eSIM thread

Old Feb 5, 19, 6:47 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PWM - the way life should be
Posts: 11,695
eSIM thread

I thought I'd start a thread to talk about carriers that offer eSIM functionality on Android or iOS. On a lark, I just set up a Ubigi account and paid $5 for 500MB of data. It was surprisingly easy to do and works pretty well. T-mobile downloaded and uploaded at about 20Mbps in my speed test, while Verizon (my main carrier) did 120 down and 20 up.

I'm looking forward to using this in France this summer.

What other fun things have you found with eSIM?
gfunkdave is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 8:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 730
Can you tell us about Ubigi ?
not much on Google about it ,

Oops found the page , interesting and looks easy to setup as you can use PayPal
prices are not bad but not cheap either ,

let us know how it works out,

Thanks

Last edited by LAXlocal; Feb 13, 19 at 9:08 am
LAXlocal is offline  
Old Feb 13, 19, 11:27 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PWM - the way life should be
Posts: 11,695
It worked fine. I'll use them again when I go to France this summer. Much cheaper than Verizon's $10/day roaming.
gfunkdave is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 9:44 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Posts: 4,590
Interesting. I've been keeping a Vodafone NL SIM alive for use in Europe -- it is €15 for 2GB, €20 for 3GB in a month (30 days) good all over the EU. And often there is a special where they double the data. My original plan was to move my T-Mobile plan over to the eSIM and put the Vodafone in for data. But T-Mobile seems to be taking forever to release the eSIM for post paid plans (and yes I know if you work the reps you might get it to work). This is a tad more expensive but gives more options should I travel somewhere else. And I don't have to wait for T-Mobile
powerlifter likes this.
TheMadBrewer is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 6:18 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,124
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
Interesting. I've been keeping a Vodafone NL SIM alive for use in Europe -- it is Ä15 for 2GB, Ä20 for 3GB in a month (30 days) good all over the EU. And often there is a special where they double the data. My original plan was to move my T-Mobile plan over to the eSIM and put the Vodafone in for data. But T-Mobile seems to be taking forever to release the eSIM for post paid plans (and yes I know if you work the reps you might get it to work). This is a tad more expensive but gives more options should I travel somewhere else. And I don't have to wait for T-Mobile
I agree this is interesting. I also had initially thought that I'd try to use an eSIM for my primary carrier and then buy local physical SIMs when traveling. What I like about this concept, assuming its dependable and cost competitive, is I don't have to hassle with waiting in line at an Orange shop in Paris for 20 minutes, then taking another 20 minutes to get the deal done (and having them photocopy my passport, etc.)

This is very interesting indeed. Curious to see if others offer a competing product in this eSIM space.

Regards
scubadu is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 9:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI,IAD,DCA
Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Posts: 599
I too like The Mad Brewer have been waiting on t-mobile to get the e-sim on post-paid plans. Leaving at the end of the month wish I could just have my eSim working so I could have my Three sim card in the slot. Or Three had an eSim compatible sim card.
powerlifter is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:24 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 397
Anyone have experience wit GigSky eSIM? Pricing is higher than Ubigi, but looks a bit more polished. Also, Ubigi site says 'Data Roaming' setting needs to be set to On, which worries me when traveling internationally - what if Ubigi 'fails' somehow and then my primary account data gets used. With GigSky data roaming is left off (according to their site), as their service is 'local' to the country you are using it in. There always seems to be trade-offs.
PackingIt is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:28 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 397
This is a big part of my interest as well. In some countries it is quite easy to get a prepaid SIM, but in others it is a pain. Your reference to Paris made me laugh, as my experience took closer to an hour before I finally had a working SIM. I'd just rather not have to give up that time dealing with a SIM.

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
... What I like about this concept, assuming its dependable and cost competitive, is I don't have to hassle with waiting in line at an Orange shop in Paris for 20 minutes, then taking another 20 minutes to get the deal done (and having them photocopy my passport, etc.)
Regards
PackingIt is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 10:06 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,124
Originally Posted by PackingIt View Post
This is a big part of my interest as well. In some countries it is quite easy to get a prepaid SIM, but in others it is a pain. Your reference to Paris made me laugh, as my experience took closer to an hour before I finally had a working SIM. I'd just rather not have to give up that time dealing with a SIM.
LOL, oh mine likely was much closer to an hour as well, I was just being nice!

And in some ways, the whole photocopy your passport thing is actually more annoying/concerning to me than the time, but certainly would just prefer to hit the ground running, no fuss no muss.

Regards
scubadu is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 1:47 pm
  #10  
Used to be RichardKopf
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Posts: 932
Originally Posted by PackingIt View Post
Anyone have experience wit GigSky eSIM? Pricing is higher than Ubigi, but looks a bit more polished. Also, Ubigi site says 'Data Roaming' setting needs to be set to On, which worries me when traveling internationally - what if Ubigi 'fails' somehow and then my primary account data gets used. With GigSky data roaming is left off (according to their site), as their service is 'local' to the country you are using it in. There always seems to be trade-offs.
I tried GigSky in December in Korea and Japan. My home plan allows 2GB a month in other countries but that doesnít last me through a 2-3 week trip. It is possible to buy a SIM in Japan, plus one in Korea, but you have to go to a shop, set it up, etc, plus your home number wonít work while youíre using a different SIM, so GigSky was worth a try, as I love the idea of always having my home SIM available while travelling. Itís not a bargain, but it was definitely worth it for me to have internet as soon as I landed in Seoul and again in Osaka. The Gigsky setup was quick and easy, it basically does itself. I used the eSIM until the data ran out, then switched to my home SIM. Worked perfectly and Iíll definitely do it again for trips around this length.
PackingIt likes this.
BonViveur is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 5:02 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Posts: 4,590
The only issue I see of the top with GigSky is the plan's terms are a bit short -- 15 days for 2GB plan. That would probably be enough but occasionally my trips are a bit longer: 16-18 days or even 3 full weeks. I could use my T-Mobile plan for the extra days and be OK, but it would be nice if the plan lasted longer.
TheMadBrewer is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 10:37 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 397
For trips that long, it may still be worth it to you to just get a local SIM.

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
The only issue I see of the top with GigSky is the plan's terms are a bit short -- 15 days for 2GB plan. That would probably be enough but occasionally my trips are a bit longer: 16-18 days or even 3 full weeks. I could use my T-Mobile plan for the extra days and be OK, but it would be nice if the plan lasted longer.
PackingIt is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 10:42 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 397
Thanks for the info! Iíve also been impressed at how quickly theyíve responded to my CS emails. I obviously want to pay as little as possible for data when traveling, but also want confidence that it will work when needed and as advertised. When traveling, be it for pleasure or work, I donít want to be worrying about this aspect of the trip.

Originally Posted by BonViveur View Post
I tried GigSky in December in Korea and Japan. My home plan allows 2GB a month in other countries but that doesnít last me through a 2-3 week trip. It is possible to buy a SIM in Japan, plus one in Korea, but you have to go to a shop, set it up, etc, plus your home number wonít work while youíre using a different SIM, so GigSky was worth a try, as I love the idea of always having my home SIM available while travelling. Itís not a bargain, but it was definitely worth it for me to have internet as soon as I landed in Seoul and again in Osaka. The Gigsky setup was quick and easy, it basically does itself. I used the eSIM until the data ran out, then switched to my home SIM. Worked perfectly and Iíll definitely do it again for trips around this length.
PackingIt is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:27 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Posts: 4,590
Originally Posted by PackingIt View Post
For trips that long, it may still be worth it to you to just get a local SIM.
That is what I do now but entails two phones (since I have to be available on my US number). Before the Euro Tariff it would require a local SIM for each country but now I just have a Dutch Vodafone SIM I keep alive (can top-up with US credit card) which is good in EU + Switzerland. Plan was to transfer my T-Mobile postpaid to the eSIM but TMO has been dragging their feet so this (Ubigi/GigSky) seems like an alternative.
TheMadBrewer is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:30 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,514
I'd be interested in Thai AIS Sim2Fly roaming sim within Asia & AU if it were a little easier to top up SIM2FLY the best-value roaming SIM for everyone! They currently only setup eSIM in store and top up can be tricky outside Thailand for non-Thai residents. They also offer a "Global" 15 GB/1 year for ~ $90 USD = $ 6 per GB. It might be an interesting option for those who can't get/don't want ProjectFi/T-Mobile and want to minimize some of the local sim signup hassles. Same plan is available with a physical sim.

Are there any other non-US local sims with better roaming packages than global roaming providers?
freecia is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread