ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Thank you - I assume I can book this ticket in the US? Any way I can do it without a travel agent?

Originally Posted by Calchas
KLRCVAO is a public fare on public sale, it's been around for a couple of years.

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   KLRCVAO        K‡O   530.00     ----      -/‡  -/  - PA01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-SGN TO-EWR    CXR-UA    TVL-06JUL17  RULE-JN24 IPRP/3
FARE BASIS-KLRCVAO           SPECIAL FARE  DIS-N   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-SAP      OW-ADVANCE PURCHASE
USD   530.00  0502  E01APR12 D-INFINITY   FC-KLRCVAO  FN-8Q   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 13MAY15/1219  EXPIRES INFINITY
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Thank you - I assume I can book this ticket in the US? Any way I can do it without a travel agent?
You could call UA.

Without your dates, I cannot comment on the availability of the flights you desire as seen in the USA. But there is no restriction on the fare itself.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:28 am

You could call UA.

Without your dates, I cannot comment on the availability of the flights you desire as seen in the USA. But there is no restriction on the fare itself.
I'm looking at January 2, 2018. The same flights are $1,000+ on UA.com.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm looking at January 2, 2018. The same flights are $1,000+ on UA.com.
There's a married segment restriction which is zeroing the K bucket on UA 78 when the sale is made from within the US. This restriction does not appear to apply if the sale is made from within Vietnam.

The good news is that by setting the UA.com location to Vietnam/English, and then using the multicity search to specify the exact legs [SGN-TYO/TYO-EWR], I am able to obtain the flights for a grand total of 695 USD. This is a bit more than I had expected and I cannot explain why the 530 fare is not selected.

The bad news is that I have a feeling the payment page will demand that my credit card billing country is in Vietnam.

Some credit card companies don't check if the billing country is correct ...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:53 am

Thank you again for the help - very much appreciated! ^

There's a married segment restriction which is zeroing the K bucket on UA 78 when the sale is made from within the US. This restriction does not appear to apply if the sale is made from within Vietnam.

The good news is that by setting the UA.com location to Vietnam/English, and then using the multicity search to specify the exact legs [SGN-TYO/TYO-EWR], I am able to obtain the flights for a grand total of 695 USD. This is a bit more than I had expected and I cannot explain why the 530 fare is not selected.

The bad news is that I have a feeling the payment page will demand that my credit card billing country is in Vietnam.

Some credit card companies don't check if the billing country is correct ...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you again for the help - very much appreciated! ^
^

---

Is anyone else getting a white blank page instead of the normal ITA Matrix page?

It didn't work for me earlier when I was investigating 764toHI's query and now I am getting withdrawal symptoms ...!

Works for me now, must be a glitch on my end

Last edited by Calchas; Jul 6, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
Hello. Is there a means of having ITA Matrix exclude a specific fare basis from results? I'd like to see what the next-best fare will be after a currently available fare expires.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Interesting question, how can we make up for a missing "-F".
I shall omit the obvious answer to simply search without a fare restriction and ignore the unwanted fare basis. (but seriously, why don't you?)

One less obvious way would be to only look for fares that start with other letters, like so
F ..a-|..b-|..c-|..e- (omitting a fare basis code starting with the letter "d", for instance). But I haven't tried this with 25 letters of the alphabet, which you would neeed if you don't know anything about that airline's fare code structure

And of course, maybe you should rather look into ExpertFlyer for that
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armouredant
Hello. Is there a means of having ITA Matrix exclude a specific fare basis from results? I'd like to see what the next-best fare will be after a currently available fare expires.
Yes, use the ~ operator as a negation, in the form of f ~XX..basis, such as f ~BA..Y1N0O4C5 . Specifying the airline is optional. [You could also specify the city pair if you want to be particularly precise, for instance f ~BA.LON+NYC.Y1N0O4C5 would allow Y1N0O4C5 except from the LON-NYC tariff.]

If, for example, you wanted all BA fares except BA fare Y1N0O4C5, use the & operator to specify both restrictions: f ~BA..Y1N0O4C5&BA.. .

As WolfvanWeen suggests, ExpertFlyer can be better suited to this because you can set a ticketing date in the future to see what fares are presently scheduled to be available on that date. However it cannot price an itinerary for you.

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
One less obvious way would be to only look for fares that start with other letters, like so
F ..a-|..b-|..c-|..e- (omitting a fare basis code starting with the letter "d", for instance). But I haven't tried this with 25 letters of the alphabet, which you would neeed if you don't know anything about that airline's fare code structure
The problem with this approach is that there are many fares starting with the same letter.

Last edited by Calchas; Jul 14, 2017 at 2:30 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Great stuff there, Calchas!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:48 am

Wow, yeah that's perfect Calchas, thank you!

If I want to negate two (or more) bases, then, it'd be... f ~EK..T1QSPGB1&~EK..T2QSPGB1 ?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armouredant
Wow, yeah that's perfect Calchas, thank you!

If I want to negate two (or more) bases, then, it'd be... f ~EK..T1QSPGB1&~EK..T2QSPGB1 ?
I assume so ... try it and find out
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:45 am

I assume so ... try it and find out
(Yes, it turned out to be the case)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:24 pm

matrix.itasoftware returns incomplete list

For the past month or so matrix.itasoftware.com seems likely to return a very incomplete list of flights, even for very simple queries.

e.g. "One-way: Los Angeles to DFW, ORD, SEA, PDX, YVR, YUL, Thu, Aug 10" returns just 10 flights, and the only AA flight is to PDX.

Qualifying the carrier with AA+ returns 8 AA flights, including one to DFW but none to ORD.

Specifying just ORD as the destination (still AA+ for carrier) returns 10 AA flights.

Removing the carrier specification returns a total of 9 flights LAX-ORD, two of which are AA.

Not seeing a general outcry, I suppose I'm the only one with this problem, but it makes the tool essentially useless. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by JohnAx
For the past month or so matrix.itasoftware.com seems likely to return a very incomplete list of flights, even for very simple queries.

e.g. "One-way: Los Angeles to DFW, ORD, SEA, PDX, YVR, YUL, Thu, Aug 10" returns just 10 flights, and the only AA flight is to PDX.

Qualifying the carrier with AA+ returns 8 AA flights, including one to DFW but none to ORD.

Specifying just ORD as the destination (still AA+ for carrier) returns 10 AA flights.

Removing the carrier specification returns a total of 9 flights LAX-ORD, two of which are AA.

Not seeing a general outcry, I suppose I'm the only one with this problem, but it makes the tool essentially useless. Any thoughts?
I agree on the incomplete results. I usually use the "Send Feedback" link on the web page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.