Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by pinniped
My emails to Google were never answered.

I'm back on hold with them today - at this point, I just want my delivery canceled and the money charged to my credit card refunded.

This entire experience is a joke. I guess "free"(ish) phones were too good to be true.
If you want to give it one more try, I got the best results for my delivery issues (two failed delivery attempts, when address was correct and I was home all day) by sending a message on Twitter to @FedexHelp. Their initial response took an hour, but after that, they were able to reach out to the facility and get the driver to give me a call. Once I spoke to him, he was able to ballpark a time of day that he would arrive, and he called me again when he arrived.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:07 am

Fedex Ground (likely the carrier for your original shipment) and Fedex Express (for your 2-day one) are pretty different. Ground drivers are subcontractors and really a different group with very different rules. Express should be much more professional.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:09 am

I got my Fi phone. Activated it, no problem. It has an eSIM, so no SIM came, but I had a data-only SIM that I activated also. I put that in my iPhone and it seems to be fine. The number worked on it, etc.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
I got my Fi phone. Activated it, no problem. It has an eSIM, so no SIM came, but I had a data-only SIM that I activated also. I put that in my iPhone and it seems to be fine. The number worked on it, etc.
What do you mean by "The number worked on it"? data-only Sim doesn't have a phone number right? I thought if you put the Fi data sim in an iPhone, you would not be able to use the dialer?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Need
What do you mean by "The number worked on it"? data-only Sim doesn't have a phone number right? I thought if you put the Fi data sim in an iPhone, you would not be able to use the dialer?
Right - I didn't expect it to work like that, but it did.

I think I actually had the SIM in the Pixel phone when I activated that one, so maybe I really activated the physical SIM and didn't realize it?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
If you want to give it one more try, I got the best results for my delivery issues (two failed delivery attempts, when address was correct and I was home all day) by sending a message on Twitter to @FedexHelp. Their initial response took an hour, but after that, they were able to reach out to the facility and get the driver to give me a call. Once I spoke to him, he was able to ballpark a time of day that he would arrive, and he called me again when he arrived.
OK, will try it. Probably my final option...

Waited on hold for 27 minutes today. That's unacceptable, period, and if FedEx doesn't work I'm just going to let the phones go back to Google where I assume they will refund me and close out my account.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Right - I didn't expect it to work like that, but it did.

I think I actually had the SIM in the Pixel phone when I activated that one, so maybe I really activated the physical SIM and didn't realize it?
I think you can see it on your account. You should have 2 devices showing like this:
2 Devices
Google Pixel 3 XL, Data-only SIM

I activated my Data-only SIM online and then just pop it in my T-mobile tablet.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Need
I think you can see it on your account. You should have 2 devices showing like this:
2 Devices
Google Pixel 3 XL, Data-only SIM

I activated my Data-only SIM online and then just pop it in my T-mobile tablet.
Cool. Thanks. I only have one device, so I guess I activated the SIM successfully instead of the eSIM. That's perfect.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by estnet
nope - no response to emails and wait times saying 1 hour aren't answered in 2 or 3 (well that's when I gave up) AND the question I have is answered incorrectly in their online support!!!!
Still not heard back from my email. Over a week now. Total joke!!!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Got my Pixel 3 XL today and activation with porting my number over was super easy and took only a few minutes. Adjusting to Android after 8 years of iOS isn't too bad with the tether data transfer.
In my Fi app they are offering a $100 referral credit (to the account holder not the person being referred) which is much higher than the usual bonus.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
BTW, this actually worked! Thanks for the tip... The Twitter support was able to redirect the package to a FedEx / Kinko's location and I picked it up there. The automated alerts were a little wonky, because I still think somewhere in their system is Google's stupid request that it *not* be picked up at a FedEx location. I could tell that even the person who handed over the package had to do something strange in their system. But in the end, I was able to show ID, sign for it, and take the box home. So praise to the Twitter support rep - they can obviously do some magic that FedEx's phone support and website could not.

Will complete activation and porting process this weekend. I hope that works seamlessly, because if there are problems I have no idea what to do next. We have a Google Fiber store near us that actually has humans helping customers (and I've been there - they're good) but no idea if they know anything about Fi.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
BTW, this actually worked! Thanks for the tip... The Twitter support was able to redirect the package to a FedEx / Kinko's location and I picked it up there. The automated alerts were a little wonky, because I still think somewhere in their system is Google's stupid request that it *not* be picked up at a FedEx location. I could tell that even the person who handed over the package had to do something strange in their system. But in the end, I was able to show ID, sign for it, and take the box home. So praise to the Twitter support rep - they can obviously do some magic that FedEx's phone support and website could not.

Will complete activation and porting process this weekend. I hope that works seamlessly, because if there are problems I have no idea what to do next. We have a Google Fiber store near us that actually has humans helping customers (and I've been there - they're good) but no idea if they know anything about Fi.
Great news, glad it worked. I'm not a fan/user of twitter in general, so it frustrates me when any company twitter support can do things better or faster than phone support, but it is what it is.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
In my app they also offer referral bonus of $20 for the new customer and $100 for the people who refer but there is a max limit of $700. so only 7 customers? what happens after 7? you get0?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:50 am

Cool that it works out. The activation/phone# transfer process was seamless to me. It took like 5 min since I already filled all the old carrier info on the computer. I would suggest you do that if you have not, otherwise you will have to fill in the stuff on the phone instead.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My assumption will be that it will return to the standard referral fee after the 7. Up to 7 $100 referrals is pretty generous.

Originally Posted by happyvoid
In my app they also offer referral bonus of $20 for the new customer and $100 for the people who refer but there is a max limit of $700. so only 7 customers? what happens after 7? you get0?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.