Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Thanks. When I go to Cellular there is no SIMs option. Only sim pin or add sim. I did turn off automatic. Seems to be working now but was absolutely maddening. And no clue which step or process achieved it. Tried the stuff on here, online elsewhere, and via chat with Fi. 😩
If I remember correctly, if you don't have a second SIM or eSIM, it would just show the name of the cellular plan, e.g. T-Mobile.

Glad to hear you got it working though. For what it's worth, I also had a lot of issues on TIM in Italy where I'd have data, then suddenly lose data despite having full signal. I chalked it up to network congestion in Rome, but who really knows.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Polytonic
If I remember correctly, if you don't have a second SIM or eSIM, it would just show the name of the cellular plan, e.g. T-Mobile.

Glad to hear you got it working though. For what it's worth, I also had a lot of issues on TIM in Italy where I'd have data, then suddenly lose data despite having full signal. I chalked it up to network congestion in Rome, but who really knows.
Its intensely frustrating. Bc you cant plan for this and you only discover the problem when you need there not to be a problem.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Its intensely frustrating. Bc you cant plan for this and you only discover the problem when you need there not to be a problem.
Yeah, the user experience could be a little better. Unfortunately I'm not sure who is responsible for addressing the underlying issues. I suspect it's most likely European telecoms. Thankfully once you learn the quirks, you can at least work around the issue.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic

What type of phone do you have? The reason why I am asking is because a Fi Certified phone uses 3 UK's roaming backend where as an phone like an iPhone would use TMobile's roaming agreements.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
What type of phone do you have? The reason why I am asking is because a Fi Certified phone uses 3 UK's roaming backend where as an phone like an iPhone would use TMobile's roaming agreements.
I have an iPhone 13 Pro running dual SIMs (Google Fi + T-Mobile). You should be able to access Fi's local roaming partners on an iPhone by turning off automatic network selection and selecting the desired network. The list may or may not overlap with the T-Mobile list depending on local roaming agreements (for example, my two data plans are often split across Bell/Rogers in Canada).
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Not sure this is still about my issue, but we have iPhones. Tried manual network selection and it didnt work.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Just an fyi - friends phone had data shut off while on extended traveling. Upon return to the US - phones data was switched back on immediately (no waiting, no calling required).
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
[...] extended traveling. [...]
Thanks for that data point. Could you quantify extended traveling? In particular, could you specify the number days at which data was shut off?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks for that data point. Could you quantify extended traveling? In particular, could you specify the number days at which data was shut off?
It's roughly 90 days from some data points on reddit and elsewhere online.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Traveling for 9 months outside US... data shut off after 90 days (so off for ~6 mos). Worked when plane landed in US
Old Jul 12, 2023, 1:45 pm

My kid who lives in Europe forgot to pause his service when he moved there. Data was suspended exactly 90 days after arrival. He got a notice 30 days before the suspension. He was back in the US for two weeks in December and used Google Fi but it was still suspended for international use. Im wondering at what point do they lift the suspension. He doesnt need it now (still living in Europe) but I am curious.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 2:17 am

Another of my kids has now joined us in Europe. Cant get his Google Fi either. Tried all the fixes but nada. His seems to be different though, so Im hoping yall may be able to help. His iphone says Google Fi, not LTE or whatever. We can select the local network but it doesnt connect. Im going to search online some more but any ideas on why its stuck on Fi and how to unstick it?
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If someone can confirm...

Originally Posted by Google Fi's website
Important: The switch from Simply Unlimited to Unlimited Plus happens immediately. All other changes to your Fi billing plan take effect at the start of your next billing cycle.

Let's say my billing cycle starts on the 1st of every month. For four lines, that means $80/mo for Simply Unlimited and $160 for Unlimited Plus.

On June 15th, I switch from Simply Unlimited to Unlimited Plus and fly to Europe. Therefore, for the month of June, my bill will be $120 (50% Simply Unlimited and 50% Unlimited Plus), correct? On July 10, I fly back from Europe and switch back to Simply Unlimited. My July bill will be $160, and then my August bill will be back to $80. Does that sound correct?
Old Aug 2, 2023, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If someone can confirm...

Let's say my billing cycle starts on the 1st of every month. For four lines, that means $80/mo for Simply Unlimited and $160 for Unlimited Plus.

On June 15th, I switch from Simply Unlimited to Unlimited Plus and fly to Europe. Therefore, for the month of June, my bill will be $120 (50% Simply Unlimited and 50% Unlimited Plus), correct? On July 10, I fly back from Europe and switch back to Simply Unlimited. My July bill will be $160, and then my August bill will be back to $80. Does that sound correct?
Yes that sounds correct. We just did the exact same thing and it went down that way.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Maun Botswana

no signal at the Maun airport but T mobile connects as usual.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.