Ooma

Old Oct 17, 10, 9:41 pm

Programs: WN RR
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN View Post
Any thoughts/guidance/experience on making a fax work? I tried what it said on the Ooma site, but that didn't seem to work.
You need to have good bandwidth in both directions to make faxing work. To send, precede the fax number with *99 when dialing. This selects a high-bandwidth codec that works better with faxing. There is an option to select this codec as the default on my.ooma.com if the line is only used for faxing. This would not be a good codec to use for voice. so don't select that option if you also make voice calls with that Ooma account.
Old Oct 26, 10, 3:37 am

Any thoughts/guidance/experience on making a fax work? I tried what it said on the Ooma site, but that didn't seem to work.
I think you are better off in getting an online fax service as VoIP isn't reliable to use for sending fax. Ooma should add fax service in their services. I use VoIP from Onesuite but I also have separate fax service from them as faxing with VOIP is always a hit and miss affair.
Old Oct 26, 10, 7:22 pm

Programs: WN RR
Originally Posted by Takire View Post
I think you are better off in getting an online fax service as VoIP isn't reliable to use for sending fax.
Now that VoIP is supplanting POTS, what would truly be better is for: a) more fax machines to come onto the market that support FAX-to-email or b) FAX to quietly disappear from regular usage like telegrams did.
Old Nov 1, 10, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
A refurb is $119.99 on woot.com today. That's $20 less than the price in post 44 and $5 lower than the craigslist bottom price in post 34. If those didn't come with a $20 credit (the craigslist ones almost certainly didn't; I don't have a two-week-old woot page in front of me to see if that one did), up the differences by $20.
Old Nov 30, 10, 8:40 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
No idea how long this will last but as of this moment the Woot-off has Ooma hubs for $109.
Old Nov 30, 10, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
No idea how long this will last but as of this moment the Woot-off has Ooma hubs for $109.
Woot-off?
Old Nov 30, 10, 9:26 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
http://www.woot.com/
Old Nov 30, 10, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I think the best current deal, is the 199$ costco deal, new telo, new handset, new bluetooth dongle, 50$ calling credit, of course fees as per telo requirements, but I don't think there is any guarantee that these older oomas won't have fees.
Old Nov 30, 10, 11:52 am

Location: Lakeside, AZ, USA, in the beautiful White Mountains of Eastern Arizona (Home airport SOW; Major airports PHX/ABQ)
Programs: UA, MR
Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
I think the best current deal, is the 199$ costco deal, new telo, new handset, new bluetooth dongle, 50$ calling credit, of course fees as per telo requirements, but I don't think there is any guarantee that these older oomas won't have fees.
My fees amount to a whopping $3.47/month for my hub that I bought new from Costco last summer. I'm not complaining one iota!
Old Nov 30, 10, 2:51 pm

My fees amount to a whopping $3.47/month for my hub that I bought new from Costco last summer. I'm not complaining one iota!
Yeah, $3 or $4 a month, that's my Ooma bill too. It's like 5% of what I used to pay for POTS service with all the trimmings (voice mail, features package, long distance package, etc.)
Old Nov 30, 10, 2:59 pm

I only really mention the fess to the extent that:
a: their advertising really continues to promote the ooma as a BUY ONCE and NO FEES FOR LIFE service. of course they now have an asterisk on the box.
b: fees do add up over time, of course it is much less than a phone line, but it pushes the real money counters break even out further.
c: they really screwed up with the PR and marketing when they started to add the fees in without telling anyone, then having to explain, then having to do a large marketing campaign and fragmented product/pricing model to caputure older Hubs, previous customers, previous customer with premier, and without premier. New customers with older hubs, new customers with new hubs AND premier and without premier.

Internally, it must have been quite a logistical nightmare.
Old Jan 7, 11, 6:11 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Is Ooma down for anyone else?
Old Jan 7, 11, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Seems to be working fine here. Dialed out without a problem.
Old Jan 7, 11, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I searched on Twitter with keyword Ooma and there's only one complaint so far, and it was posted 11 minutes ago.
Old Jan 8, 11, 9:12 am

Seemed fine here in CA. no problems, lots of calls.

Search this Thread