Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:26 pm

You were using an AT&T sim card right (I saw the AT&T icon on top)? I actually have a bunch of those... maybe I will give it a try just for fun!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Need
You were using an AT&T sim card right (I saw the AT&T icon on top)? I actually have a bunch of those... maybe I will give it a try just for fun!
It was a Three SIM card (UK) per this thread (post 50):

SIM for multi-country Europe trip and options for calling home

It does connect to AT&T in the US.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:00 pm

Tried with AT&T sim, and I get to choose LTE-3G on the AT&T physical sim. Switch back to Google Fi (esim) and no such option. Oh well.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:38 am

Can someone privately send me the Air Canada 800 number we are talking about?

I want to try a couple of things.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
My experience

Have unlocked iPhone, normally use world sim, or local sims, a pain, and not cheap, but cheaper than using my verizon sim, so this trip, I thought I would experiment with google fi. My wife’s phone, no problems, worked right from the get go, my phone, for some reason, took a few days to work, google was looking into it, but once it started working. Has been the best phone experience to date. Just dial numbers, no codes, just works. Data fine everywhere. Was in Marrakech, Casablanca, Fes, Porto, Pinhao, Lisbon, so far with zero issues. Going to continue to use when I get home, might just switch my verizon number over
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I was interested in this when it first came out, even though I am on iPhone.

But my sense is that since Google Fi came out, the prepaid data SIM offerings in a lot of countries have gotten a lot more competitive.

$10 a gigabyte is on the high side of what you pay now.

So if you're interested in using a volume of data, Google Fi is not a good value any more.

If you're just using some Google Maps, reading email, light browsing, little or no tethering, it would be fine.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by wco81
I was interested in this when it first came out, even though I am on iPhone.

But my sense is that since Google Fi came out, the prepaid data SIM offerings in a lot of countries have gotten a lot more competitive.

$10 a gigabyte is on the high side of what you pay now.

So if you're interested in using a volume of data, Google Fi is not a good value any more.

If you're just using some Google Maps, reading email, light browsing, little or no tethering, it would be fine.

I agree there may be cheaper options for data while international. Have you checked out Google Fi's new unlimited data plan?

I find the convenience of not searching for and configuring (in some cases) a local sim card, to be useful. And worth the extra money.

Pretty sweet to have a voice and data signal up and working before even leaving the plane. Plus the 'data only' add-on sims keep family happy.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bukzin
I agree there may be cheaper options for data while international. Have you checked out Google Fi's new unlimited data plan?

I find the convenience of not searching for and configuring (in some cases) a local sim card, to be useful. And worth the extra money.

Pretty sweet to have a voice and data signal up and working before even leaving the plane. Plus the 'data only' add-on sims keep family happy.
Thats not bad. I’m paying $70 a month for two lines.

How are the roaming partners though? I would prefer to use the best roaming partners in each country though.

Also is it unlimited data and LTE speed tethering on iPhones both domestically and abroad?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:28 am

I am using a 'designed for Google Fi' phone, a Pixel 2, which comes unlocked. Fi's web site does a fairly good job of spelling out which model phones get which Fi features.

Example, the iphone does not auto-switch between Sprint and T Mobile, while the Google phones do. Things like that, but I think the data costs are the same whichever phone you use.

The Google Pixel line is in the same class as iphone but Fi also sells the Moto G7 which looks very worthy for much less money. Seems its only $100 if you sign up with Google Fi

Thinking about getting one as a back up. https://fi.google.com/about/phones/moto-g7/
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Well there won't be much switching once the merger goes through.

TMob supposedly has a lot of midband spectrum which may help them produce better coverage for 5G.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
Well there won't be much switching once the merger goes through.
I can see Google partnering with Dish once the latter has more of a network. Plus there's still US Cellular (though I imagine most people will never end up in their service area).
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I can see Google partnering with Dish once the latter has more of a network. Plus there's still US Cellular (though I imagine most people will never end up in their service area).
I can force switch to US Cellular with an app (FiSwitch). I don't know who is their roaming partner in SoCal, but it got better signal at my old work place (at Huntington Beach) than both T-mobile and Sprint.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
My experience

I am using a 'designed for Google Fi' phone, a Pixel 2, which comes unlocked. Fi's web site does a fairly good job of spelling out which model phones get which Fi features.

Example, the iphone does not auto-switch between Sprint and T Mobile, while the Google phones do. Things like that, but I think the data costs are the same whichever phone you use.

The Google Pixel line is in the same class as iphone but Fi also sells the Moto G7 which looks very worthy for much less money. Seems its only $100 if you sign up with Google Fi

Thinking about getting one as a back up. https://fi.google.com/about/phones/moto-g7/
I use the Pixel 3 and Husband uses the Moto G7. They seem to have similar reception. Obviously the Pixel has more capacity and features. The auto switching is great. I'm rarely aware when there's a switch-over. $100 for the Moto is a good deal.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Got my Pixel 4 XL today. I'll post some first impressions tomorrow. I would note for those of you getting these things in the next few days, the setup routine for moving data from my old Pixel XL phone to the new XL4 failed *miserably*.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan

I Agree. How much is your time worth? Is it worth an hour of your time to run around and get a local sim, then put it in your phone and get it to sync, and fix the APN to save a few bucks? if so do that. If you want to hit the ground and go, then Fi may be a better choice. Its really all about your time and convenience. I have done both and I prefer the Fi network. Also that Pixel 3 sharing a hotel/plane/cruise wifi is huge. See upthread. Will wait on Pixel 4 until some additional reviews come in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.