Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

What service do you use to keep a log of all the flights you've taken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What service do you use to keep a log of all the flights you've taken?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I have not logged on to Flightradar24 for 4 years.
Now remember, and try to add flights from 2011.
To my dismay, all flights I added (so far tried 3) resulted in 100% wrong origin and destination. Any suggestions as to what I have done wrong, or how to get it fixed? Thanks.

BTW, I logged on with a browser on PC (not using facebook etc)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I have not logged on to Flightradar24 for 4 years.
Now remember, and try to add flights from 2011.
To my dismay, all flights I added (so far tried 3) resulted in 100% wrong origin and destination. Any suggestions as to what I have done wrong, or how to get it fixed? Thanks.

BTW, I logged on with a browser on PC (not using facebook etc)
You can manually change the details.
Yo don't need to accept the auto-populated fields.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mendy7511
You can manually change the details.
Yo don't need to accept the auto-populated fields.
I see.
Downside, doing it manually will take me a loooong time!

Thank you for the tip!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Just a few weeks back I discovered flightmemory.com in someone's signature and got hooked on tracking down all my flights. Bought a premium account, and tracked down the last 18 or so years of all my flight details, including finding most of the actual airplane tail #s . Took a lot of time just inputting.

I agree that flightmemory.com doesn't have the best maps, or interface. And just this week I found out about my.flightradar24.com - its so much prettier looking. I feel like flightmemory.com does a better job on the actually metrics though. I particularly like being how many times I've been on a specific aircraft (by registration #).

I wish flightradar would do more with the registration #s ... I understand that probably only a small fraction of users track to that level of detail though...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nearlysober
I wish flightradar would do more with the registration #s ... I understand that probably only a small fraction of users track to that level of detail though...
just curious - what level of detail are you looking for? See this photo with the various aircraft I've flown in the last couple years (I believe the link is in my sig in case you want to see it on the actual page).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:44 pm

Well I went ahead and manually input 18 years worth of flights into flightradar in the last 3 days

What I was referencing was the individual airplanes, vs. the aircraft model. Both sites track how many times you've flown on various models (assuming you input the data).

Both Flightmemory & Flightradar allow you to input your Plane Registration information... but as far as I can see, only Flightmemory outputs a report based on Plane Registration.

With that Flightmemory report I can see how many times I've flown on a specific airplane, and whom the provider was.
So I know the plane I've been on the most is N320AS 6 times with AS.
Or that I flew on N591NW once when it was with NW and then again a few years later when it was with DL.

I bet only a fraction of users actually input their plane registration #s ... or do what I did and spend hours tracking them down from various sources... so it's not exactly a big deal.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting idea.

I just downloaded my FlightRadar24 data and put it in Excel and sorted by registration. So I've only got a few years of data. But fun to see what planes I've been on multiple times. Usually they're on totally different routes, but I have a few that make a lot of sense.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:46 am

FR24 has a flaw - the flight duration calculation is not done correctly for regions which have a "half" time zone - India, for example, is 5 1/2 hrs ahead of GMT as are many other regions. It seems FR24 assumes time zones are +- a whole number from GMT which just doesn't make any sense. I have mentioned this to them but I was told they had no plans to fix it. This is a problem inherited from Flight Diary. I am now looking for options other than Flight Memory.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by 678flyer
FR24 has a flaw - the flight duration calculation is not done correctly for regions which have a "half" time zone - India, for example, is 5 1/2 hrs ahead of GMT as are many other regions. It seems FR24 assumes time zones are +- a whole number from GMT which just doesn't make any sense. I have mentioned this to them but I was told they had no plans to fix it. This is a problem inherited from Flight Diary. I am now looking for options other than Flight Memory.
I noticed this with FR24, as well as time zone issues with older flights through places like Arizona which have different time zone rules. Once I realized the flaw, it wasn't too big of a deal to go back and double check my data. I agree it'd be great to have it fixed, but I'm sticking with it as I like the UI/report view it creates. I also input everything into Flightmemory.com as a backup, but their UI is prehistoric.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I use flightmemory.com. I prefer it's interface and data presentation to some of the other alternatives. I like seeing the data presented in the simply tables with the route maps as well. Only issue is I feel like the site is a bit outdated and there seems to be a lack of support/updates? Would like for them to expand/update some of the country maps that they offer for premium customers.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Montoya080
I use my photos, currently on Flickr and Google Photos.

My approach is this: At the start of every flight, I photograph the boarding pass sitting on top of the plane safety manual, so I have a clear record of where I was, where I went, on what day, and what kind of plane I took.

I also do this for any kind of train ticket, event ticket, entering museums, concerts, and other venues. It's super useful for organizing my photos afterward, and provides a clear record.

This habit also helped me a lot for work purposes. Due to security background checks, I needed proof that I had entered South Korea. And South Korea does not stamp your passport, they give you a separate small paper certificate to confirm your entry. Fortunately I went through my old photos, and as per my habit, I had taken a photo of the South Korean certificate.
Why do you take a photo of your boarding pass with the plane safety manual?

SK doesn't stamp passports? Was that always the case? I haven't been there in ten years. Unfortunately I don't have my old passport with me at the moment or I would search for the answer myself.

Originally Posted by epiahtles
I have a spreadsheet that record all my flights, hotel stays, car rentals. I also track and record my every drives/flights/rides/etc with some apps (World Uncovered, Fog of World) and google location reporting. I've been doing this for 4 years and total distance tracked so far is somewhere around 2 million km. My goal is hitting 40 million km but I'm not sure I can do within my lifetime.
I have Fog of World, but not World Uncovered. Is it any better?

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 28, 2019 at 3:59 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 678flyer
Does it still make a mess of DST as well? Ihaven't updated in a few months, but IIRC it didn't do an accurate job of duration calculations for DST (or for not DST - it always has Japan as +14 from ET, IIRC).

BTW, I use Openflights, although I'm feeling the lack of support for it. my.flightradar is splashier but seems to have more flaws.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by lsquare

SK doesn't stamp passports? Was that always the case? I haven't been there in ten years. Unfortunately I don't have my old passport with me at the moment or I would search for the answer myself.
I think it changed in the last couple of years - piece of paper on entry ("proof of entry") and no departure stamp. Similar to other places as well, e.g., Hong Kong (and Canada for at least US visitors).
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by drewguy
I think it changed in the last couple of years - piece of paper on entry ("proof of entry") and no departure stamp. Similar to other places as well, e.g., Hong Kong (and Canada for at least US visitors).
I wonder why the trend is for countries not to stamp passports anymore?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This forum is for discussing tools, services and software used to optimize the travel experience, and this particular particular thread is about services used for keeping logs of flights taken.

If you wish to discuss which countries still stamp passports, etc., please start a thread in TravelBuzz.

Future off-topic messages will be summarily deleted.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
SteveinSTL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.