[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:20 pm

Unblock me free

Avoid this application. It is addictive beyond belief. It is free. I have version 1.1.1.

In challenge mode I solved puzzle 11 in 18 moves, puzzles 4, 6 and 7 in 17 moves and puzzle 1 in 16 moves.

Can you beat me?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:58 am

Games

In addition to unblock me. I added blackjack, lfreecell, Sol Free, Hangman and word search, all free, and word wrap for 99 cents. All help pass time.

Blackjack is a decent version and has hints available to help you learn to play. Free Cell is a new addition and I've only started one game. Sol Free has several solitaire games and uses touch not drag for moves - much better IMHO. Hangman has lots of levels ranging from easy to very hard -- it is addicting. Word Search is well done but for me not worth the effort. Word wrap lets you make words from a group of letters. You can operate in timed or untimed mode. It too is addicting.

problem with all this is that my wife won't let me use the phone anymore. She keeps saying "but it's my phone." The phone yes -- but not my games!!!!

I still love my Blackberry for email. But the iPhone GS is pretty awesome. On wifi its speed is amazing. Get Speed Test to check your speed.

I hear my wife in the shower. Gotta go and grab the iPhone.

Bye.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Anyone try to the new flight control with dual mode. I think you need two people on the same wifi network for it to work out and I haven't had that yet. Sounds pretty cool though from the description -- basically you send some planes off to your friends screen instead of landing them while you keep up landing the ones designated for your airport.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
Originally Posted by adambadam
Anyone try to the new flight control with dual mode. I think you need two people on the same wifi network for it to work out and I haven't had that yet. Sounds pretty cool though from the description -- basically you send some planes off to your friends screen instead of landing them while you keep up landing the ones designated for your airport.
It uses bluetooth to talk to other iphones/ipods.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Ok. I tried out the 2-player mode in Flight Control yesterday. Overall it is pretty fun and a nice change from the normal game play. If you have a friend nearby who also likes the game i recommend that you give it a try at the very least.

A few things to note:

The game works by having two maps that are connected to each other either off of the left or right hand side of the screen. One player lands the pink planes the other lands the yellow planes and the helicopters. When a plane that is not your comes on to your screen you have to direct it off to the shared side of the map. When you send a plane off the edge it shows up pretty much unannounced, unless you say something, on the connecting edge of your friends screen. When I played the other day this was where almost every crash was happening even with our strategy of sending certain planes high and others low.

You play whatever map you have selected on the home screen when you go into the multiplayer menu. Meaning one person can be on the aircraft carrier and another can be on the original, for example.

It took sometimes almost 30 seconds for the phone to recognize that the other phone was trying to connect to start a session.

Again a fun improvement to my favorite game right now on the iPhone.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 11:20 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Best addictive time-wasting game: Paper Toss (free for the time being). Have you ever been bored at work, crumpled up a piece of paper and counted how many times you can make it in a small trash can?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Well I finally gave in and bought my first iphone a few days ago. I went with the 3G S of course. I absolutely love it. I have drained the battery everyday by playing with it all day and night.

My fave apps so far:

Tweetie (for Twitter)
Tweetdeck (for Twitter)
Facebook
Yelp
SPG Mobile
Fandango
Google Earth
Urbanspoon
Flight Track

I have 32 GB on the phone so I will be adding a lot more as I find ones I like.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fabulousflygirl
Well I finally gave in and bought my first iphone a few days ago. I went with the 3G S of course. I absolutely love it. I have drained the battery everyday by playing with it all day and night.

My fave apps so far:

Tweetie (for Twitter)
Tweetdeck (for Twitter)
Facebook
Yelp
SPG Mobile
Fandango
Google Earth
Urbanspoon
Flight Track

I have 32 GB on the phone so I will be adding a lot more as I find ones I like.
My new favorite is Tripit. You have to get a free account on their website and then you just forward the confirmation e-mails that you get from the airlines, hotel and rental car companies to [email protected]. Somehow they recognize your name and decode these and give you a beautiful itinerary including all your flight numbers and departure and arrival times, seat assignment, hotel addresses, rental car info, driving directions from the airport to the hotel and so forth. It is free for the basic version which is perfect I think even for most road warriors. You can share your itinerary with others - it is an amazing app. Be sure on your iPhone to go into settings > scroll down to Tripit and set Check for Updates to whatever you want - any updates you send to Tripit will not be posted for that time interval so if you want to see an update immediately set it for 5 minutes or whatever you can live with.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Originally Posted by Allanf
My new favorite is Tripit. You have to get a free account on their website and then you just forward the confirmation e-mails that you get from the airlines, hotel and rental car companies to [email protected]. Somehow they recognize your name and decode these and give you a beautiful itinerary including all your flight numbers and departure and arrival times, seat assignment, hotel addresses, rental car info, driving directions from the airport to the hotel and so forth. It is free for the basic version which is perfect I think even for most road warriors. You can share your itinerary with others - it is an amazing app. Be sure on your iPhone to go into settings > scroll down to Tripit and set Check for Updates to whatever you want - any updates you send to Tripit will not be posted for that time interval so if you want to see an update immediately set it for 5 minutes or whatever you can live with.
Thanks for the tip! I just added the app.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
My new favorite is LoseIt. It is a diet and exercise app. As I posted on another thread, I am really trying to do a lifestyle change in terms of what I eat and the amount I exercise as well as lose weight. This is a great free app to facilitate those goals.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:27 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/te...sics.html?_r=1

And http://www.reqall.com/about - the updated version requires new 3.0 OS so won't have a chance to try this until I upgrade my iPhone.

And downloaded my first paid app: HP 12C financial calculator. Very cool.....
one less thing to now carry when I travel overseas
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10273119-1.html

Last edited by dtsm; Jul 9, 2009 at 10:22 am
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
I just downloaded Frogger. Very Atari 2600, but I have been playing it like crazy.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Golf?

Has anyone tried the golf GPS system I'm seeing advertised? I knew it was only a matter of time before the dedicated golf GPS units would be obsolete!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
I played with Airport Lite. Has anyone bought that airport game? It is game about running and managing an airport.
Yes, I bought it and it was quite fun. If you're a fan of Flight Control, you'll probably like Airport Mania as well. The downside is that once you finish all the levels there isn't much else you can do with the game except replay the levels.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:56 am

Beware of Word Wrap

I mentioned it earlier. It costs $0.99. It is addictive. I haven't had a full night's sleep since I got it. My score is around 63,000 (not sure as my wife took her phone with her -- how mean!!!). My goal is 100,000.

I am not sure when it resets. I have had a game or two where I surrendered without finding all of the words without the score resetting. When learning I had some resets. Hope I can get to 100,000 without starting over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.