Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Have you used it prior to the speed cap? Is it significantly faster? And we pay for data used, correct? Just like we would in the States?
I did use it prior to the speed cap, and yes it is quite a bit faster. I didn't take speed measurements since I'm paying for the data though, but was definitely a nice improvement over what it was before.

And all data used is charged at the same rate as domestic data, $10/GB.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dyung
I did use it prior to the speed cap, and yes it is quite a bit faster. I didn't take speed measurements since I'm paying for the data though, but was definitely a nice improvement over what it was before.

And all data used is charged at the same rate as domestic data, $10/GB.
That's good news. I wonder if it is faster than t-mobile's LTE International version (not the 2g version)?

I find the T-mobile 2g version simply too slow. I am currently in Japan using LTE and it is definitely faster. If Google Fi is always like this (or better) then it is worth switching. LTE here is showing .15 Mbps up/down.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:05 pm

Check out these threads as possible. What I am seeing is most people are very pleased with the speeds. For me, I can tell you that the speeds were great in Canada, Mexico, the UK, France, and the UAE. What seems to be the bigger problem is seamless connections when you first land. Many people report and hour or two before things seem to shake out. A minority (but real amount) of people have needed to enter codes, reboot, or manually to get things sailing.

https://productforums.google.com/for...rum/project-fi

Sticking with the sailing metaphor, the question is whether this is the "shake out cruise." My instinct is "yes."
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Check out these threads as possible. What I am seeing is most people are very pleased with the speeds. For me, I can tell you that the speeds were great in Canada, Mexico, the UK, France, and the UAE. What seems to be the bigger problem is seamless connections when you first land. Many people report and hour or two before things seem to shake out. A minority (but real amount) of people have needed to enter codes, reboot, or manually to get things sailing.

https://productforums.google.com/for...rum/project-fi

Sticking with the sailing metaphor, the question is whether this is the "shake out cruise." My instinct is "yes."
Thanks for that link. It seems clear the speeds are unbelievable (as they would be if you had a local SIM). However for some reason it appears some users have trouble in some countries accessing data. That is concerning (I've had delays with T-Mo but rarely). Users on that thread report 4-5 hour delays before data "started" if it started at all. Weirdly however some users got data in the same country without issue and others did not.

They also pointed me to this wiki about how Fi works and where: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...UZOE5lhVU/edit

I'm surprised FT hasn't made this thread a wiki so we can do the same. The FT T-Mo thread IS a wiki and is very helpful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...erage-100.html
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:59 pm

I only have a couple of data points, but when in scotland and amsterdam recently, the speeds were excellent (I'd basically say as good as they here at home, but I also don't do much in the way of streaming video etc), and while it took a bit longer than usual for data to fire up, it was up and running before we were to the gate.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Having come from T-Mobile, I can tell you that FI is not unique in having to do some fiddling before things work. In Southern India, I ALWAYS had trouble on T-Mo... all in all Fi worked Orders of magnitude better. Even on T-Mo landing in some countries required "trying" which combination of carrier and network type worked best... I think this is just the nature of these types of roaming agreements. As for the delays.. I personally only experienced one delay in Kochi India on getting data, which I'm starting to think was due to a local carrier outage... not FI.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Thanks for that link. It seems clear the speeds are unbelievable (as they would be if you had a local SIM). However for some reason it appears some users have trouble in some countries accessing data. That is concerning (I've had delays with T-Mo but rarely). Users on that thread report 4-5 hour delays before data "started" if it started at all. Weirdly however some users got data in the same country without issue and others did not.

They also pointed me to this wiki about how Fi works and where: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...UZOE5lhVU/edit

I'm surprised FT hasn't made this thread a wiki so we can do the same. The FT T-Mo thread IS a wiki and is very helpful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...erage-100.html
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My fi service has been rather good overall. Works great in the US (as expected) and in Qatar & South Africa things have been going pretty well. Initial recognition of networks and network registration takes a few moments on up to minutes but once registered it has worked well with good speeds. My friend on Tmobile that is traveling with me had slightly faster initial connection but slower service.

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Having come from T-Mobile, I can tell you that FI is not unique in having to do some fiddling before things work. In Southern India, I ALWAYS had trouble on T-Mo... all in all Fi worked Orders of magnitude better. Even on T-Mo landing in some countries required "trying" which combination of carrier and network type worked best... I think this is just the nature of these types of roaming agreements. As for the delays.. I personally only experienced one delay in Kochi India on getting data, which I'm starting to think was due to a local carrier outage... not FI.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Ran a speed test in Tokyo, Singapore and Surabaya (Indonesia) this week.

Here are the results:

Tokyo: 2.66 Mbps Down, 1.30 Mbps Up, 531 ms Ping

Singapore: 3.14 Mbps Down, .49 Mbps Up, 422 ms Ping

Surabaya: 7.44 Mbps Down, 3.52 Mbps Up, 550 ms Ping

Overall very satisfied and much better than T-Mobile.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Better but if you get prepaid Sims, especially in Tokyo and Singapore, it would be a lot better?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So, with the Nexus line dead, and the Pixel being a Verizon exclusive. Where does this leave Fi?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
So, with the Nexus line dead, and the Pixel being a Verizon exclusive. Where does this leave Fi?
You can buy a Pixel from Fi or from the Google Play Store.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Pixel isn't a Verixon exclusive. Verizon is the only carrier selling it (besides Fi, who is also selling it) but you can also buy unlocked Pixels from the Google Store.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8

Here are the results:

Originally Posted by wco81
Better but if you get prepaid Sims, especially in Tokyo and Singapore, it would be a lot better?
I can't speak for Singapore, but on a prepaid data SIM in Tokyo (using docomo's network) I was seeing pings under 100ms and 25+ mbps down pretty regularly.

The latency is always going to be high because roaming traffic routes back to the US. Nice when you want to listen to Pandora in Japan, not so nice for speed. (Incidentally this is why FreedomPop's GSM service sucks so bad in the US--it's actually a 3 UK SIM)
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8

Here are the results:

Very helpful, thank you.

Not local SIM speed - but better than T-Mo for sure and makes the web useful.
Happy to pay at these speeds.

Just pre-ordered the Pixel today on the Google Store. Darn thing is pricey especially at 128GB. But I still ordered it and am looking forward to switching to Fi upon its arrival.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
I can't speak for Singapore, but on a prepaid data SIM in Tokyo (using docomo's network) I was seeing pings under 100ms and 25+ mbps down pretty regularly.

The latency is always going to be high because roaming traffic routes back to the US. Nice when you want to listen to Pandora in Japan, not so nice for speed. (Incidentally this is why FreedomPop's GSM service sucks so bad in the US--it's actually a 3 UK SIM)
The pings are high due to traffic being routed via the US... that said, I've not had ANY issues with usability overseas. I noticed no difference in performance when I was in India last week due to latency. In fact, I was able to have a very nice high-quality Duo Call from the back of a cab driving through Kochi... where perviously on T-mo I struggled to even send a WhatsApp reliably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.