Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by devans999
Did anyone who ordered yesterday receive any emails about the promotion after the order? Seems like on reddit some people got a confirmation of the promotion, I did not, and ordered well before the deal expired (deal expired at 7pm pst, I ordered 1pm eastern). Google's customer service and handling of promotions like this has been awful in the past, just hoping I don't have to end up fighting to get this deal.
I did not receive any special emails. I know I had the travel credit notation in my order throughout the ordering process (the amount next to each phone in the order), but I didn't get a promo email later - just the order receipt and "welcome to Fi" kind of email.

Am I going to have to fight for this in April?

I ordered at 5PM PST, but I saw T's & C's that showed the offer running until 11:59PM PST (not 7PM).

Last edited by pinniped; Nov 29, 2018 at 2:23 pm
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:24 pm

who knows... I don't recall if I had the promo credits showing on the order confirmation page, I did a screenshot of the terms and conditions, but not of the order checkout page.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks, but I'm still confused - below it says that you lose hangouts (phone number (post #694 ) and have to open a new account to get a new number -BUT- I've never had hangouts so does this mean I can add it (it looks like I have to chose a different number than my phone).
No, Hangouts is irrelevant here. A Google account may or may not have a phone number assigned to it. That number is called Google Voice number. You can think of Hangouts app simply as a VOIP client that uses your GV # to make and receive calls. Hangouts use whatever GV number is associated with the account that you are currently logged in to. When you port your existing "real" number to Project Fi, the GV number associated with that Google account will be gone because it will be replaced by the number that you've just ported.

What I'd suggest is to go to Google Voice website and log into an account that you are planning to use with Project Fi. Then see what number it displays. If you care about this number, I would suggest to indeed open a new Google account and transfer this number there.
estnet likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Actually, I'm pretty sure I've used a data only SIM in this with no issues before. I imagine it'd work in other MiFi-type devices as well unless Google changed their policies recently.
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I have a Fi data SIM in an unlocked hotspot. It works just fine.
OK - thanks. I'll try it in my old 3G MiFi when I get the account set up and if that works, I'll get a MiFi like that Netgear one.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by König
No, Hangouts is irrelevant here. A Google account may or may not have a phone number assigned to it. That number is called Google Voice number. You can think of Hangouts app simply as a VOIP client that uses your GV # to make and receive calls. Hangouts use whatever GV number is associated with the account that you are currently logged in to. When you port your existing "real" number to Project Fi, the GV number associated with that Google account will be gone because it will be replaced by the number that you've just ported.

What I'd suggest is to go to Google Voice website and log into an account that you are planning to use with Project Fi. Then see what number it displays. If you care about this number, I would suggest to indeed open a new Google account and transfer this number there.
Thanks so much - clearly I don't know anything about GV or hangouts but I'm about to learn! So if I understand when I use Fi with hangouts if I make a call using hangouts the person I am calling will see my "real" number?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by devans999
Did anyone who ordered yesterday receive any emails about the promotion after the order? Seems like on reddit some people got a confirmation of the promotion, I did not, and ordered well before the deal expired (deal expired at 7pm pst, I ordered 1pm eastern). Google's customer service and handling of promotions like this has been awful in the past, just hoping I don't have to end up fighting to get this deal.
I got no notifications as I ordered nor with the order itself (200 byo promo), but contacted support who sent me an email confirming the credit - hope that works!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Anyone have a rec for a simple LTE phone that works with Google Fi that I can basically use as a Wifi hotspot?

I know the data-only SIMs don't support tethering, so I assume that means I need the main SIM with a real phone. I'm just looking for a cheap way to use that main SIM as a hotspot.

I'd buy just an LTE MiFi if anyone knows for sure that a main Fi SIM will work in it and allow tethering.
The data-only SIMs don't "support" tethering, i.e. if it doesn't work, Google won't help you fix it.

But Google makes no effort to block tethering, so anything with stock-ish Android should work fine. I've used a Fi data SIM in a borrowed MiFi-type device with no issues, but it's been a while.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks so much - clearly I don't know anything about GV or hangouts but I'm about to learn! So if I understand when I use Fi with hangouts if I make a call using hangouts the person I am calling will see my "real" number?
Correct. As König said, Hangouts is nothing more than a VoIP client for GV and/or Fi, so it makes calls using your Fi number just like the native dialer would.

Fi uses some of Google Voice's infrastructure, which is why you can't have both Fi and GV on the same Google account. A Hangouts call from your Fi account will ring on the recipient's end exactly the same as a "real" call. The difference is that on your end the "real" call is a voice call and the Hangouts call is a VoIP call. As an aside, you can also use Hangouts to make calls on your Fi account from your computer, tablet, etc. and the recipient will still see your Fi number.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by pinniped
I did not receive any special emails. I know I had the travel credit notation in my order throughout the ordering process (the amount next to each phone in the order), but I didn't get a promo email later - just the order receipt and "welcome to Fi" kind of email.

Am I going to have to fight for this in April?

I ordered at 5PM PST, but I saw T's & C's that showed the offer running until 11:59PM PST (not 7PM).
No offer email for me either. I did screenshot the ordering page and the T&C.

But I'm not worried. Remember, this offer was in effect for the full calendar day, and there was no code that had to be entered. So simply having evidence of the date of your order (which is on the receipt email) should be sufficient to prove you qualify for the gift cards, assuming the other terms are met.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: *G
I have a really nice 'curated' GV phone number that I didn't want to give up now, signing up for Fi, or give up later, when quitting Fi and consequently resigning the ported GV-to-Fi number.

So I signed up for Fi under a new Google account. Fi's assigned number will be 'native' to the phone. My original GV number will be used through Hangouts in the phone.

The other benefit I suppose is having the 2nd Google account (though they overlap somewhat) helps keeps Google from hoovering every single digital bit of my personal life into 1 Google identity
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
The data-only SIMs don't "support" tethering, i.e. if it doesn't work, Google won't help you fix it.

But Google makes no effort to block tethering, so anything with stock-ish Android should work fine. I've used a Fi data SIM in a borrowed MiFi-type device with no issues, but it's been a while.
Interesting.

So Google says that iPhones won't tether internationally. Being so specific makes me think that really won't work. But is that just another case of it being unsupported, or really, it just won't work currently for technical reasons?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by swag
No offer email for me either. I did screenshot the ordering page and the T&C.

But I'm not worried. Remember, this offer was in effect for the full calendar day, and there was no code that had to be entered. So simply having evidence of the date of your order (which is on the receipt email) should be sufficient to prove you qualify for the gift cards, assuming the other terms are met.
I just received a reassuring email: "Next steps for your travel gift card from Google Fi"

Thanks for celebrating the new Google Fi with us! You're on your way to earning your travel gift card with your qualifying order [####]. Here's what you need to know about next steps.

After 75-90 days on Google Fi, you will receive another email with your travel reward link if you have satisfied the other terms and conditions of the promotion. You'll be able to redeem travel gift cards with Airbnb, Delta Air Lines, Hotels.com, and Southwest Airlines, and enjoy Fi where your travels may take you.

These are some of the important terms and conditions (below) you'll need to satisfy to receive your gift card.
• Activate your phone within 15 days of device shipment and remain active for 60 consecutive days following.
• You will receive your rewards link in 75-90 days, but if you cancel your Fi service prior to 120 days or pause your account for more than 7 days, you will be charged the value of the gift card.
• If you initiated a trade-in with your purchase, you will receive the gift card value less the stated trade-in value of the phone.
• There is a limit of one promotion per person.
• You can access the full terms and conditions here and refer to general FAQ about the promotion here.

Have more questions? Reach out to our support team.

Happy travels,

—the Google Fi team
EDIT: as noted in the FAQ conversation regarding "If you initiated a trade-in with your purchase, you will receive the gift card value less the stated trade-in value of the phone."

This stipulation was not listed in the original promotion terms. I would not have traded in my phone had I known this. Can I cancel my trade in? I haven't even received the trade in package yet, so I still have my phone.
I don't remember seeing this condition either, although in my case I probably still would have done the trade-in.

The lead post on the FAQ also has the puzzling language "UPDATE: The Travel on Fi with Any Device Purchase promotion is no longer available on fi.google.com or store.google.com. Even though we ran out of gift cards, don’t worry-- we have other exciting deals for you." -- what does she mean, "ran out of gift cards"? I'm assuming it's just a bizarre way of saying the promo ended and she didn't quite understand the situation.

Last edited by Zorak; Nov 30, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:46 pm

That might be something with just iphones, I've used the data-only sims in a hotspot all over europe for multiple devices simultaneously.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Zorak
I just received a reassuring email: "Next steps for your travel gift card from Google Fi"

EDIT: as noted in the FAQ conversation regarding "If you initiated a trade-in with your purchase, you will receive the gift card value less the stated trade-in value of the phone."

They've updated the FAQ, it now says:

[UPDATED ANSWER] If I trade in a device, do I qualify for the Travel on Fi promotion?
Yes. You can redeem a travel gift card in the amount you paid for the device, excluding taxes, which is the phone price. You'll get your trade-in value as a Fi credit, in addition to the travel credit.

Note: This answer has been updated from our previously posted FAQ. We heard your feedback and apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
I also got the email this afternoon. I hadn't noticed before the "one per person" restriction. It doesn't affect me, I just ordered one, but I hope those on this thread who got multiple did so under separate names/accounts.
Yoshi212 and Zorak like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:25 pm

Google Fi just sent me email on their price protection for Black Friday. I ordered the Pixel 3XL on Cyber Monday with their $200 off and $200 service credit. On 28th when they were giving away the phone with travel gift card, I tried to contact them on phone to match the promotion, but could not. So I just emailed them before Midnight and have not heard back since. I assumed that I won't get the promotion. But this morning, I got email saying that anyone bought it between 23rd and 27th will get matching service credit (instead of travel gift card). So I am guessing I will getting $800 in service credit! About 2 years of free service I guess!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.