Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by boerne
I Agree. How much is your time worth? Is it worth an hour of your time to run around and get a local sim, then put it in your phone and get it to sync, and fix the APN to save a few bucks? if so do that. If you want to hit the ground and go, then Fi may be a better choice. Its really all about your time and convenience. I have done both and I prefer the Fi network. Also that Pixel 3 sharing a hotel/plane/cruise wifi is huge. See upthread. Will wait on Pixel 4 until some additional reviews come in.
What is meant by the Pixel 3 sharing hotel wifi? Do you mean a hotspot? Will my Pixel 2 do this as well? Thx
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Arrived in JNB earlier today and it took the better part of an hour before I finally had data service. During this time I also got an ominous-looking popup saying something like "SIM not provisioned for voice service". Dunno if this is a function of where I was physically and maybe not having a good connection to the "right" tower?

But as I waiting for pushback on a connecting flight I finally got Edge followed very quickly by LTE indicator, and had immediate data service upon arrival in CPT.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I used Fi going in the other direction today (call to an international number from the US) and it worked pretty well. The extra per minute charges (much more reasonable than my primary T-Mobile plan, BTW) are also already appearing in the Fi app.

The only thing is that the ringing tone sounded like the normal US one instead of the the one I expected (double ring due to the number being an Irish one). I'm not sure if this is normal or not, however.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:10 pm

I’m a Michigander. I’m generally not in US Cellular territory, but our Upper Peninsula is US cellular territory. Also US Cellular gives you EVDO roaming on Verizon.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by bukzin
What is meant by the Pixel 3 sharing hotel wifi? Do you mean a hotspot? Will my Pixel 2 do this as well? Thx
Sorry just saw this. For sure my Pixel 3 XL will share a wifi connection, like a hotel wifi, or ship wifi. The pixel 2 will not. The Pixel 3a reportedly will, and I think I posted that somewhere in another thread with a link. Not sure about the Pixel 4. There are some very competitive prices this weekend on these phones.

Simply log on to the wifi of your hotel with your phone, then turn on the phone hotspot feature and voila. I have had 4 devices sharing this. What was interesting was that the wifi hotspot sharing on the Pixel 3 was actually faster than my wife's chromebook trying to connect directly. only one data point, tested with speedtest.net.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:18 am

I have a JailBroken iPad 4 with the PDANet app that allows that WiFi pass through. I was told it connects to the provider on the 5Ghz band and then rebroadcasts the service on the 2.4Ghz band, but I have no idea if that’s how it functions or not. It does make sense though. Nice to have on paid WiFi service though, like some cruise ships where each device is charged full price regardless of the generally poor quality of service. I use it for convenience sake rather than trying to get over on the provider. I can switch between my mini & Pro iPads and my phone without all the log off/log in hassle.

Some devices used to allow Bluetooth hotspot, so that could also be an alternative I suppose.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I used Fi going in the other direction today (call to an international number from the US) and it worked pretty well. The extra per minute charges (much more reasonable than my primary T-Mobile plan, BTW) are also already appearing in the Fi app.
You don't really need Fi to get that rate. You could just install Hangout and dial from the app and you get the same international calling rate from Google. I installed it on my wife's iPhone (T-mobile) so she could call oversea.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:41 am

Have any of you added a esim to your Google Fi account?

List of providers here... esimdb.com. Does anyone know of a esim provider that runs on Verizon?

Last edited by bukzin; Dec 4, 2019 at 9:53 am
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:57 pm

List of providers here... esimdb.com. Does anyone know of a esim provider that runs on Verizon?
Verizon postpay supports esim. I haven't heard of a Verizon esim on prepaid, MVNO, or roaming. Verizon's prepaid LTE only offering Visible doesn't offer esim.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by freecia
Verizon postpay supports esim. I haven't heard of a Verizon esim on prepaid, MVNO, or roaming. Verizon's prepaid LTE only offering Visible doesn't offer esim.
What I am wanting to do is to add an additional esim to my Android 10 phone. Hoping to find a non-contract version
to use in the US that runs off Verizon.

I’m guessing that the providers found on sites like ‘esimdb.com’ are resellers/MVNO’s. Would love to buy some data
to switch over to when Verizon is the strongest tower.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You could do that with regular SIMs. It would be a PITA to switch SIMs over manually.

Of course you'd have to carry a hefty Verizon postpaid bill.

The US carriers these days, their game seems to be to try to get customers to add multiple lines. At least that's where the promotions are. So in addition to trying to lure new subscribers over, they want to get existing subscribers to pay more for additional lines, which they may not need.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:52 am

I bought one of the eSIM 'cards' with really low data rates.

(from Airalo which runs on ATT towers, worked OK)

Swapping back and forth between eSIM's is easy
so I'm still looking for a pre paid one with fair data rates running Verizon
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:12 pm

I bought one of the eSIM 'cards' with really low data rates.

(from Airalo which runs on ATT towers, worked OK)

Swapping back and forth between eSIM's is easy
so I'm still looking for a pre paid one with fair data rates running Verizon
So you are looking for a non-US eSIM company that will roam on Verizon while using in the US. Or you are looking for a Mobile Virtual Network Operator in the US that uses Verizon network and offer prepaid eSIM. Here is a list of Verizon MVNOs, but don't know if any of them offer eSIMs:
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone.../verizon-mvnos
bukzin likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Need
So you are looking for a non-US eSIM company that will roam on Verizon while using in the US. Or you are looking for a Mobile Virtual Network Operator in the US that uses Verizon network and offer prepaid eSIM. Here is a list of Verizon MVNOs, but don't know if any of them offer eSIMs:
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone.../verizon-mvnos
I guess either one. Looking for an eSIM with affordable data rates on Verizon for use in US.

I have a Pixel 3 (unlocked of course) which is working for me now with an eSIM.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Urgent - cannot resume service without wifi!!!

I often pause my service when in a country where fi doesn't work well. Surprise - arrived at sfo and their free internet (the ONLY one available) didn't work at international terminal - not at baggage claim, not at departures, etc.
So found a kind soul who let me use his phone to call them - after 20 minutes and multiple verifications of who I am he said cannot resume my service has to be done from my phone!!! Asked him if I could do it from browser by signing in on another phone - he said yes - so I did that BUT account said I am not calling from my phone so had to send a verification text to my phone (the one that was paused and therefore wouldn't receive a text)!!!!!
No way to resume without wifi - which wasn't available anywhere (unless I bought a ticket and went to lounge inside security - not really possible with luggage, etc). Finally after an hour I someone who had a wifi hot spot and let me use it - Bingo - within 2 seconds I was saved.
SFO knows that their wifi has been not working for a long time for many phones (and also tried my laptop which got the same 502 error).
So can't call for a ride, or contact lyft or uber, etc without data - REALLY THINK FI SHOULD WARN that u CANNOT resume service unless u have wifi!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.