Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Free data/trials (control-f to find the actual section for each provider)
  1. Eskimo 1GB 2year
  2. RedBullMobile 100MB 1year
  3. Yesim 350 coins 1 year
  4. ExtremeConnect
Device
Be ADVISED: ALL Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong version of EVERY Phone DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT for eSim
  1. Best device = Apple iPhone
    1. Supports dual eSIM (most android phones w/ eSIM have 1 physical + 1 eSIM slot, but cannot use 2 eSIMs together)
    2. Depending on carrier, supports DSDV (VoLTE voice calls on sim1 gets routed through sim2.data, as though you were doing WiFi calling)
    3. Some androids might support DSDV
  2. esim.me
    1. Allows you to use eSIM on non-native eSIM device
    2. Requires supported/modern phone
    3. Pricey / confusing options
Useful search sites
  1. https://esimdb.com/
  2. https://esims.io/
  3. https://esimradar.com/

eSIM features to consider
  1. Network coverage
    1. which networks are supported (not all eSIM list the networks, and networks can change overtime)
    2. You may want to avoid lower-tier networks or if your phone doesn't support their LTE/5G bands
  2. Amount of data
    1. "Unlimited" data typically has fair usage in ToS/fineprint, eg 0.5-1GB per day or 1GB every 3 days, reset on 4th day midnight. may or may not allow hotspot
    2. Generally data-limited plans allow full-speed w/ hotspot, some offer slow 128kbps after you hit the limit while others cut you off immediately)
  3. length of coverage
    1. eg: 1 day, 3 day, 7 day, 30day, 180day, 365day, noExpiry
  4. Country coverage (single country, regional/EU, global)
  5. Proxy/Latency/IP
    1. Most eSIM providers route you back to their main network, which can incur latency
    2. Your searches will probably geo-locate back to that main network (instead of the country you're in)
    3. Some of your apps may not work (eg Pandora radio only works in USA, won't work in another country)
  6. Data sharing / transfering of eSIM to new device
    1. A few providers allow you to share data, so you can split one plan with multiple eSIM devices (Eskimo, Dent, Vegolink)
    2. Many providers only allow you to activate eSIM profile once. if you have to switch phones, you either lose that data, or have to pay a token amount to get a new eSIM profile with the remaining balance
  7. Price/GB
  8. How data is counted per session
    1. Usually in ToS, usually its rounded up per 1KB/10KB/100KB/1MB increments. Obviously smaller increment is better
  9. Method of activation
    1. Some providers require you to use their app to load the eSIM
    2. Others send you QR code and/or activation URL, for you to manually load onto phone
    3. You need valid network access (via wifi or existing mobile data) to activate eSIM
  10. Expiry countdown
    1. Some providers start counting down expiry once you purchase, or once you activate eSIM onto phone, or once you set foot into country
  11. Speed
    1. generally these eSIM providers get low priority, could be a problem if there is network congestion
    2. you may want to consider a proper provider over an MVNO
  12. Visual Voicemail - it seems depending on the phone and carrier, Visual Voicemail might require a Cellular Connection through your provider or their roaming partners. So, Visual Voicemail might not work if you are using a data-only eSIM with roaming turned off for your "home line"

Unique feature
  1. Ubigi
    1. free eSIM profile. If you don't have valid plan, the eSIM still allows you to connect & browse ubigi.me (and purchase data via creditcard/paypal)
    2. Seems native geo-located IP but still through a regional proxy with some latency (Transactel owns part of Ubigi, and Transactel has their own backend)

Longer term data (180day to no expiry)
  1. Yesim (coins expire 1 year)
  2. Dent (1 year)
  3. Eskimo (2 year)
  4. Esimplus (no expiry)
  5. AIS eSIM2Fly topup (365 day)
  6. 3HK (365 day)

PAYG data
  1. Yesim (varies, deducts from sharedWallet)
  2. Dent (10/GB)
  3. RedBullMobile (varies, need to prepay per GB)

Print Wikipost

eSIM thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
TMo refused to do this over the app and told me to go to a store (I had previously tried but there were too many people ahead of me). Hitting the store in the morning I was able to get this done in around 15 minutes, with a moderately clueless rep who basically read my esim code over the phone. Off to Europe in a bit and will try to see how it works with my Vodafone sim.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Is it worth it to try to switch the AT&T plan over to the eSIM, given that AT&T sells locked iPhones that cannot be used on other networks until you pay off the phone and go through the unlock process?
If your phone is locked, then I wouldn’t bother. You won’t be able to insert a physical SIM from another carrier and have it work.

My phone is unlocked. It took the AT&T store 10 minutes to move my service to an eSIM. And half of that was waiting for the safe to open so they could get an eSIM kit out. When they first tried to scan the activation barcode, it gave an error about not being able to successfully activate the cellular plan, but after a quick reboot it activated just fine. Rocking AT&T eSIM and a Google Fi physical SIM for use while traveling overseas.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Magna
I finally got an AT&T rep willing to sort things out and knew what to do, which is basically checking if long strings of numbers match up. Some reps are willing to help, but are not trained to troubleshoot. But too many reps in "Advance Tech Support" know what has to be done, but aren't willing to go through the hassle. Literally, 3 Advance Tech Support reps were supposed to get back to me and none of them did. One said he would call me back in 5 minutes that he just had to move to another computer! We confirmed the phone number he was going to call me back on, even though I know he knows the number I'm calling from, but he never called back. I finally said I'm willing to wait and finally got a rep to set it up. The wait was an hour and it took another hour to finally get set up. Previously, during other attempts it was at least an hour, so I probably put in a total of 10 hours. Either they're unstaffed or many people having issues. It should only take 15 minutes, but the rep screwed it up the first time and it took me 10 hours to get it fixed.

Not sure why they insist we pick up an eSIM card with a QR code. On the iPhone you can manually enter in numbers to activate, but AT&T insist we scan a QR code. And in an AT&T store SIMs costs $5! But in an Apple Store it's free. But many Apple reps don't know they have them?!? And one Apple rep insist they didn't carry them. In the end, it's worth the hours to set up the eSIM and not have to have 2 phones for 2 numbers. . . I think.
Thanks! One other quick question: does using an eSIM for my main AT&T number (with international roaming) mean that my phone will be LESS usable abroad, since not all countries' GSM networks support eSIM technology? Or does it not work that way?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
If your phone is locked, then I wouldn’t bother. You won’t be able to insert a physical SIM from another carrier and have it work.

My phone is unlocked. It took the AT&T store 10 minutes to move my service to an eSIM. And half of that was waiting for the safe to open so they could get an eSIM kit out. When they first tried to scan the activation barcode, it gave an error about not being able to successfully activate the cellular plan, but after a quick reboot it activated just fine. Rocking AT&T eSIM and a Google Fi physical SIM for use while traveling overseas.

Thanks!!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Thanks! One other quick question: does using an eSIM for my main AT&T number (with international roaming) mean that my phone will be LESS usable abroad, since not all countries' GSM networks support eSIM technology? Or does it not work that way?
From the network's perspective, an eSim is exactly the same as a SIM card.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:05 am

Anyone know the total number of eSIMs an iPhone will hold? I found one source that said up to 10, but also saw other sources saying less than this. Anyone reached 6+ eSIM profiles yet?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by boardsports
Anyone know the total number of eSIMs an iPhone will hold? I found one source that said up to 10, but also saw other sources saying less than this. Anyone reached 6+ eSIM profiles yet?
As far as I know, the iPhone only have one e-SIM and one physical SIM slots.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lsquare
As far as I know, the iPhone only have one e-SIM and one physical SIM slots.
The eSIM-capable iPhones can hold one phyiscal SIM and multiple eSIMs. But amongst the multiple eSIMs stored on the phone, only one eSIM can be used at a time.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:30 am

Don't quote me, but I recall a statement from one of the prepaid esim FAQ's that up to 50 esims can be stored on capable phones. I have no idea if this is true or varies by phone make & model, but it was in print on a prepaid website. I have no idea which one, and it could be just BS, but it shouldn't require much data space, so I can see it being possible.

But wait, there's more!

I just did a little research on the subject and found a GSMA eSim Whitepaper with this quote:

How much memory will be available in an eUICC and how many Profiles can be stored into it?

The memory of an eUICC can range from several KB to several MB. There is no specific limit on the number of Profiles that can be stored on an eUICC, this depends only on memory available and the size of Profiles. Operators could manage Profile sizes to fit them in the eUICC.

Reference: https://www.gsma.com/esim/wp-content...aper-v4.11.pdf
boardsports likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:35 am

I don't know the maximum number, but as I use 3 eSIMs an 1 physical SIM on my XSmax, I can tell, 3 works fine. Of course only physical SIM + 1 eSIM at a time.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by draver
How much memory will be available in an eUICC and how many Profiles can be stored into it?

The memory of an eUICC can range from several KB to several MB. There is no specific limit on the number of Profiles that can be stored on an eUICC, this depends only on memory available and the size of Profiles. Operators could manage Profile sizes to fit them in the eUICC.

Reference: https://www.gsma.com/esim/wp-content...aper-v4.11.pdf
This would explain why there is little consensus on this topic. I have seen three different numbers stated on three different carrier websites, the highest being 10 and lowest 5. Either way seems like you had better put good labels on your eSIMs to keep track.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by boardsports
This would explain why there is little consensus on this topic. I have seen three different numbers stated on three different carrier websites, the highest being 10 and lowest 5. Either way seems like you had better put good labels on your eSIMs to keep track.
Good point on the labeling. I generally call them by either the country or date I intend to use them during. Lots of flexibility here fortunately since iPhones gives you a custom name option, and the name is easily edited.
GUWonder and boardsports like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It worked fine. I'll use them again when I go to France this summer. Much cheaper than Verizon's $10/day roaming.
Yeah, I think Americans pay some of the highest phone rates in the modern world.

Ask a Frenchmen how much data they get each month and what it costs.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:41 pm

Yeah, same for the newer Android phones. Not sure how many esims can be downloaded in my Pixel 3a.

Gotta say, I’m loving the ATT data rates I got for US usage from Airalo.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bukzin
Yeah, I think Americans pay some of the highest phone rates in the modern world.

Ask a Frenchmen how much data they get each month and what it costs.
Ask Canadians what we pay!!! I'd give several body parts to pay American prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.