Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Free data/trials (control-f to find the actual section for each provider)
  1. Eskimo 1GB 2year
  2. RedBullMobile 100MB 1year
  3. Yesim 350 coins 1 year
  4. ExtremeConnect
Device
Be ADVISED: ALL Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong version of EVERY Phone DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT for eSim
  1. Best device = Apple iPhone
    1. Supports dual eSIM (most android phones w/ eSIM have 1 physical + 1 eSIM slot, but cannot use 2 eSIMs together)
    2. Depending on carrier, supports DSDV (VoLTE voice calls on sim1 gets routed through sim2.data, as though you were doing WiFi calling)
    3. Some androids might support DSDV
  2. esim.me
    1. Allows you to use eSIM on non-native eSIM device
    2. Requires supported/modern phone
    3. Pricey / confusing options
Useful search sites
  1. https://esimdb.com/
  2. https://esims.io/
  3. https://esimradar.com/

eSIM features to consider
  1. Network coverage
    1. which networks are supported (not all eSIM list the networks, and networks can change overtime)
    2. You may want to avoid lower-tier networks or if your phone doesn't support their LTE/5G bands
  2. Amount of data
    1. "Unlimited" data typically has fair usage in ToS/fineprint, eg 0.5-1GB per day or 1GB every 3 days, reset on 4th day midnight. may or may not allow hotspot
    2. Generally data-limited plans allow full-speed w/ hotspot, some offer slow 128kbps after you hit the limit while others cut you off immediately)
  3. length of coverage
    1. eg: 1 day, 3 day, 7 day, 30day, 180day, 365day, noExpiry
  4. Country coverage (single country, regional/EU, global)
  5. Proxy/Latency/IP
    1. Most eSIM providers route you back to their main network, which can incur latency
    2. Your searches will probably geo-locate back to that main network (instead of the country you're in)
    3. Some of your apps may not work (eg Pandora radio only works in USA, won't work in another country)
  6. Data sharing / transfering of eSIM to new device
    1. A few providers allow you to share data, so you can split one plan with multiple eSIM devices (Eskimo, Dent, Vegolink)
    2. Many providers only allow you to activate eSIM profile once. if you have to switch phones, you either lose that data, or have to pay a token amount to get a new eSIM profile with the remaining balance
  7. Price/GB
  8. How data is counted per session
    1. Usually in ToS, usually its rounded up per 1KB/10KB/100KB/1MB increments. Obviously smaller increment is better
  9. Method of activation
    1. Some providers require you to use their app to load the eSIM
    2. Others send you QR code and/or activation URL, for you to manually load onto phone
    3. You need valid network access (via wifi or existing mobile data) to activate eSIM
  10. Expiry countdown
    1. Some providers start counting down expiry once you purchase, or once you activate eSIM onto phone, or once you set foot into country
  11. Speed
    1. generally these eSIM providers get low priority, could be a problem if there is network congestion
    2. you may want to consider a proper provider over an MVNO
  12. Visual Voicemail - it seems depending on the phone and carrier, Visual Voicemail might require a Cellular Connection through your provider or their roaming partners. So, Visual Voicemail might not work if you are using a data-only eSIM with roaming turned off for your "home line"

Unique feature
  1. Ubigi
    1. free eSIM profile. If you don't have valid plan, the eSIM still allows you to connect & browse ubigi.me (and purchase data via creditcard/paypal)
    2. Seems native geo-located IP but still through a regional proxy with some latency (Transactel owns part of Ubigi, and Transactel has their own backend)

Longer term data (180day to no expiry)
  1. Yesim (coins expire 1 year)
  2. Dent (1 year)
  3. Eskimo (2 year)
  4. Esimplus (no expiry)
  5. AIS eSIM2Fly topup (365 day)
  6. 3HK (365 day)

PAYG data
  1. Yesim (varies, deducts from sharedWallet)
  2. Dent (10/GB)
  3. RedBullMobile (varies, need to prepay per GB)

Print Wikipost

eSIM thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by draver
It seems slightly odd to me that the capability an esim provides cannot be engineered into a hardware, simslot sim. Wouldn't that make sense, and generate revenue for an inventor? It would restrict a device to a single carrier at a time, but for travelers, that's not a big deal. Switching between esims is quick, easy and reliable. It seems to me that Apple is half way there with the Apple Sim already.
you don't need a physical sim slot for an esim, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm sure they could do what you suggest, but I don't see the value.

They want to reduce slots that open and expose the inside of the phone and take up space in the phone, so I would say in the future those hardware sim slots are likely to go away as with the headphone jack. I hope they provide dual esim support when the physical slots eventually go away.

-David
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by bukzin
Here is a list of esim providers sorted by coverage areas

esimdb.com
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
you don't need a physical sim slot for an esim, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm sure they could do what you suggest, but I don't see the value.

They want to reduce slots that open and expose the inside of the phone and take up space in the phone, so I would say in the future those hardware sim slots are likely to go away as with the headphone jack. I hope they provide dual esim support when the physical slots eventually go away.

-David
My desire is that the esim capability could be extended to non esim devices. As evidenced by another user here, there are a lot of fairly current phones and tablets that do not have esim capability. If it were a swappable product, the MVNO's around the world who only market esim services would have a much larger target market. Most Android phones that are more than a year old for example do not have esims, and iPhones before the Xr don't either. My sister in law just bought a Samsung 10s, one of their high end products which just launched a few months back, and it doesn't have one.
I've used the Apple Sim a few times to get roaming data and it's a nice option for travel. As I mentioned, it doesn't seem like a huge leap to carry that into an esim version. So apparently Apple sees the versatility of that function enough to offer that product.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:52 am

virtual [hone number are good in this

about using a virtual phone number instead of eSIM
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
New Google Fi customers can use eSIM on latest iPhones
https://9to5google.com/2020/04/16/go...i-iphone-esim/
LordHamster likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:51 pm

It does note appear that Android has that functionality. On my Pixel 4 (and 3A), I cannot use the data connection on one SIM to put through calls from the other SIM, even when I have selected wifi calling preferred.

Anyone able to do this on Android?

BTW, here is a thread on Reddit that starts with a screen shot of what it looks like on a Iphone: https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/com...tm_name=iossmf

Originally Posted by draver
My limited experience is that once your primary voice line loses it's service, if you are iOS 13.XX then it will default to using data from the secondary line. This equates to WiFi calling, so whatever rate your carrier charges for WiFi calling is what you will have. I'm on T-Mobile which does not charge for WiFi calls to/from the US while roaming internationally. I've been experimenting with this in the US for the past month or so, and it is quite reliable, with good quality calling also. I've used T-Mobile, Verizon, and 3 UK service for the data service and all perform equally well.

I have no experience with Android, but I understand the function is similar, isn't it?
Old May 12, 2020, 2:54 pm

Anyone sorted out doing this with Android?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Anyone managed to buy eSIM and get the Amex Wireless credit? I'm abroad now. Would be nice to "bank up" a few GB of eSIM data cards for when I return. I'm guessing Airalo won't trigger. I just bought a 1GB USA plan for $3. Amex App shows as "Airalo, Singapore."
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by CatJo
New Google Fi customers can use eSIM on latest iPhones
https://9to5google.com/2020/04/16/go...i-iphone-esim/
Existing customers can ALSO now leverage this.

Update: I'm currently experiencing the best of both worlds. I've got FI on my esim and just got a Visible sim as well. I'm currently using a Pixel 4XL, but same would work on iPhone.

I'm using Visible for domestic unlimited data, which rides on the Verizon network, but only costs $25/month! FI is hosting my primary number and messaging. The benefit of this setup is I don't need to worry about data amounts or Fi's hard Throttle, but when I go overseas I can just turn off the visible SIM and use FI as intended and benefit from their great international service.

Best of all, this the total cost is less than Fi's "unlimited" plan. FI would cost me $70+tax / month for 22GB after which it is throttled to 256k. With Visible SIM for data, I may get deprioritized due to congestion, but there is no hard throttle. Plus, Verizon seems to have better reception near me.
der_saeufer likes this.

Last edited by LordHamster; Jun 18, 2020 at 10:05 am
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Is anyone aware of a mifi that uses an eSim other than the devices that are locked to the manufacturer (like Glocalme)? Would be nice to have.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I use Sky Roam they use day passes in the U.S. , and other countries. In countries that they don't have an agreement with then you have to buy a sim card. I had my mifi before there was such a thing as Esim. They have a new model not sure if it has an Esim.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Looks like Sky Roam is now called Solis and you are locked into using their data. It’s more costly that buying data packs from T-Mobile.

Would love to be able to combine an Airalo eSim with an eSim capable mifi.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA peasant, QF tin, VA drycracker
People seem mostly positive about Airalo here and on an older thread , but negative reviews on Trustpilot are extensive (alongside a wealth of fake positive ones). Of course, there are going to be people who find the eSim thing technically challenging and therefore complain, but it seems like Airalo support is abysmal now. Any comments from people currently using Airalo?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by aspro
People seem mostly positive about Airalo here and on an older thread , but negative reviews on Trustpilot are extensive (alongside a wealth of fake positive ones). Of course, there are going to be people who find the eSim thing technically challenging and therefore complain, but it seems like Airalo support is abysmal now. Any comments from people currently using Airalo?
I used it recently in Canada and it was fine, easy to set up and worked as described. I’d definitely use again. But I didn’t need to contact them for anything. It’s highly possible that their customer service if things go wrong may not be great, particularly given travel numbers have exploded, so they may not have scaled support up to cope.
aspro likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
If you have a non-esim Android phone and can get a QR esim code, you can use https://esim.me - I bought one of these a few months ago and put a couple esims on it so far (T-mobile for the US and a temporary one here in Canada from Freedom mobile). You just get the QR code for any android phone (usually I choose pixel) and it seems to work - I had to try twice to load it on T-mobile though. The only one that didn't work was AT&T prepaid in the US but that could have just been bad luck.
planes&trains likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by aspro
I've used Airalo a LOT over the past few years. I know how to install eSIMs so I've rarely needed their support. The two times I contacted support couldn't have been more different, though. The first time I had accidentally deleted a live eSIM. They couldn't re-issue it so they just gave me a refund and told me to buy another. Easy, and solved in less than an hour even though it was my fault. The second time, my eSIM barely worked and wouldn't connect to LTE. Turns out they'd given me the wrong APN info when I bought it, but by the time support actually got back to me, my 5-day trip was almost over. To be fair, I was in Trinidad within weeks of the country re-opening to non-emergency visits by foreigners so I may have been the first to buy an eSIM in a while.

I don't know if my poor support experience was a one-off or part of a trend, but I'll continue to use Airalo regardless--it's not a product I'm likely to need much support for. That said, Three Hong Kong's "world" roaming package (available on eSIM from anywhere) is such a good deal at about 35 USD for a year that I only use Airalo in places Three doesn't cover.
aspro and ankurdotb like this.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Aug 13, 2022 at 9:37 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.