workflow - that's the kind of stuff we love making easier for yall!

If you open the "card" position to 100/0, it will be smart and keep that position :)

What about widget? What would you like to see?

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31353835)
I just installed the app and wow, what a stunner. The design is beautiful.

Is it just me or that I can't add my seats to my historical flights? Also, is there a way to show all of my historical flights on the map similar to what my.FlightRadar does?

I added my 4 upcoming flights to the app. I can't wait to test out this app with my upcoming flight.

Ack! So sorry late reply to this, my alerts were screwed up.

Thanks! Everyone is loving the design :). When we surveyed 1,400 frequent flyers "good design" was literally #1 request, we think because the current flight tracking apps are especially great at it.

1. You cannot add seat number right now
2. Yes, you can show all historical flights on a sweet map :) Just tap the globe next to settings.
3. How did it go with your flights!?

Originally Posted by BKft (Post 31354010)
Any plans to integrate import from other services except Tripit? For instance, my.FlightRadar24.com does export in CSV, it would be nice to have a CSV import as well. Maybe you have it now, didn't see it in your notes - will try the pro version in a couple of days with 4 upcoming flights.

Ya know, we thought about it, but decided not for 1.0, but the feedback from FF's like you for this feature has been strong. We are considering OpenFlights as top priority, since that covers most cases.

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant (Post 31355174)
Flighty sounds like it's got a lot of great features, but as an FYI for Isquare and for standby folks looking for what I mentioned: the free app "Flight Board" for iOS does that feature. Plug in the airport code or name, and it shows you all departures or arrivals to and from there, sorted chronologically. From there you can filter by city name, airline code, etc. You can also save a list of favorite airports, and just switch back and forth between them without having to do a new search.
was in Istanbul a couple weeks ago, looking for a way home, had planned on going through AMS, but it filled up. So instead I lit up that app, saw there was a flight I'd never heard of out of IST to CDG departing in a few hours. Checked the loads, jumped on, and poof - I was IST>CDG>SEA a short while later in first class.

Back to Flighty and its benefits though. Looks like a nice clean app, probably just not what I needed in this specific case.

We should talk, can you PM me so you can help us design this feature? I want to make it perfect for you all, and sounds like you have experience.

Power search and plotting past flights are the top features we are hearing from pro folks like yall to work on.

Originally Posted by immaculate (Post 31373732)
I downloaded Flighty and am looking forward to giving it a go. My one request is that you guys consider selling a "lifetime" subscription at some point. As a Silicon Valley tech worker, I know that subscriptions and MRR are all the rage these days, but I'm really trying to cut back on monthly/yearly charges for services and unless something is absolutely critical nowadays, I probably won't pay.

Considering the unprecedented amount of data we pull per flight, lifetime would probably be a recipe for us going out of business in 2-3 years so your lifetime wouldn't be very lifetime :). We would have to price it at ~4x the annual price to make sure we didn't get crushed by costs. In other words, it's unlikely, not but impossible. Exactly as you say, we must focus on the users we are critical for.

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31374348)
So i finished inputting my historic flights and remaining glitches are as follows:
-IB/air nostrum turboprop flights dont come up either
-(seriously obscure) Helity (HTY) helicopter airlines to/from Ceuta don’t come up (to be fair I didn’t expect they would but, if you don’t ask)
-loganair (LM) doesn’t show up if on prime code but weirdly codeshares do

i’m having a bit of a problem with push notifications of changes etc but I think that might be just my settings I need to play with

also, it’s a massive first world problem but, is there any way we could get a means of toggling units? Statute miles vs KMs?

thanks!

So...80% of this is over my head, but if you can translate it to me pretty clearly, I can get to work on it. PM is fine to not clog thread.

Custom units (mach! ;0 ) are on the roadmap, but not immediately. I'll tally your vote for them.

PackingIt Aug 3, 2019 12:01 pm

If the user base gets strong enough, perhaps a multi year subscription at a further reduced price?

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31374919)
Considering the unprecedented amount of data we pull per flight, lifetime would probably be a recipe for us going out of business in 2-3 years so your lifetime wouldn't be very lifetime :). We would have to price it at ~4x the annual price to make sure we didn't get crushed by costs. In other words, it's unlikely, not but impossible. Exactly as you say, we must focus on the users we are critical for.

flightyryan Aug 3, 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt (Post 31374953)
If the user base gets strong enough, perhaps a multi year subscription at a further reduced price?

Apple doesn't offer longer than 1-year right now :(. I would LOVE to offer that.

Thank you for respectfully understanding about the user base issues, very kind of you. (FWIW, the current price is $49.99 launch sale, regular is $69.99. Not sure how long we'll keep it, at least a few more weeks though. Not trying to pressure you just telling.)

lsquare Aug 3, 2019 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31374962)
Apple doesn't offer longer than 1-year right now :(. I would LOVE to offer that.

Thank you for respectfully understanding about the user base issues, very kind of you. (FWIW, the current price is $49.99 launch sale, regular is $69.99. Not sure how long we'll keep it, at least a few more weeks though. Not trying to pressure you just telling.)

How about an advance warning when you guys plan to raise the price? I do agree that some sort of multi-year pricing would be great, but I get that's an Apple limitation. Hopefully you'll give your app some time for people to try before you contemplate going back to regular pricing. Maybe 1-2 months post-launch before deciding? Anyways, you're the boss. :)

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31374919)

Maybe I misread some of your previous responses, but didn't you mentioned about lifetime pricing earlier? I hope you're not offended when I ask or comment about pricing. If I wasn't clear before, please let me make this clear. I actually want you to succeed. I understand how difficult it is to make money. At the end of the day, you've gotta be rewarded for the hard work that you put in. I believe in hard work and I don't believe anyone should ever work for free. Thank you for taking the time to respond and engage your customers and potential customers. Really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31374891)
Ack! So sorry late reply to this, my alerts were screwed up.

Thanks! Everyone is loving the design :). When we surveyed 1,400 frequent flyers "good design" was literally #1 request, we think because the current flight tracking apps are especially great at it.

1. You cannot add seat number right now
2. Yes, you can show all historical flights on a sweet map :) Just tap the globe next to settings.
3. How did it go with your flights!?

No problem, I understand you're a very busy person.

You really nailed the design. It's been a few days since I installed the app and I haven't got bored of the design yet. Without a doubt, I think the design of an app is critical for it to succeed. Didn't you mentioned that you use to work at Apple? If so, I think I know where you got the great idea from. :)

1. When do you plan to add seat numbers? I think this is pretty important for a historical flight log. I understand it's a 1.0 release. No rush. Just wondering.

2. Thank you. Do you intend to release some sort of road map for feature implementation? I really want Flighty to totally replace my.FlightRadar, which is what I use at the moment.

3. I will fly next week. Please give me some time. I have 10 flights scheduled from the middle of next week to the end of September. I'll definitely post my impressions after I have had sufficient time playing with the app. Either way, I do like what I'm seeing and you come across as a person that actually care about your customers. I'm fairly certain I'll purchase a subscription for 1 year so I'll have more time to play with it. I don't think you need to worry about that.

4. Since you mentioned that Flighty pulls data from a variety of sources, I'm assuming that I no longer need a subscription with FlightStats? I'm currently in the middle of a subscription with them trying to obtain information for previous flights. I suppose if I run out of time and can't get everything I need, I can rely on Flighty to look up that information?

5. I must be doing something wrong. There doesn't seem to be any issue adding recent flights to the log. I'm having trouble adding a flight taken on August 24, 2008, PEK-HKG, CX6879.

nancypants Aug 3, 2019 1:37 pm

OT I know but I feel like i’ve missed out on my log by not adding seat numbers 😂 probably not worth me starting now mind

flightyryan Aug 3, 2019 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31375228)
I'm having trouble adding a flight taken on August 24, 2008, PEK-HKG, CX6879.

Will reply to rest soon, but I just added this flight perfectly fine. After you ensure app is updated, can you send a screen recording in via Feedback? Would love to solve

salut0 Aug 3, 2019 11:55 pm

Love the app. I tried adding a flight I know was delayed that someone I know flew and it shows “Status Unknown” and no actual arrival time.
details: DI7017 7/11/2019 LGW-JFK
How come? It definitely did arrive!

lsquare Aug 4, 2019 6:16 am

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31375952)
Will reply to rest soon, but I just added this flight perfectly fine. After you ensure app is updated, can you send a screen recording in via Feedback? Would love to solve

I'm guessing I'll need to use a third party app to do a screen recording?

Since the flight was taken 11 years ago, I didn't had time to just keep scrolling up. In the date fields, I manually entered the dates, but no flights appeared.

I also noticed some issues with flights taken this year. NH115 YVR-HND on May 20th shows that the flight was diverted to YVR. That's not true. The flight was about an hour late to depart from YVR due to some mechanical issues. It was sorted and I recalled flying out at about 5:22 PM or so.

I managed to find KQ860 taken on January 13, 2010. Flightly only shows NBO-BKK. My ticket shows that I flew BKK-HKG.

What's going on here?

Rare Aug 4, 2019 10:35 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31377211)

Nope, it’s built into iOS! See:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935

flightyryan Aug 5, 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31377211)

Since the flight was taken 11 years ago, I didn't had time to just keep scrolling up. In the date fields, I manually entered the dates, but no flights appeared.

I also noticed some issues with flights taken this year. NH115 YVR-HND on May 20th shows that the flight was diverted to YVR. That's not true. The flight was about an hour late to depart from YVR due to some mechanical issues. It was sorted and I recalled flying out at about 5:22 PM or so.

I managed to find KQ860 taken on January 13, 2010. Flightly only shows NBO-BKK. My ticket shows that I flew BKK-HKG.

What's going on here?

NH115: is a dumb issue with FlightStats. They have a bug where they think flights that depart the gate, then return back to the gate (mechanical issues, exactly) they are categorizing that as "Diverted back to YVR" 😆. We are working with them on it and they are receptive, so it should get there. For now, that IS your flight, they are just labeling it stupidly.

KQ860: BKK-HKG looks like 1/14/2010. Looks like a dual segment flight, and the second segment just happened to take off after midnight. That's a DOOZY! Friggin timezones...

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 31376586)
Love the app. I tried adding a flight I know was delayed that someone I know flew and it shows “Status Unknown” and no actual arrival time.
details: DI7017 7/11/2019 LGW-JFK
How come? It definitely did arrive!

Technically: Neither the airline or airport officially filed any time for gate. With either of those from either of the parties we know the timing and that the plane actually did land, at that airport. Without it... we are kinda lost. We can't say when it landed, that it landed, or where it landed; if we don't know. So we provide that message since we made a promise to never guess.

salut0 Aug 5, 2019 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31383400)
Technically: Neither the airline or airport officially filed any time for gate. With either of those from either of the parties we know the timing and that the plane actually did land, at that airport. Without it... we are kinda lost. We can't say when it landed, that it landed, or where it landed; if we don't know. So we provide that message since we made a promise to never guess.

Fascinating. Why did that happen? In this case Norwegian should owe EC261 compensation of €600 per person for the delay: is this a way to get out of it or just an oversight? Why would the airport not file the arrival time?

flightyryan Aug 5, 2019 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 31383471)

Fascinating. Why did that happen? In this case Norwegian should owe EC261 compensation of €600 per person for the delay: is this a way to get out of it or just an oversight? Why would the airport not file the arrival time?

Sadly I can’t say for sure. Not qualified.

But I can guess and I can guess well: Negligence. Why does anything not get done at offices/jobs/work? Just because.😞

TWA884 Aug 5, 2019 8:55 pm

Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

While some natural deviation from the topic of the thread is perfectly fine, discussion of EU Flight Compensation Regulation 261 has nothing to do with the Flighty flight tracking app. It is only relevant in the Travel Tools forum when members request flight data in order to file a EC261 claims.

Please get back on topic and confine your comments as closely as possible to the subject matter of this thread (FlyerTalk Rule 5).

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator