FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1892347-flighty-new-flight-tracking-app-ios.html)

DYKWIA Jul 11, 2019 2:28 am

I sincerely hope we get to build an Android version for you! That would mean that the iOS app proved there is a viable market here.

Marketshare isn’t the right metric here. From a business point of view, there's really no contest:
1) iOS apps make 2x the revenue Source: https://cl.ly/428258
2) Android is ~3x more fragmented Source: https://cl.ly/9e0427

And as you mentioned that's on top of 3x the user base. So I'd have to reach 6x as many people on Android, after building for 3x as many OS versions, to match iOS. I know yall are sick of hearing that, but we really have no choice. (Sorry for the slow reply. I'm still limited to 5 posts per 24h on this new handle.)
I've copied the above from the other thread... as I don't quite understand your reasoning.

You say that iOS apps make 2x the revenue of Android apps. But there are 3x as many Android users as iOS, so surely you'd make more from Android? Maybe not in NA, but the rest of the world.

As for fragmentation, anything you build for Marshmallow (3 versions ago) should also work on later versions. I guess the issue could be the sheer number of different Android devices, and ensuring the App doesn't do strange things on obscure device / OS combinations.

flightyryan Jul 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Sure thing, let me try again:

With 3 times as many devices, Android apps still only make half the revenue. Or, the flip side: With only only 1/3rd as many devices, iOS apps still make 2x the revenue.

Its a gross oversimplification for forum chat for sure. And I know some app friends who make only about 20% less on Android. But it is less. And there are WAY more software versions and screen sizes to support. Supporting old software versions and testing UI across that and screen sizes = nightmare.

I mean no ill will, I legit want to make Flighty for Android, but as a starting point when I’m betting my company on it - iOS is a no brainer.

Flighty WILL run on iPad! I know many of y’all have Android plus iPad. And the iPad app is awesome and fully featured. So you can support us there to give us runway to invest in Android. :)

678flyer Jul 14, 2019 1:18 am

Some developer friends have told me that making an Android app is 3-5x the effort of an iOS app. Perhaps that also is playing a role.

TWA884 Jul 14, 2019 9:18 am

Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please let's not distract from the Flighty developers' explanation of their product and its features and take the discussion of the merits of writing iOS vs. Android versions of apps first to the its own thread:
TWA884

flightyryan Jul 15, 2019 2:09 pm

We're going to formally announce it tomorrow, but yall get the first heads-up: App launch is officially July 23rd! So just over one week away.

We are opening up some more beta spots, now that the app is in final form, so we can get educated but fresh eyes on the final product. If you are interested, PM me your iOS email.

SRG Jul 21, 2019 9:14 am

I get this error when signing up to the email list:

Whitelabel Error Page

This application has no explicit mapping for /error, so you are seeing this as a fallback.

Sun Jul 21 15:12:54 GMT 2019
There was an unexpected error (type=Internal Server Error, status=500).
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderE xception: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Xeno Jul 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Flighty is now available in the iOS App Store.

I had a few days with the beta and found the app to be feature rich. I am told that more improvements are not far away.

The features - like push for gate assignments and changes, delayed flights, inbound plane tracking - that mean the most to me worked flawless yesterday when flying STR-ATL-OKC.

Now is a good time to get in with significant subscription savings at launch. However, a free version is available that should convince most skeptics to sign on.

I have no more need for Flight Update Pro much less TripCase now.

Basic introduction with a helpful FAQ is available at https://www.flightyapp.com/

Pseudo Nim Jul 23, 2019 12:56 pm

I’ve also been lucky to be part of the beta, and I must say - save for an issue I found with an obscure airline, the app has been incredibly solid, and has supported me really well through this massive trip I’m on now.

One thing I really like about it and hope is developed further is the historical flight feature - it’s FAR prettier than FlightMemory, and because it’s linked to your actual flights, it automatically stores things like registration #, actual flight time and so on, which saves a massive amount of input. Just need a way to edit that data on the web, but I know the team was more focused on getting the primary functions working.

Really excited about what the app will bring going forward!

flightyryan Jul 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Wow thanks Xeno and Pseudo Nim! So glad you are loving it :)

I just want to re-iterate Free = free forever, no flight limits, no time limits, no ads. And there is a 14-day free trial to try Pro. Even if you don't fly often or want Pro, the app is still awesome and live data.

Good other feedback, thanks!

BKft Jul 24, 2019 2:31 am

Not (yet) available globally in the App Store?

flightyryan Jul 24, 2019 9:59 am

Hey FT! Sooo stoked to show yall this app and get your feedback. After nearly 2 years of working with 200 pilots and super frequent flyers, we are super excited to announce the release!

The Free plan has no flight limit, no time limit, and no ads. But you should 100% try Flighty Pro, there's a 14-day free trial, and we put the Cancel Subscription button right in our settings. We are not hear to trick anyone. It's definitely super premium and Pro is priced as such. Launch sale is $49.99/yr ($4.15/mo) (Reg $69.99) or $8.99/mo.

Download Link: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1358823008

I'm hanging out for questions! Speaking of which... yes we are planning to do Android

--- FULL DETAIL LIST ---

FEATURES:
- Push Notifications - unlimited and THE fastest, over 50 types, tuned to never overwhelm
- Inbound Plane Tracking - starts 25-hours (!) before your flight, with alerts if issues start
- Refreshing Design - build for one-handed use
- Personal Flight History - Maps by year, times around the world, miles per year
- Real Flight Paths - you get an alert as soon as it’s filed to authorities
- Arrival Delay Forecast - flight performance over last 60 days
- Connection Assistant - when you land, an alert with everything you need to make your connection
- FAA Forced Delay Alerts - direct feed of FAA OIS communication with pilots about forced delays by the FAA. (US only) This is actually the #2 cause of delays, making Flighty the only app that automatically monitors the top causes of delays. Source: Department of Transportation, July 2019, Page 30
- Real aircraft models - the small plane on the map… it’s the correct model
- Tail Number detail
- Intelligent search for fast entry - just enter “AA100” and we parse it, and “7/10” for dates too
- Full timetable - comprehensive schedule and estimates for every step
- Calendar Sync - 1-way sync from Flighty to cal, not just export though, we keep the event up-to-date
- Sharing - easily send loved ones your latest status
- Taxi Times
- TripIt Sync
- Email Import
- Timezone change
- Baggage Claim
- Arrival Weather
- Check In Assistant
- Morning-Of Assistant
- Offline estimation
- iCloud sync - use Flighty on all your iOS devices
- No accounts - no email or login required, we never even know who you are
- Privacy - Flighty retains ZERO data from TripIt, calendar, or email automations. If, and only if, our email parsing fails, we fallback to a commercial option that retains no private data but does retain non-private data but only aggregated and anonymously

FREE PLAN:
No time limit, no flight limit, no ads. This plan is so built that everyone can store all their flights, get to know Flighty, and upgrade to Pro when they are ready.

PRO MONTHLY:
14 day free trial then $8.99/mo.
Allows less frequent flyers to activate Pro as-needed, during the months they are flying.

PRO ANNUAL:
14 day free trial then $69.99/yr Launch sale $49.99/yr ($4.15/mo or 54% off)
Offers a significant discount, plus during launch we are taking an extra $20 off the annual price, bringing the total discount to over 50%.

Download Link: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1358823008

nancypants Jul 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Ok so have downloaded and spent a few hours playing around with it
broadly quite like it

issues identified (Australian perspective)
-QantasLink turboprop flights don’t seem to show up at all- not sure why
-Tigerair Australia (TT) also doesn’t seem to feature
-changed flight numbers for irrops don’t show up, even if searched by route
-qantas trans tasman/operated by Jetconnect flights are patchy at best

(non Australian)
-not great coverage of turboprops in Myanmar
-multiple listings missing aircraft type (I have these from flightstats)

is there a way to add flights manually to overcome these issues?

flightyryan Jul 24, 2019 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31338571)
Ok so have downloaded and spent a few hours playing around with it
broadly quite like it

Glad you like it... broadly! ;) What are you liking most?

So if I'm reading this right, the main issue is finding flights? Email me the flight numbers at [email protected] and we'll figure it out for each of them. Make sure we fix the root cause.

nancypants Jul 24, 2019 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by flightyryan (Post 31338606)
Glad you like it... broadly! ;) What are you liking most?

So if I'm reading this right, the main issue is finding flights? Email me the flight numbers at [email protected] and we'll figure it out for each of them. Make sure we fix the root cause.

i’ll email you my spreadsheet when I get off this plane 😉

lsquare Jul 28, 2019 3:49 am

I got a question about the flight logging feature. So does it have all of the capability of myFlightRadar24? I really love the interface and the simplicity of entering and logging my previous flights. It would be great if Flighty offer something similar.

We all know that nothing last forever. So in the event that I no longer want to continue my subscription or if Flighty cease to exist anymore, is there an easy way to export data from Flighty?

Even with the discount pricing, this is after all, a subscription. $49.99/year is a lot of money for people that don't fly often (definition of often will vary). What does Flighty plan to offer to justify the subscription fee going forward?

My issue with subscription pricing is that inevitably pricing will go up. I've seen reasons like inflation cited as a justification to raise the price.

I kind of wished Flighty offered a 30 day trial like a lot of subscription services out there rather than 14 days.

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 31334275)
I’ve also been lucky to be part of the beta, and I must say - save for an issue I found with an obscure airline, the app has been incredibly solid, and has supported me really well through this massive trip I’m on now.

One thing I really like about it and hope is developed further is the historical flight feature - it’s FAR prettier than FlightMemory, and because it’s linked to your actual flights, it automatically stores things like registration #, actual flight time and so on, which saves a massive amount of input. Just need a way to edit that data on the web, but I know the team was more focused on getting the primary functions working.

Really excited about what the app will bring going forward!

Can you comment further about the historical flight feature? Does Flighty have access to the same amount of data as Flightstats? Can Flighty look up flights taken in the late 1990s or early 2000s?

Does Flighty have any plans to make the data editable on the web? Any plans for a port to the Mac?