Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Old May 2, 2021, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
FWIW, sharing a review I did last week of the AirTags with specific reference to checked luggage. The presume was, can you use Apple’s AirTag to track your checked luggage as it arrives on the baggage claim carousel and then trundles out to meet you?

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...hecked-baggage

Snap summary: the answer turned out to be an unequivocal 'No', although there are other checked-luggage scenarios where AirTags could prove useful. Additionally, while the AirTag won't proactively announce its presence by sending an alert or notification to your iPhone once it's within Bluetooth range (which shouldn't be that complicated, and is actually what I'd love), this is something I think Apple could bake into a future software/firmware update.
I read this baggage tracking article and agree that Apple Maps will not give the resolution that might be required to find your luggage in an airport baggage claim area. However, there are many airport layout apps that have very detailed mapping that might lend their services to the cause. I suspect it would not be a monumental task for these apps to refine the layout to include the baggage carousel floor plan and then incorporate the tracking to that image. Seems like it could be a rather trivial update to solve this tracking problem. I'd certainly pay a few bucks for the app that gives me major airport bag tracking around the world. I realize the timely updates of the Airtags might still be an issue, but I believe Apple should be up to the task if enough public opinion suggests a patch. Perhaps even a simple Bluetooth mesh network in the baggage claim area would help?
djsflynn likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 5:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

A lot of people are forgetting that around 75% of people don't have iOS devices, so AirTags are of no use to them.

For the 72% of Android users, Tile will still be a great option.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 9:53 am
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by djsflynn
FWIW, sharing a review I did last week of the AirTags with specific reference to checked luggage. The presume was, can you use Apple’s AirTag to track your checked luggage as it arrives on the baggage claim carousel and then trundles out to meet you?

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...hecked-baggage

Snap summary: the answer turned out to be an unequivocal 'No', although there are other checked-luggage scenarios where AirTags could prove useful. Additionally, while the AirTag won't proactively announce its presence by sending an alert or notification to your iPhone once it's within Bluetooth range (which shouldn't be that complicated, and is actually what I'd love), this is something I think Apple could bake into a future software/firmware update.
Nice review. Can't believe they made it to Australia before I got mine.

Didn't know that they won't show up when moving on the belt. Would have liked to have seen it moving from the tarmac to the baggage claim.
Old May 2, 2021, 9:55 am
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Some creative ideas for tracking expensive camera gear.

Old May 2, 2021, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by exp
I think they could use the network but not necessarily the Apple app.

there are probably APIs they could integrate into their own app.

yes they can’t use the UWB chip to do what Apple demo’d. But they could have the Tile chirp from 30 feet away and that’s good enough.
Yup, they could use the Find My Network. You can see it on Chipolo page already.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
A lot of people are forgetting that around 75% of people don't have iOS devices, so AirTags are of no use to them.

Google is going to have an answer for AirTags. I think Tile eventually is going to join both Find My network and the Google one that will be out in a year or two.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:04 am

That may be true, however I just watched a review by a new Airtag user in London, England. He claimed he had been using Tile for a few years there. He also stated there were about 5,000 Tile users in London. That's out of a population on more than 9 million. Conservatively assuming 1/2 the population have cellphones, and 25% of those are iPhones, well you can see where this is going. This seems to indicate that the Apple ecosystem should already have a greater location probability that the current Tile system. I don't know if Tile publishes stats on market penetration, but it certainly would be useful for comparison sake.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:49 am
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

I think Samsung also has a tracker product, though not sure if it's only for Samsung phones or for other Android phones as well.

Again I think this is a niche category, even within the Apple ecosystem.

Though they will probably sell millions of them.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by exp
I think Samsung also has a tracker product, though not sure if it's only for Samsung phones or for other Android phones as well.

Again I think this is a niche category, even within the Apple ecosystem.

Though they will probably sell millions of them.
The Samsung Tracker is going to work amazingly... in South Korea! When we were there, I think everyone in the subway were using a Samsung phone. It is really hard to spot an iPhone. I think here in the US, Samsung is about 1/2 that of iPhone maybe even less. Within my family and my siblings' families, we have 9 iPhones, 2 Pixels, and 1 Samsung.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:10 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Well even AirTags will put up a display on Android phones.

So I would assume Samsung also uses bluetooth.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by draver
That may be true, however I just watched a review by a new Airtag user in London, England. He claimed he had been using Tile for a few years there. He also stated there were about 5,000 Tile users in London. That's out of a population on more than 9 million. Conservatively assuming 1/2 the population have cellphones, and 25% of those are iPhones, well you can see where this is going. This seems to indicate that the Apple ecosystem should already have a greater location probability that the current Tile system. I don't know if Tile publishes stats on market penetration, but it certainly would be useful for comparison sake.
I am kinda disturbed about these tags. Based on the last part (and it could be wrong) of this article.... if you want to opt out of helping people to find their tags, you have to opt out completely from the Find My network... So if all I need is the ability to find my ipad which never leaves the house (as an example) I have to help others find their stuff...

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how...tions-answered

That said, Tile is still a niche market item. Most people will not have heard about this and I suspect that many won't know they are unwittingly helping others. Frequent flyers will likely know about it (at least the tech savvy ones will). People researching for those who are often forgetful will likely discover them too. But for most others, I suspect the market still isn't there.

If the Find My feature is enabled by default (which I suspect it is.... I don't have an iphone to confirm) then I think Apple is being disingenuous. They should full face advise people that their phones/tablets may be assisting others in finding lost devices. At least with Tile you have to actually download the app to help others.
Old May 2, 2021, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Find My (and its predecessor app) is part of the default apps installed on all iOS devices. Whether it's enabled for tracking from the start, it can be turned off from working by adjusting settings. But Apple has the settings for adjusting FindMy buried sort of deeper on iOs devices than other apps since to change the FindMy settings, the person has to go from Settings > Privacy > Location Services > FindMy. To get to the point to adjust/disable Tile tracking, it is just Settings > Tile.

With Tile is there really any unwitting participation in the crowdsource tracking? With Tile the only people whose devices are helping to locate the Tiles are people who have the free Tile App and have that Tile app freely running with bluetooth and location sharing on while using the app or having the app running on in the background (depending on the settings enabled).

Apple sends notices frequently about the Tile app running in the background to Tile App users on iOS devices. And some have taken it to be that Apple has been trying to motivate Tile app users to turn off the app from running in the background and undermine Tile's crowdsource network in the run-up to Apple's launching AirTags.

Yes, when it comes to phones Android has way more marketshare than iOS. But maybe with AirTags in the picture and other Apple actions, Tile is a less great option than it used to be for both iOS Tile users and Android Tile users. Tile has a few different paths it could take in its time ahead, and maybe one of those paths is to jump into a closer-and-more-subject relationship with Apple and Apple's FindMy thing.

Tile works for both iOS and Android users. AirTags not so much at this point. Samsung already has a tracker type thing out in the market that work with both iOS devices and Android devices: https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-hom...m-v110azwaatt/ . But the Samsung trackers seem to have a different niche position than the Tile niche position when it comes to the US and Europe.

That Samsung tracker is a cellular/LTE network tracker more than a crowdsource network tracker. That Samsung tracker means paying for a subscription plan of some sort. AirTag and Tile tracking doesn't require any subscription plan for some crowdsource tracking benefits.

AirTags can be read by non-iOS devices with NFC reading capability. And so if an Android device user finds the AirTag and can read it with the NFC capability, then they should be able to help get it returned to the AirTag-owner. That is if they decide to go through the steps to do so when coming across an AirTag separated from its owner.

It doesn't take a very big installation base for crowdsource tracking to be effective enough to locate a device that can be read from 200+ feet away. TilePro is cheap and easily works for that purpose. Even in relatively small towns in Scandinavia and the Upper Midwest, I've been sort of surprised by how they've worked out. That said, I think Tile is going to have to lower the price of its Tiles and/or just go into selling TilePros at the cheaper Tile Mate prices or less in order to try to grow its free (non-subscription-paying) crowdsource network.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 2, 2021 at 2:28 pm
Old May 2, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget that part of the allure of the Apple ecosystem is the Apple ecosystem itself. For ardent Tile users with Android phones, switching to Apple with AirTags all of a sudden seems like a huge network upgrade.

I'm not saying Apple put out AirTags just to get more iPhone users, but with each related products (Apple Watch, AirPods, AirTags, etc.) Apple provides some people with more of an incentive to join up and start purchasing their products which heavily rely on each other.
Old May 2, 2021, 3:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by josephstern
Don't forget that part of the allure of the Apple ecosystem is the Apple ecosystem itself. For ardent Tile users with Android phones, switching to Apple with AirTags all of a sudden seems like a huge network upgrade.

I'm not saying Apple put out AirTags just to get more iPhone users, but with each related products (Apple Watch, AirPods, AirTags, etc.) Apple provides some people with more of an incentive to join up and start purchasing their products which heavily rely on each other.
That's a huge reach... I can see iOS people switching from Tile to AirTag (I did!), but i don't see many people switching from Android to iOS just for AirTags.
Old May 2, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a huge reach... I can see iOS people switching from Tile to AirTag (I did!), but i don't see many people switching from Android to iOS just for AirTags.
Did you read my next sentence?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.