FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:53 pm
legalalien

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm still occasionally using the ASUS WL-330NUL, which historically has been adequate for my needs.

However, in the last couple of trips, when staying at large branded hotels I've come across something "interesting." When I attempt to use the 330NUL to connect to the hotels SSID the router simply does not see the SSID. I can try refreshing, rebooting, etc. but it simply will never show me the hotels guest SSID as one of the selections (it shows several other, secured SSIDs). However, if I just fire up my notebook, phone, or tablet all of those devices are all able to "see" the hotels guest SSID and connect/authenticate without any problem.

I did a quick Google search, but didn't find much. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Have hotel IT departments somehow figured out how to identify (and block) these type of devices?

Regards
I don't have the same router, but I occasionally experience the same phenomenon with my HooToo TM03 in congested environments. In most cases, changing Wi-Fi settings to use a specific channel (e.g., 1, 6, or 11) for the internal network instead of the default "Auto", fixes the problem. My understanding is that the router cannot see or connect to a Wi-Fi network on the same channel that it uses to broadcast the internal network. If the hotel happens to use the same channel as the one the router has auto-picked to broadcast on, the router won't see hotel's network.

Maybe I'm smoking something though...not a networking expert by any means.