Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:53 am

I'd be very curious to see what would happen if you temporarily swap SIMs. Would the tethering ability stay with the device or the SIM?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
I'd be very curious to see what would happen if you temporarily swap SIMs. Would the tethering ability stay with the device or the SIM?
I have swapped sims recently in an iphone 6 while in NZ. The sims were a US T mobile data only and a Fi data sim. I know the T mo data sim did allow a hotspot on the iphone 6 at the 2G capped rates, showing a LTE or H antenna connection. It also allowed a connection when I put in a data only Fi sim, but I used the phone for surfing and maps, didn't try the hotspot because I could do that without a problem on a Moto X4, that I also had with me.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Welp, after a brief stint with T-Mobile, I'm back on Google FI with my iPhone. This time officially "supported."
T-Mobile sending me threatening text messages when I dared to use the Global Plus roaming I paid $50 a month for on top of my $70 bill was the final straw.
I think T-mobile just sent those out regardless of how much data (or how fast) you use oversea. I switched my family to T-mobile in December last year. I switched myself to Fi. So we went to Europe for 2 weeks late Dec and early Jan. I used like 4.5 GB on my Fi while my wife and kid used about 1.0GB combined. In Feb, both my wife and kid got the "threatening" txt saying that you can't roam blah blah blah.... and that was roaming on the One Plus speed of 256KB/s max. My Fi never complained and I got 100+ MB/s speed in Paris.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Need
I think T-mobile just sent those out regardless of how much data (or how fast) you use oversea. I switched my family to T-mobile in December last year. I switched myself to Fi. So we went to Europe for 2 weeks late Dec and early Jan. I used like 4.5 GB on my Fi while my wife and kid used about 1.0GB combined. In Feb, both my wife and kid got the "threatening" txt saying that you can't roam blah blah blah.... and that was roaming on the One Plus speed of 256KB/s max. My Fi never complained and I got 100+ MB/s speed in Paris.
Yep. In my past use of FI I never had any issues. I just don't feel like paying twice as much w/ T-Mo's Unlimited speed plan only to have to deal with this kind of foolishness.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It seems like more and more lately, I'm having problems with my Fi data connection on my Pixel 3. This is here in my hometown, not international or even traveling domestically. I'll have 3-4 bars, and an LTE connection, but either get no data at all or extremely slow speeds.

The problem is intermittent, sometimes it works fine and other times, not. Calls & texts still work. And data works perfectly on wifi.

I've tried the suggestions I've found googling the issue, to no avail.
- reboot the phone
- toggle airplane mode on and then off
- clear the Fi app data cache

Has anyone here had similar issues? Ideas to resolve?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by swag
It seems like more and more lately, I'm having problems with my Fi data connection on my Pixel 3. This is here in my hometown, not international or even traveling domestically. I'll have 3-4 bars, and an LTE connection, but either get no data at all or extremely slow speeds.

The problem is intermittent, sometimes it works fine and other times, not. Calls & texts still work. And data works perfectly on wifi.

I've tried the suggestions I've found googling the issue, to no avail.
- reboot the phone
- toggle airplane mode on and then off
- clear the Fi app data cache

Has anyone here had similar issues? Ideas to resolve?
Sounds like whichever network you're on is having issues, either something broken or too much load. You can download Signal Spy and see whether you're on T-Mo, Sprint or USCC, and you can use it to force the phone over to a different carrier as well. Note that if you're in the 85% of the country where USCC doesn't exist, forcing USCC will usually get you a Verizon EVDO connection, which you should expect to be really slow.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Sounds like whichever network you're on is having issues, either something broken or too much load. You can download Signal Spy and see whether you're on T-Mo, Sprint or USCC, and you can use it to force the phone over to a different carrier as well. Note that if you're in the 85% of the country where USCC doesn't exist, forcing USCC will usually get you a Verizon EVDO connection, which you should expect to be really slow.
Yeah I use a paid app called FiSwitch to do the same. The Fi app doesn't do a good job of switching network. It seems to prefer Sprint network and over here Sprint is the worst carrier. Usually I have to force it to go T-mobile. At work, I don't get Sprint nor T-mobile. I have to force it to USCC, but I don't think I am on USCC.. not sure who is the actual carrier, but I get full signal 3G which is good enough for me. Well better the 0 signal LTE from Sprint or T-mobile LOL.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Yeah I use a paid app called FiSwitch to do the same. The Fi app doesn't do a good job of switching network. It seems to prefer Sprint network and over here Sprint is the worst carrier. Usually I have to force it to go T-mobile. At work, I don't get Sprint nor T-mobile. I have to force it to USCC, but I don't think I am on USCC.. not sure who is the actual carrier, but I get full signal 3G which is good enough for me. Well better the 0 signal LTE from Sprint or T-mobile LOL.
I actually like using FI on my iPhone specifically because it does NOT switch to sprint.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:28 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I am looking to buy a new fi phone but they are down to 2 or 3 phones on the website. Anyone have any insight as to what’s going on.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:36 pm

They are about to introduce a cheap version of the pixel.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
There is a 1/2 price sale on the Pixel 3's. Requires activation. April 22 only.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Damn, I thought I had a bit more time to sell my Pixel 3 xL before they started dumping them on the market as the Pixel 3A & 4 come closer to launch.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Got a Pixel 3 XL 128 gb not pink. thats all they had left by 1 pm CST. Oh well. Trade in Moto X4 only gave me $39, but I feel better about the environment. I hope the camera is as good as they say, got some serious photo opportunities coming up.

I use both Fi Switch and Signal Spy, and I have the actual dialer codes for copy/paste to force a switch in a Keep note. Had some trouble in Copenhagen a couple of years ago, and the tech suggested I keep the codes handy. It was not a problem last month anywhere in NZ or Fiji.

link to support for dialer codes if someone is unaware of them

https://support.google.com/fi/thread/213718?hl=en
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by boerne
Got a Pixel 3 XL 128 gb not pink. thats all they had left by 1 pm CST. Oh well. Trade in Moto X4 only gave me $39, but I feel better about the environment. I hope the camera is as good as they say, got some serious photo opportunities coming up.

I use both Fi Switch and Signal Spy, and I have the actual dialer codes for copy/paste to force a switch in a Keep note. Had some trouble in Copenhagen a couple of years ago, and the tech suggested I keep the codes handy. It was not a problem last month anywhere in NZ or Fiji.

link to support for dialer codes if someone is unaware of them

https://support.google.com/fi/thread/213718?hl=en
I didn't try the switch code oversea since t-mobile was working just fine. But I thought you cannot switch anyway when roaming aboard? Could you switch from T-mobile to Sprint's roaming partners? I thought you could only use T-mobile internationally?

Pixel 3 night sight pics are amazing. Most newer phones could take good day time pics, so really low light pics are the most important ones. Here is a pic I took inside Notre Dame back in January before the fire. It was really dark inside.
abraxis, ajGoes and jerrywu like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:09 am

yeah the pixel 3 night sight is witchcraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.