Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Old May 27, 2021, 6:13 am

LOL. Thanks for doing a step test for both types of trackers. You've made a good argument for attaching your device to something. I've added silicon covers to my Tile Pros, but mainly to limit access to the phone ringer button. It does help quite a bit for false alarms and might just provide some protection from boot heels.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by draver
LOL. Thanks for doing a step test for both types of trackers. You've made a good argument for attaching your device to something. I've added silicon covers to my Tile Pros, but mainly to limit access to the phone ringer button. It does help quite a bit for false alarms and might just provide some protection from boot heels.
The TilePro was attached to a lanyard. It's about $44 to go grab a new one locally if I had the urge to quickly replace its discarded broken components with more broken components.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
At this point, Tile just needs to join apples find my service, and then differentiate with variety of tile options, carriers, etc.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Tile has already differentiated itself with a variety of Tile options and service plan capabilities. I wouldn’t be surprised if that San Mateo-HQed private company is acquired by a much bigger company with deeper pockets; nor would I be surprised if they may have hoped for Apple to have grabbed it at some point. At this point they may be paying attention to how the Epic Games vs Apple court fight turns out. [My bet is the judge on that is inclined to favor Apple at this point.]
Old May 27, 2021, 4:30 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I think it remains to be seen if this is that big of a market.

Apple will no doubt sell a lot of AirTags, from the publicity it's gotten and the pricing which makes it an impulse buy.

But Tile, especially if it requires subscription to get comparable features to the AirTags, probably doesn't have a viable business model.

Not sure why another company would re-acquire them. Maybe Google, just to make sure there is an item-tracking product for Android. But they also shut down a lot of products when it doesn't really contribute to the bottom line.
Old May 27, 2021, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Even without using a paid subscription, Tile delivers comparable or even more effective features than Apple AirTags.
Old May 27, 2021, 5:59 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even without using a paid subscription, Tile delivers comparable or even more effective features than Apple AirTags.

But is the company viable without those subscription revenues?

They can only sell so many trackers to the same user base. The subscription suggests that they weren't expanding their user base much so they are looking to get recurring revenues from the existing user base.
Old May 28, 2021, 5:03 am

I agree.

Even with a much smaller network, it does three things better than Airtags. It has a much greater locator range. They claim up to 400 feet, but I have tested and gotten at least 200 feet easily. It has a much louder alert when triggered, which can be heard three to four times the distance I can hear an Airtag. It can also ring my phone from the tag. These features solidified my decision to just use both for my peace of mind while traveling.

I'm somewhat anxious to see what features the Google Sidewalk network brings to Tile Trackers. I certainly hope they don't require new Trackers for that implementation.
Old May 28, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Except that there aren't a billion devices reporting Tile positions...
SEA-Flyer and gfunkdave like this.
Old May 28, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by draver
I agree.
Even with a much smaller network, it does three things better than Airtags. It has a much greater locator range. They claim up to 400 feet, but I have tested and gotten at least 200 feet easily. It has a much louder alert when triggered, which can be heard three to four times the distance I can hear an Airtag. It can also ring my phone from the tag. These features solidified my decision to just use both for my peace of mind while traveling.
As far as range goes, I'd say they're comparable but both have good enough range. The other two items are things that I suspect the majority of users don't care about. As long as they can be heard, IMO it doesn't matter whether they're 80 or 82 dB. I'd wager to say that most Airtag users already have more than one iOS device in their family, so the pinging of a phone (or any other iOS device) can be done from any of those devices. I would actually prefer not to be pinged by Airtags. Don't need some ramper/colleague/kid having a good time.
Old May 28, 2021, 9:32 am

Has anyone used these (air tags or tiles) at the carousel in airports? It's a good reassurance that your luggage is with you on the plane, but what about when you're waiting for your luggage to come up? What's the range like in that case (eg, just once it hits the top of the slide or pretty far back on the conveyor belt? Once it's out of the (likely) shielded area, it shouldn't be an issue to track down, but I think people would appreciate knowing that their bags are nearby and about to show up.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:24 am
Suspended

Tile Pro has far more of a communication range than AirTags. But that feature with TilePro doesn't necessarily make up for Apple's Find My crowdsourced surveillance network having a far more widespread presence than Tile's crowdsourced surveillance network. Depending on use case, TilePro is much better or much worse than AirTags for tracking.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Except that there aren't a billion devices reporting Tile positions...
As I noted above, Tile just needs to join Find My and be done with it.

why fight the Borg
Old May 28, 2021, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
As I noted above, Tile just needs to join Find My and be done with it.

why fight the Borg
What about all the tile users on Android?

-David
Old May 29, 2021, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
What about all the tile users on Android?

-David
Does joining Find My prohibit them from making an app that works on Android as they do today?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.