Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:52 am

What is strange is Fi has two distinctly different users: (a) low volume users of data; and, (b) global travelers. I love Fi and even bought a Pixel 3 (as my second phone) to have coverage in remote areas and to take advantage of Three roaming in some countries. You can stick an unlimited tablet data SIM in slot 2 of a dual SIM phone in the US and come out where you need to be for $50 a month.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Who offers a $30/mo unlimited data sim?

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
What is strange is Fi has two distinctly different users: (a) low volume users of data; and, (b) global travelers. I love Fi and even bought a Pixel 3 (as my second phone) to have coverage in remote areas and to take advantage of Three roaming in some countries. You can stick an unlimited tablet data SIM in slot 2 of a dual SIM phone in the US and come out where you need to be for $50 a month.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:11 pm

https://teltik.com/

TMobile reseller. Look at the tablet plans. Tablet plans are often way cheaper than cell phone plans.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:49 pm

Just got Fi on Black Friday and used it over the new year break at Europe flawlessly. I have Fi on my Pixel 3 and T-mobile One Plus on our other phones. T-mobile One Plus is very usable but Fi is as fast as here and faster at some countries. In Paris, I was getting close to 200mbps. I also put the free Data Sim into one of the iPhone to speed up the connection. At first it was not working, but then I found the APN setting on Google search and manually put those in and mobile data started working. I used 5Gb of data in 3 weeks on 2 phones.
adambadam likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I suddenly found a new use for that iphone 6 that got a new battery. The Fi data sim makes that a great second device, especially with the mophie juice pack. Nice move by Google Fi. So yep thats what I am doing.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:18 am

Does the billing month start on the 1st of the month or 30 days after you sign up ?

And same question for the data , when does your month start ?

​​​​​ thanks for the info
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Mine started when I activated the line for a full 30 days.

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Does the billing month start on the 1st of the month or 30 days after you sign up ?

Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

I got billed 1 day after I activated (but it was a zero charge) b/c apparently my "billing cycle" date was that. Although I have now been active more than 30 days my page showing the "special $200 credit" I should get after 30 days still indicates that has not been satisfied. When I get back to the US I'll try calling since the service hasn't worked for me in SE Asia.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:18 am

Got the first bill about 1 day after activating the Pixel 3 XL. It charges for the monthly device payment, $20 Talk and Txt for the next month. That was on the 7th of Dec. On 7th of January, it charges me for the Device Payment, $20 T&T, and Data Usage... also got the -$20 referral credit from using a referral code. Still waiting for the $900 service credit.
LAXlocal likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:08 pm

What is a good International LTE tablet to use with a Google Fi data sim ,

I would prefer a used one from eBay etc so I do not have to worry about it if it gets wet or "liberated"
Android is first choice ,

Thanks for your ideas
​​​​
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I know I can call them and try to ask this, but I want to get a 2nd phone number attached to my Fi account as a work cell phone, but I can't for the life of me see where I can choose the new number. Does that happen after you order and receive the 2nd SIM card? I'm asking here because I trust you folks more than the CSRs at Google Fi
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I know I can call them and try to ask this, but I want to get a 2nd phone number attached to my Fi account as a work cell phone, but I can't for the life of me see where I can choose the new number. Does that happen after you order and receive the 2nd SIM card? I'm asking here because I trust you folks more than the CSRs at Google Fi
Yep, it should happen when you activate the second "real" SIM (i.e. not a data SIM).
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:24 am

Can you have 2 or more Google Fi data only Sims working at the same time on one account ?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:49 am

Can you have 2 or more Google Fi data only Sims working at the same time on one account ?
According to Google, you could add up to 9 Data Sim per account:

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6330195?hl=en
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:15 pm

I have several activated, and regularly use two. One did die recently, for some reason, and so I swapped it with another, and I'm back in business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.