Search

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 9:14 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
True, if it chirps, it will certainly draw attention to itself. If it pops a notification on their screens, they may be more inclined to check it out, open your suitcase.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:37 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Surveillance implies that something is being tracked or subject to being tracked. Whether or not someone other than the owner can track these tags, AirTags can be used to track people, animals, luggage and more.
Connotation vs Denotation. I suggest you look up the first several definitions of Surveillance on the web or on Wikipedia. While by the broadest possible definition, "a close watch kept over someone or something (as by a detective)" may loosely apply... I think we all are aware of the connotation and most common usage of the word.

Repeatedly calling it a "Surveillance network" is IMO being intentionally hyperbolic.

As far as "Surveillance," I'd be far more concerned about the actual phone in my pocket than airtags.
Old May 9, 2021, 6:06 am

Having battery-laden electronic items inside checked-in luggage may increase the chance of the TSA opening up the checked-in luggage for inspection looking for it. Just something to keep in mind when it comes to placing AirTags in checked-in luggage.

For how long or in what interval will the AirTags keep beeping inside checked luggage before it causes an issue? And if the thing is beeping, then who knows what some may do with the luggage.

If the AirTags being used in checked-in luggage aren't easily seen, easily accessible and easily removable and the screeners are looking for an alerting item, then who knows what happens next.
I assume you are not an Airtag user or potential customer? I wouldn't be too concerned about Airtags being in checked baggage. First, the tone they emit is fairly quiet and only lasts for a few seconds, sounding once or just a few times. Secondly, the button cell battery is a fairly common cell used in watches, portable alarm clocks, Selfie Sticks, camera accessories and other devices frequently used by travelers. I am fairly certain I will use both a Tile Pro, and Airtag in checked bags going forward. So far my experimenting has demonstrated each contributes features I find potentially useful. I hope to give a review of my testing and findings in the next week or two.
Old May 9, 2021, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by exp
True, if it chirps, it will certainly draw attention to itself. If it pops a notification on their screens, they may be more inclined to check it out, open your suitcase.
Seems pretty easy to take out the magnetic coil which creates the chirps. https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...er_in_airtags/
Old May 9, 2021, 10:57 am

I've been resisting buying trackers of any sort but seriously considering it for future travels. My scenario... On the plane, great to know they made the flight... But more valuable to me, especially in the current climate is that they're about to surface on the merry-go-round of death aka the carousel. Right now, I'd like to stay away from the crowds that gather around the carousel waiting for their luggage. If I knew my luggage was about to pop up, I could wait a bit back, then grab them as they show up and not worry about the groupies that all gather within the first 100 feet of the exit.

​​​​​​Is this a must? Of course not. But a nice to have.
Old May 9, 2021, 11:41 am

A word of caution, the range I'm experiencing with Airtags after a week is within 50 feet or so. Reports are that if in motion that may be reduced. That is one reason I'm trying out the Tile Pro trackers also. Their advertised range is "Up To" 400 feet and I have seen in excess of 100' or so on occasion. They also are much louder when you trigger a tone.

I still see myself going forward with both for luggage tracking, but it may be too early to tell. I really want to know my bag is on the plane/train/baggage cart if at all possible in my vicinity, or a thousand miles away. I read today that Tile is about to team up with Amazon for networking, but don't know exactly what that may bring to the equation.

What we all would like is a GPS tracker with a 1 year battery that will be effective indoors with no subscription fees. Not gonna happen.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by draver
I assume you are not an Airtag user or potential customer? I wouldn't be too concerned about Airtags being in checked baggage. First, the tone they emit is fairly quiet and only lasts for a few seconds, sounding once or just a few times. Secondly, the button cell battery is a fairly common cell used in watches, portable alarm clocks, Selfie Sticks, camera accessories and other devices frequently used by travelers. I am fairly certain I will use both a Tile Pro, and Airtag in checked bags going forward. So far my experimenting has demonstrated each contributes features I find potentially useful. I hope to give a review of my testing and findings in the next week or two.
There is no reason to assume that upon which the above question is premised. I've been playing with AirTags and Tiles already, including for the kind of uses that Apple has not referenced.

That the button batteries in the AirTags are very common in small electronics doesn't negate the reality that such batteries inside electronics placed in checked-in luggage increases the chances for checked-in luggage to be opened for a search.

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Connotation vs Denotation. I suggest you look up the first several definitions of Surveillance on the web or on Wikipedia. While by the broadest possible definition, "a close watch kept over someone or something (as by a detective)" may loosely apply... I think we all are aware of the connotation and most common usage of the word.

Repeatedly calling it a "Surveillance network" is IMO being intentionally hyperbolic.

As far as "Surveillance," I'd be far more concerned about the actual phone in my pocket than airtags.
It's indeed the actual iPhones that are the primary building block of Apple's crowdsourced surveillance network which makes AirTags as effective a tracker as they are. And, yes, network-connected smartphones should be the bigger concern when it comes to surveillance.

I actually front-ran the above post's effort to try to negate language even in the face of the perfectly appropriate use of language, so I'm not going to be moved by the semantics play at this point either. The language used in my posts about Apple's Find My set-up and AirTags is anything but hyperbolic: tracking AirTags is done by way of Apple's crowdsourced surveillance network which locates and reports on the AirTags location. There is just no getting around that what makes AirTags useful from more remote distances too is Apple's crowdsourced surveillance network.

Originally Posted by Need
Seems pretty easy to take out the magnetic coil which creates the chirps. https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...er_in_airtags/
He already has a video of using the AirTags for tracking the movement of domestic mail in the Netherlands. In more ordinary times, I would be sure one of his AirTags in Norway-bound mail will get faster to Norway than one of mine, but nowadays the mail isn't what it used to be even 16 months ago.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:32 pm

That the button batteries in the AirTags are very common in small electronics doesn't negate the reality that such batteries inside electronics placed in checked-in luggage increases the chances for checked-in luggage to be opened for a search.
I don't know if you have any reference material to make this statement. It would be interesting to peruse, unless of course it's an assumption? LOL

Last edited by Moderator2; May 9, 2021 at 8:11 pm
Old May 9, 2021, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by draver

I don't know if you have any reference material to make this statement. It would be interesting to peruse, unless of course it's an assumption? LOL
It's not an assumption. It's a conclusion based on tracking.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
So last week I shipped a package to myself via UPS from MKE to RDU (shipped home from a customer demo) with an air-tag in it. It was really cool to see the places it went over ~3 days. Looks like most of the trip was via rail (to the GSO center) then truck to the RDU hub and ultimately my crib. I could tell it was via rail because most of the pings were either along rail lines, or next to rail yards. Ultimately, I'd say anytime it was stopped (South of CHI, North of CMH), CRW I could see it's location update every few hours, presumably as either a UPS employee had an iPhone in the area, or someone with an iphone was near enough to the facility. I had it set to notify when found, and sure enough I got a notification.

I've also used them on a checked bag, and they worked great too. Could see it from the bagroom, and when onboard, it would show "near by" (although it couldn't seem to find an exact position, but I didn't try very hard).

I'm pretty impressed with how well they work. Will be interesting to see how long the batteries really last.
LIH Prem and Need like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD

I'm pretty impressed with how well they work. Will be interesting to see how long the batteries really last.
The battery is the same one we have in our Tesla keyfobs. Our keyfobs last well over 1.5 year with the daily used one. The spare keyfob last over 3 years and still have not needed to change battery. I would expect about the same with the Airtag as both were LE Bluetooth.
Old May 10, 2021, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Given how long the TilePro batteries last -- while also considering how people play with Tiles (by pressing a button on them) to page iOS and Android devices with Tile app running -- I would assume that the batteries in normally used AirTags would last for at least somewhere in the range of 9-20 months.
Old May 10, 2021, 5:44 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
So last week I shipped a package to myself via UPS from MKE to RDU (shipped home from a customer demo) with an air-tag in it. It was really cool to see the places it went over ~3 days. Looks like most of the trip was via rail (to the GSO center) then truck to the RDU hub and ultimately my crib. I could tell it was via rail because most of the pings were either along rail lines, or next to rail yards. Ultimately, I'd say anytime it was stopped (South of CHI, North of CMH), CRW I could see it's location update every few hours, presumably as either a UPS employee had an iPhone in the area, or someone with an iphone was near enough to the facility. I had it set to notify when found, and sure enough I got a notification.

I've also used them on a checked bag, and they worked great too. Could see it from the bagroom, and when onboard, it would show "near by" (although it couldn't seem to find an exact position, but I didn't try very hard).

Does it show a trail on a map where it's gone through?

Or what happens in areas where it's out of range of any iOS devices? Just a gap?
Old May 10, 2021, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exp
Does it show a trail on a map where it's gone through?

Or what happens in areas where it's out of range of any iOS devices? Just a gap?
Using Tile with a subscription plan provides a map of the movements based on the captured data points for the trackers; the free way to map the movements of the Tile without a subscription plane involves doing something that has been done with AirTags to generate a map of where the tracker has gone: repeatedly monitor the Find My data for the tracker and manually map the captured points of the tracker and try to fit those points to a route; that or have a script map the points and then plot the likely route between the captured points.

See the video link provided earlier about what was done to generate a map for the movement of the Apple trackers.
Old May 10, 2021, 7:22 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Oh Tile has a subscription plan?

good luck with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.