Reload this Page >

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:18 am

I've found one website that obviously seems to have managed this task: https://go2.travel-dealz.de/. A search there creates automatically the correct Google Flight hyperlink.

Since my knowledge in this field is very limited, I am only interested in a solution to create such links by using Google Spreadsheet. For a Oneway-flight this would mean: Enter departure, destination and date in cells A1, A2 and A3, and then get the encoded link in A4.
Gallibep likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:32 pm

What's up with all of the shady-seeming sites that Google Flights offers as places to purchase your ticket, typically at a price lower than directly through the airline's own site? If I saw this occasionally on a just a few routings from just a couple of online travel agents, then I might think that they're operating on the old bucket shop model ... but I see it on every single routing, and there's always a dozen or so sites to choose from. Are they legit? How are they able to undercut prices directly from the airline?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
This is kinda weird:

1. Starting from a fresh search at https://www.google.com/flights
2. Enter cities
3. Change the dates
4. On the search results screen, click the Airlines dropdown -- I am no longer able to filter by individual airlines it only shows alliances (similar to the map search). However once I click on an alliance, then the checkboxes for the individual airlines appear for selection/exclusion.

So it's still possible, but now has an extra annoying step.

At first I thought it was another creeping removal of useful functionality, but then I noticed a subtle difference -- if I repeat the process but skip over step 3 and just accept the default dates, then the individual airline checkboxes appear from the get-go.
I think I discovered the solution to #4. If you search a specific route through the flights tab, apply the filters that you want such as specific airline, then change the destination to something broad, like "Europe", the explorer map will come up and all the filters you had just set will remain in place while you explore the map.

Not only does this allow you to set a specific airline, you can also set layover airports (the map won't reflect this but when you click on a city, the results in the left side panel will) and when you start exploring the map, you can change it to flexible date search.

Last edited by therossinator; Apr 28, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by mc510
What's up with all of the shady-seeming sites that Google Flights offers as places to purchase your ticket, typically at a price lower than directly through the airline's own site? If I saw this occasionally on a just a few routings from just a couple of online travel agents, then I might think that they're operating on the old bucket shop model ... but I see it on every single routing, and there's always a dozen or so sites to choose from. Are they legit? How are they able to undercut prices directly from the airline?
My mother did this recently on an Allegiant flight. Apparently booking through the Allegiant link on Google brought the price up more than she expected with all their "bundles" that Allegiant tacked on without her realizing, so she booked on the cheapest option, eDreams (about $15 less than directly from Allegiant). She didn't get a confirmation from them and their customer support is garbage so we called Allegiant and confirmed that she did indeed have a reservation. Everything went off without a hitch. I'd assume that if there were any changes or irops, that's where these undercutting OTAs would be able to make up for their ow up front costs. It certainly wasn't a scam, but it isn't something I'd want to take the risk on to save a few bucks.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by mc510

They aren't really, the reason you might see a better price is either because:

1) Currency conversion

2) Gogle offers for example in economy the standard option. Many airlines have 2-3 tiers even in economy these days and some sites will only pick out the airlines economy-light option (no checked baggage, no points earnings etc)
Old Nov 19, 2022, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I never found those emails to be helpful for ticket buyers. For example, there was a UA route I monitored, and the airline routinely dropped prices for ~4 hrs. The emails of a price drop would arrive long after the fare returned to the original level, to make it seem like the bottom was reached and it's time to buy. If you're interested in a fare, monitored it yourself. The emails are a tool for the airlines.
so, the Google Flights price change email notifications are far from real time, right ? Any better alternatives for closer to real time price change notifications ?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
so, the Google Flights price change email notifications are far from real time, right ? Any better alternatives for closer to real time price change notifications ?
I got the lowest price on a flight of interest by checking fares a couple of times a week. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are often popular for lower fares. If you require notifications that help you, you'll have to program them yourself. Can't expect Google Flights to undermine their own paying advertising customers (airlines).
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:22 pm

I got the lowest price on a flight of interest by checking fares a couple of times a week. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are often popular for lower fares. If you require notifications that help you, you'll have to program them yourself. Can't expect Google Flights to undermine their own paying advertising customers (airlines).
one of the alternatives I found is using ExpertFlyer to watch for when lower level/price fare buckets become available. Although not real time, it seems to me that EF performs checks for programmed alerts pretty frequently (multiple times per day)

any pitfalls with that technique ?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
I've been seeing some weird behavior with Air Canada fares on Google Flights. For example, I've been watching this EWR-YYZ fare.
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...p4cLJgXwDp1Qw7

Google Flights says I can buy it for $87 though Air Canada. But when I click through, I get the following error on the Air Canada site:
Old Jan 13, 2023, 10:16 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
I've been seeing some weird behavior with Air Canada fares on Google Flights. For example, I've been watching this EWR-YYZ fare.
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...p4cLJgXwDp1Qw7

Google Flights says I can buy it for $87 though Air Canada. But when I click through, I get the following error on the Air Canada site:
yep i have been seeing the same with some 1 day returns going to LAX/SFO seems to constantly error no matter what day. was looking at it for a mileage run but no luck booking the price i see
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
More UA/AC weirdness. GF seems to think I can get the following HNL-EWR-YUL fare on separate tickets for $971:
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...7JCscgRXqrzR87

None of the separate tickets buttons work and I get the console shows the following error when I click on either of the "Continue" buttons
Code:
Unhandled Promise Rejection: Error: ia`ved
Old Feb 23, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: SQ Gold, VA Gold, Marritt Plat, HH Gold
Hi all,

After some help with GF pricing.

I'm trying to put together a similar itinerary to this. Problem is, I cannot get the price originally displayed when I select the flights. It always changes once I've selected one or more flights (and often I'll get to the last leg and it won't find anything remotely in the range). This example starts at Euro 13,000 (4 pax) but ends up at Euro 50,000 by the time I've selected flights.

I vaguely remember reading something about this a long time ago but can't seem to find the cause or any workaround now.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks!

LT
Old Mar 16, 2023, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
How to permanently set my country setting on Google Flights?

Whenever I use Google Flights on my phone, the country and currency settings will be based on the country that I'm connecting from. Since I'm already logged into my Google account, I'm surprised that the settings aren't saved permanently. Is there a way to set it to USA and currency to USD permanently?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
... Is there a way to set it to USA and currency to USD permanently?
Have you tried to deny location access to Google Flights?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Have you tried to deny location access to Google Flights?
I suspect they'll still do IP-address-based geolocation.

VPN is one workaround (IME also influences whether your Google searches happen on the US site or local version)
lsquare and MaxVO like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.