Reload this Page >

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Old Jun 5, 2021, 3:57 pm
exp
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Apple is a big fat target. Deep pockets make the mouths of the lawyers water.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I saw today that Apple is issuing a FW update to shorten the time before they start beeping when away from owner to 8-24hrs. They claim this is in attempts to prevent stalking*. To me this diminishes the value for Airtags. I don't want my airtags to start beeping while on a TPAC flight or while left at home while I'm at work.

*IMO AAPL is letting the tail wag the dog here. There are easier and more robust ways to stalk someone than airtags. If you have access to their phone its easy peasy to install a tracking app, or there's plenty of other trackers out there that don't require Apple or the find my network at all. Oh well.
Originally Posted by Need
Shortening the beep starting time is not going to do anything to deter stalkers. Stalkers can remove the speaker thing in 2 min. Why would they kept it inside especially when it is reversible. They can just put it back if they need to use the AirTag for non-stalking reasons.

If the main purpose of the AirTag is for luggage tracking, I would also remove the speaker thing. You really don't need it to beep to find your luggage and you don't want the tag to ever make beeping sound on the flight.
I definitely agree--the only part of the anti-stalk that makes any sense is the notification on the phone and that only works if they have an iPhone. The rest of it is just going to upset people. As it stands now it's a definite do-not-want to me.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by exp
Apple is a big fat target. Deep pockets make the mouths of the lawyers water.
Apple’s extremely deep pockets make Apple a very difficult target for plaintiff’s counsel. And real person plaintiffs generally don’t have bottomless pockets to wage an expensive legal battle against a much wealthier target operating in a federal court system stacked to favorite corporations; actually, they almost certainly have much more shallow pockets than Apple. My bet is that Apple already has a legal strategy in play for “oh he/she was harmed by a stalker using AirTags to track her/him” and ran such concerns by in-house and outside counsel.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
My bet is that Apple already has a legal strategy in play for “oh he/she was harmed by a stalker using AirTags to track her/him” and ran such concerns by in-house and outside counsel.
I am sure they have plans in place. It's not really if... but when. This morning, one of the top TikTok was some girl found a Tile in her purse after visiting the bar. She found it before reaching her home and it was a Tile instead of AirTag.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It will work anywhere that an Apple device can receive its Bluetooth signal and is connected to cellular or WiFi.
I'm not sure that's completely accurate. On a plan on Wifi, I often cannot get a location to show on my phone. I assume that my phone would not then report a Find My device's info back to Apple.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Need
I am sure they have plans in place. It's not really if... but when. This morning, one of the top TikTok was some girl found a Tile in her purse after visiting the bar. She found it before reaching her home and it was a Tile instead of AirTag.
Creepy, if it was a deliberate plant by a tracker to stalk somebody. Was nothing attached to the tracker?

This kind of potential situation is a reminder for people to get more secure purses — to avoid being as easily subjected to a deliberate or accidental planting of drugs or who knows what else — and to try to be aware even more so particularly around busy bars.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I saw today that Apple is issuing a FW update to shorten the time before they start beeping when away from owner to 8-24hrs. They claim this is in attempts to prevent stalking*. To me this diminishes the value for Airtags. I don't want my airtags to start beeping while on a TPAC flight or while left at home while I'm at work.

*IMO AAPL is letting the tail wag the dog here. There are easier and more robust ways to stalk someone than airtags. If you have access to their phone its easy peasy to install a tracking app, or there's plenty of other trackers out there that don't require Apple or the find my network at all. Oh well.
My bolding there - I believe that they've made clear that the AirTags will only beep when moved. I have one in my luggage and it stays at home while I'm at work and it hasn't ever beeped. I even went away for a few days with different luggage, and it didn't beep during that period.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
My bolding there - I believe that they've made clear that the AirTags will only beep when moved. I have one in my luggage and it stays at home while I'm at work and it hasn't ever beeped. I even went away for a few days with different luggage, and it didn't beep during that period.
That removes the worst of the problems. They should have said that up front!
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: United MP
Forgive my dumb question, but how do you know it didn’t? Does it notify you when it beeps?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:41 am
Suspended

My bolding there - I believe that they've made clear that the AirTags will only beep when moved.
That may be their intent, but I am betting that there will be some set of circumstances where there will be nuisance “anti-stalker” beeps from them even when the AirTags have not been moved. Those circumstances may not common enough to be a general nuisance, but still something some may want to consider as being a potential nuisance.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That may be their intent, but I am betting that there will be some set of circumstances where there will be nuisance “anti-stalker” beeps from them even when the AirTags have not been moved. Those circumstances may not common enough to be a general nuisance, but still something some may want to consider as being a potential nuisance.
What's "movement"? Something on a boat, perhaps?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The question indeed is what does Apple determine to be “movement”. Does fixed placement of a tracker on a moving boat counts as “movement” for this AirTag beeping purpose? Does fixed placement of a tracker on a docked boat or parked car where the encountered tracker detectors (i.e., iPhones most commonly) may be cutting back and forth between Danish and Swedish IP addresses count as “movement” for this purpose?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The question indeed is what does Apple determine to be “movement”. Does fixed placement of a tracker on a moving boat counts as “movement” for this AirTag beeping purpose? Does fixed placement of a tracker on a docked boat or parked car where the encountered tracker detectors (i.e., iPhones most commonly) may be cutting back and forth between Danish and Swedish IP addresses count as “movement” for this purpose?
I think it pretty much has to be an inertial sensor. It's certainly impossible for the tag to be determining it's own position (the power budget is way, way below what GPS needs) and I doubt it's based on asking the passing phone.

And note that docked boats move in the z axis.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:31 am

I think it pretty much has to be an inertial sensor. It's certainly impossible for the tag to be determining it's own position (the power budget is way, way below what GPS needs) and I doubt it's based on asking the passing phone.

And note that docked boats move in the z axis.
I think it will only beep when it is moving and in Lost mode and not near owner's i-Device for certain period of time? If it is in Lost Mode, it would be pinging other iPhones every 15 to 20 min to update locations. So from that, it could determine if it is moving or not?
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
You can know an AirTag's location because they ping any nearby iPhones via Bluetooth and those iPhones are reporting their own location and the AirTag's ID back to Apple (all with suitable privacy measures, they say). So "moving" surely means detecting that it has pinged an iPhone that is further away from it's last known location than its Bluetooth range. So if it is in a moving vehicle or moving boat then it's moving. If the boat is docked then it is not moving even if the boat is rocking. I would be very surprised if Apple added the cost of a motion sensor to the AirTag.
Need likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.