Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
It should also be noted that while the new Pixel phones share a vague similarity in appearance with the regular HTC devices, the internals are very different.

At any rate, the 5X for $199 from Fi is a good deal.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The HTC A9 is way overpriced (even when it was discounted to $299).

Best Buy is currently selling a refurbished Galaxy S7 for $370. You could still utilize your new qi battery pack.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:25 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The HTC A9 is way overpriced (even when it was discounted to $299).

Best Buy is currently selling a refurbished Galaxy S7 for $370. You could still utilize your new qi battery pack.
OK, so I'm being really dense here....you and others saying that I can use a Project Fi SIM cards in things other than a Nexus-branded phone. Does it provide full functionality, or do I have to make my calls and texts via Hangouts using wifi or data?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
OK, so I'm being really dense here....you and others saying that I can use a Project Fi SIM cards in things other than a Nexus-branded phone. Does it provide full functionality, or do I have to make my calls and texts via Hangouts using wifi or data?
You lose ability to switch between carriers, and the hand-off between cellular and Wifi calling.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by nerd
You lose ability to switch between carriers, and the hand-off between cellular and Wifi calling.
On Android phones you can use the app "Signal Spy" to view available carriers and their signal strengths and switch between them. The app maintains a history of network connections including Wi-Fi connections. The app is not available on iPhones.

I've not had much luck with the call hand-offs between cellular and Wi-Fi on my Nexus 6P and the current connection persists until I terminate the current call and make a new call.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Well, shoot. The phone I thought was a Nexus 5 turns out to be a Nexus 4. I just did a factory reset, but I doubt it can handle Nougat, let alone Marshmallow.

Having moved six months ago, it's anyone's guess where my Nexus 5 might be, but it's not in the boxes labeled Hardware or Software. I tossed a ton of older phones during the move, but would NOT have intentionally ditched the Nexus 5. This evening's not-so-fun activity may involve sorting through random spots in search of an elusive Nexus 5! Otherwise, I'm stuck with plan C or plan D, whatever those may be!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
On Android phones you can use the app "Signal Spy" to view available carriers and their signal strengths and switch between them. The app maintains a history of network connections including Wi-Fi connections. The app is not available on iPhones.
You can, but unless the Android phone is a North America-market Nexus 5X, 6 or 6P, the only network available with a Fi SIM is T-Mobile. In order to use the CDMA networks (Sprint, USCC and their roaming partners), you have to have one of the three officially-supported phones. Even the Nexus 5, which has a CDMA radio and supports the relevant LTE bands, will not carrier switch.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD

I've not had much luck with the call hand-offs between cellular and Wi-Fi on my Nexus 6P and the current connection persists until I terminate the current call and make a new call.
does anything really hand off between WIFI and cellular or vice versa?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
You can, but unless the Android phone is a North America-market Nexus 5X, 6 or 6P, the only network available with a Fi SIM is T-Mobile...
If you saying that the Project Fi SIM does not work with carriers other than T-Mobile then my experience is quite different. I was in Europe for two weeks traveling around various countries with an iPhone 5s with the primary Project Fi SIM in it and had no problems with cellular roaming service on various European service providers.

The North America Nexus 6P I have was used only for activating the SIM but once the SIM was activated I've been able to use it on my iPhones 5s.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I believe that outside the US that Project fi partners with numerous GSM providers but within the US it only GSM partner is TMobile and CDMA is Sprint & US Mobile?

If you saying that the Project Fi SIM does not work with carriers other than T-Mobile then my experience is quite different. I was in Europe for two weeks traveling around various countries with an iPhone 5s with the primary Project Fi SIM in it and had no problems with cellular roaming service on various European service providers.

The North America Nexus 6P I have was used only for activating the SIM but once the SIM was activated I've been able to use it on my iPhones 5s.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I believe that outside the US that Project fi partners with numerous GSM providers but within the US it only GSM partner is TMobile and CDMA is Sprint & US Mobile?
Exactly.

A Fi SIM in an iPhone is essentially a T-Mobile SIM, though Fi gives full-speed data abroad, which T-Mobile doesn't give to its own customers.

Of course it roams to other carriers in Europe--just like a T-Mobile branded SIM would--but the main claim to fame for Fi is that you have access to T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular (and their respective roaming partners) Stateside as well. In order to do that, you have to have the Project Fi app installed on a compatible phone (5X, 6 or 6P).

What I don't know is whether a Fi SIM in an unsupported device has access to Three and its roaming partners. I suspect the answer is no (or "not easily" since the Fi app does some APN and other sorcery in the background). The data SIM definitely does not.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Just a quick report: Last week I was in London and FI worked great. This week, I've been to Mumbai and am currently in Kochi and FI is working fantastic. LTE everywhere and decently fast download/upload speeds between 3-7mbps. This absolutely beats the pants off my previous experience on T-Mo.

PS. Even better my "free data sim" is also working great installed in my iPad Pro
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by devans999
It's really nice to hop off a long flight, and turn off airplane mode and LTE/4g just pops up on the phone in Amsterdam. Made a quick wifi call (using airport wifi) easily enough. Same thing in edinburgh. Speed is pretty good. Obviously out in the highlands of scotland, you'll be lucky to get even 3g, and on skye you'll only get rare glimpses of 3g, usually from the weirdest spots. (like going from nothing to 5 bars of 3g over the span of about 200 yards, out in a field on the coast outside portree, surrounded by tall hills with no civilization in sight.) And not just a 3g signal, but effective access, I was getting emails, surfing web pages etc. The change from 256kb to full speed data is priceless. This is truly a world phone and world plan.
Re the bold... I just saw this (via the FT T-mobile thread). Is this the case now? That is, that Google has (not just as a promo for a limited time) truly removed throttling and we get speeds locals get when traveling? If true, I'm switching asap.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Re the bold... I just saw this (via the FT T-mobile thread). Is this the case now? That is, that Google has (not just as a promo for a limited time) truly removed throttling and we get speeds locals get when traveling? If true, I'm switching asap.
I'm not sure if it is exactly the speed that locals get since the connections are still tunneled back to the US via t-mobile, but it definitely feels a lot faster.

So far I have used the high speed data in Finland, Russia, Austria, UK, Germany, Hong Kong, and China. It has been great.

And once nice side effect of the tunneling of the connections back through the US with t-mobile is that China's Great Firewall did not block my connections and I was able to access sites like google maps as if I was in the US. That is a very nice benefit.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dyung
I'm not sure if it is exactly the speed that locals get since the connections are still tunneled back to the US via t-mobile, but it definitely feels a lot faster.

So far I have used the high speed data in Finland, Russia, Austria, UK, Germany, Hong Kong, and China. It has been great.

And once nice side effect of the tunneling of the connections back through the US with t-mobile is that China's Great Firewall did not block my connections and I was able to access sites like google maps as if I was in the US. That is a very nice benefit.
Have you used it prior to the speed cap? Is it significantly faster? And we pay for data used, correct? Just like we would in the States?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.