Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
When at home, and I leave the house, it sometimes takes minutes for my phone to find a mobile signal. That happened when I was with T-Mobile, but it sometimes seems to take an extra long time now that I'm with Google Fi. I'll also get "Emergency Service Only" (or even zero signal--but wifi works fine) at my house quite a bit since my move to Google Fi, something that never happened with T-Mobile.

If possible (on the road or at home), I will put my phone (Samsung S23 bought new in December) in and out of airplane mode, and that sometimes fixes it, but sometimes it doesn't.

As noted above, I live in a cellular black hole, but I would think at least Google Fi would be able to utilize my wifi to provide me with service.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 10:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I would think at least Google Fi would be able to utilize my wifi to provide me with service.
It ought to -- I often find it using wifi calling e.g. at home (where I get good cellular signal but the wifi speed is fast too)

Anyway I guess whatever I had this morning was a temporary blip /shrug since then it's been stable.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Simply Unlimited plans are going up next month if you have three lines or more.

They've gone from one of the price leaders to simply mixed in with all other MVNOs.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Zero problems across four phones in Portugal this week. Did have to select cellular network manually tho.
pseudoswede likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.