Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
Thanks!

Doesn't look like a big difference, although the variance among MT7620 models seems quite a bit higher (is MT7620A vs MT7620N significant?) than there is between the AR9344.

Has anyone tried a RaspPi3 or Tinkerboard as a travel router? It's a hair bigger, but for hotel room VPN use, it may be small enough.
I haven't, but I don't think the wifi on the RPi3 is terribly good. How much do you want to push through it? I've used my GL-AR300M routing through my home network and watched Netflix and HBO Now just fine with it.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
Doesn't look like a big difference, although the variance among MT7620 models seems quite a bit higher (is MT7620A vs MT7620N significant?) than there is between the AR9344.
IIRC, MT7620A just has a different feature set than MT7620N. I also see there is a model GL-MT300N-V2 router using the MT7628N SoC whose datasheet shows that it has an AES engine which should give better VPN performance for some crypto settings

Last edited by unmesh; Oct 11, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by rak007
Sorry for bumping an old thread. But I want a router with WISP functionality and i went through most of the recent posts of the thread. I had decided to get the Edimax 6258NL but that seems to be not available anywhere. Amazon does have the Edimax 6248N (older model) but not sure if I should go for that. I want to connect to a wifi which gives me splash page to enter user id and password for me to access it (xfinitywifi).

I also see Hootoo Nano tripmate also being mentioned but I am not able to find clear information whether it supports the WISP mode and can also show me splash page.

Anyone has suggestion on which small router I should get ?
The Edimax 6258NL goes in and out of stock. Since mine was dying after 3 years I put in an order despite it being out of stock and it shipped a week later. Link.

I realize there are newer options out there, but this little guy has been absolutely invaluable.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:26 pm

GL-AR750 gli.net 802.11ac travel router is up for pre-order! Shipping is estimated at the end of this month.
https://www.gl-inet.com/ar750/#
https://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic...750-pre-order/
Specs:
CPU QCA9531, 650MHz
Memory DDRII 128MB
Storage 16MB Nor Flash
Frequency 2.4GHz, 5GHz
Transmission rate 300Mbps(2.4GHz) + 433Mbps(5GHz)
Protocol 802.11 b/g/n/ac
Power input 5V/2A
Power consumption <6W
Dimension, Weigh 105*72*27mm, 66g
It also looks to have 2!! LAN + 1 WAN port. "Ethernet is 10/100 Mbps. Want Gigabit and same size router? Maybe you need to wait until next year. We do have plan for this."

I pre-ordered for $45 + $9 DHL Global shipping since inventory can come and go (GL-USB150 microrouter is OOS via Amazon fulfillment)

External antenna version, Gigabit Eth, & Amazon ordering are planned. Might be worth another purchase if/when that comes out. Hope that version will be USB-C and I'd be interested in a mini refresh if it is within $10 price bump.
AroundAndAbout likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
GL-AR750 gli.net 802.11ac travel router is up for pre-order! Shipping is estimated at the end of this month.
https://www.gl-inet.com/ar750/#
https://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic...750-pre-order/
Specs:

It also looks to have 2!! LAN + 1 WAN port. "Ethernet is 10/100 Mbps. Want Gigabit and same size router? Maybe you need to wait until next year. We do have plan for this."

I pre-ordered for $45 + $9 DHL Global shipping since inventory can come and go (GL-USB150 microrouter is OOS via Amazon fulfillment)

External antenna version, Gigabit Eth, & Amazon ordering are planned. Might be worth another purchase if/when that comes out. Hope that version will be USB-C and I'd be interested in a mini refresh if it is within $10 price bump.
This looks like it's quite a bit bigger than the GL-AR300M. Heavier, too. 105*72*27mm, 66g vs. 58*58*25mm, 39g. For travel, I'll stick with the smaller one. But this looks nice. USB-C would be great, as I just got a Galaxy S8 and already have a tablet with USB-C. I still have a Kindle and Roku Stick I travel with, though, so I can't ditch the micro-usb yet, anyway.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I'm still occasionally using the ASUS WL-330NUL, which historically has been adequate for my needs.

However, in the last couple of trips, when staying at large branded hotels I've come across something "interesting." When I attempt to use the 330NUL to connect to the hotels SSID the router simply does not see the SSID. I can try refreshing, rebooting, etc. but it simply will never show me the hotels guest SSID as one of the selections (it shows several other, secured SSIDs). However, if I just fire up my notebook, phone, or tablet all of those devices are all able to "see" the hotels guest SSID and connect/authenticate without any problem.

I did a quick Google search, but didn't find much. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Have hotel IT departments somehow figured out how to identify (and block) these type of devices?

Regards
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by cordelli
The Asus WL-330N3G lets you do most everything wireless to the device, though it costs a bit more. Others have a switch on the side to set the mode.

Smallest is all relative here, as the actual size of the asus is considerably smaller than this device, but I'm sure the marketing types have some explanation how they believe this device at 81 x 71 x 28 mm (per their website) is smaller than the Asus at 90 x 38.9 x 12.8 mm (per the Asus website). I'm sure they will attribute it to the power supply or something.
I used the ASUS last year while in Japan, it worked great.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm still occasionally using the ASUS WL-330NUL, which historically has been adequate for my needs.

However, in the last couple of trips, when staying at large branded hotels I've come across something "interesting." When I attempt to use the 330NUL to connect to the hotels SSID the router simply does not see the SSID. I can try refreshing, rebooting, etc. but it simply will never show me the hotels guest SSID as one of the selections (it shows several other, secured SSIDs). However, if I just fire up my notebook, phone, or tablet all of those devices are all able to "see" the hotels guest SSID and connect/authenticate without any problem.

I did a quick Google search, but didn't find much. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Have hotel IT departments somehow figured out how to identify (and block) these type of devices?

Regards
could be that either the ASUS isn't seeing any 802.11b/g signals anymore as they may not be shown by the AP. could be a setting on the ASUS or the AP at the location to either not see b/g or see only b/g and not N.. hard to say. could be that the signal at the AP was only a 5ghz signal and the ASUS only sees 2.4ghz signals. I doubt a local hotel or shop is blocking certain MAC addresses that this device would have.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro

Regards
I don't have the same router, but I occasionally experience the same phenomenon with my HooToo TM03 in congested environments. In most cases, changing Wi-Fi settings to use a specific channel (e.g., 1, 6, or 11) for the internal network instead of the default "Auto", fixes the problem. My understanding is that the router cannot see or connect to a Wi-Fi network on the same channel that it uses to broadcast the internal network. If the hotel happens to use the same channel as the one the router has auto-picked to broadcast on, the router won't see hotel's network.

Maybe I'm smoking something though...not a networking expert by any means.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
could be that either the ASUS isn't seeing any 802.11b/g signals anymore as they may not be shown by the AP. could be a setting on the ASUS or the AP at the location to either not see b/g or see only b/g and not N.. hard to say. could be that the signal at the AP was only a 5ghz signal and the ASUS only sees 2.4ghz signals. I doubt a local hotel or shop is blocking certain MAC addresses that this device would have.
No I suspect this is a bug. I've seen this a few times and it has nothing to do with 802.11b/g signals. For instance on my flight yesterday EWR-SFO I could not get my router to see the United WiFi network (802.11n). I had to reboot it twice and then suddenly it started seeing networks. This device overall is very finnicky. Sometimes it works great, other times it just flat out fails.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
How many devices do you guys hook up to WiFi when staying in a hotel?

Most of the places I stay in allow 5 devices, personally I see no need for schlepping yet another device as a router.

This thread was started more than 5 years ago - is there still need for routers?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by onobond

Most of the places I stay in allow 5 devices, personally I see no need for schlepping yet another device as a router.

This thread was started more than 5 years ago - is there still need for routers?
Yes, cost is no longer a consideration in many cases, though it still is in others.

However, I find having to configure yet another network and having to login (every day, or more often) on 5 devices to be sufficiently inconvenient to warrant a router. All my devices, and - more importantly - family devices connect to my router automatically.

My TM03 also serves as a media hub for all devices, so all kids iPads have access to the same set of movies.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by onobond

I only have to setup the network once, do the hotel network portal login screen once, and all the devices already have the connection info.

It gives it a consistent network for auto-discovery e.g. streaming a movie from the laptop to the Apple TV or something like that.

I just find it a lot easier, and some hotel wireless networks keep every device isolated from each other - which sucks when you want them to talk to each other, other hotels don't isolate the devices... which sucks when you don't want your things exposed to everyone else in the hotel. This just makes it easy to use them as if I was at home.
AroundAndAbout likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:05 pm

I'm still occasionally using the ASUS WL-330NUL, which historically has been adequate for my needs...
.... the router simply does not see the SSID. I can try refreshing, rebooting, etc. but it simply will never show me the hotels guest SSID as one of the selections (it shows several other, secured SSIDs). However, if I just fire up my notebook, phone, or tablet all of those devices are all able to "see" the hotels guest SSID and connect/authenticate without any problem.
Check with a Wfi analyzer which channels the unseen SSIDs are on. It is possible the channels are in the non-USA range, that is 12,13,14. It is very uncommon to have SSIDs in that range though.
My ASUS router cannot see those channels & I can't set the region to open up full channel selection. I had set my previous router in this range & found other equipment couldn't see those. It is an occasional equipment problem, in my case exacerbated by ASUS not allowing setting this on the router. I'm not sure is a problem on all ASUS routers. For more info you'll have to search 'list of WLAN channels' as I'm too new to post a URL!
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the consensus these days on the best little router? Important things to me are the ability to route all traffic through a VPN (IPSec or OpenVPN) and that I can configure the router via wireless even if it doesn't have a wireless connection. I had a Hootoo Tripmate that I installed OpenWRT on, and if I took it to a new hotel, say, I'd have to connect to it via ethernet to configure it because if it couldn't connect to its most recent wireless WAN it would refuse to broadcast its wireless LAN network as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.