Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I used to carry tons of cr*p, but now that I do not check a bag anymore, even if gone for a long time, I just pack a few toys:

Mini Capsule Rechargeable Travel Speaker
$11 incl shipping - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Capsule...-/311262764491
This is not a top of the line device by any means, but it is great for indoor listening to streaming music. I bought this one in Singapore, but I see that they are on eBay. From China, but you might find a USA seller.

4 Port USB Wall Charger 4.2A
$16++ - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
I never leave home without this.

T-Mobile SIM card on Simple Choice plan
Free text and data roaming worldwide.

Female Jack Adapters
cheap - http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-F-M-...item3f1110f983
cheap - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-Mini-...E:L:OC:US:3160
These allow a single Micro-USB cable to charge a mini-USB device or a Nokia (used for a backup/small 2-sim phone)

Micro USB to HDMI TV AV Cable Adapter
cheap - http://www.ebay.com/itm/MHL-Micro-US...2/251728101300
This allows me to display the screen from my Smartphone onto any TV with a HDMI connection. Great for watching Slingbox or something streaming while in a hotel room. This is the version that can also power the phone while it is streaming, something that is essential, as operating the phone in this mode uses battery quickly.

I just ordered the FosPower device that cameronjpu posted about, this might replace my Monoprice charger, depending on how well the charger works.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by GarethK
Bose QC20i. I love them.
If I am only allowed one gadget for my flights this would be it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by cameronjpu
I know this is probably bad form,
In that vein, before my last trip I bought this device and I couldn't be happier with it: FosPower® FUSE World-Wide Universal AC Adapter Travel Charger with Dual [3.1A] USB Charging Ports (US UK EU AU) - Black
Saved me a ton of clutter and aggravation on my last trip.
is this the one: http://www.amazon.com/FosPower%C2%AE...Charging+Ports
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
That's the one. I just posted the description because I figure eventually the URLs change.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:01 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Only my TOP one?

My iPod. Hands down. Seems to last twice as long as my phones for long flights. I absolutely have to listen to my tunes inflight. It's a must. I listen through an old pair of Panasonic Noise Cancelling Headphones I bought about 14 years ago. They still work great. The iPOD use takes the strain off of my iPhone.

I am assuming the OP is talking about "gadgets" and not staples like a smart phone. Most of us carry Smartphones these days, so that's off the table as we all should assume that's not a "gadget" but a necessity in today's business world. Well, except that I carry 3 smartphones. An iPhone, an Android and a BlackBerry. I may look like Ari Gold from "Entourage", but I like having the backup. Each phone is on a separate network and this way I always have coverage.

PS, My iPOD via Google Voice gives me the best WiFi VOIP calls. It's spectacular, actually. Better than any VOIP apps I have on any of my phones. Must be the circuitry of the iPOD. I have a friend whom carries only an iPOD and a Hotspot device. The iPOD becomes his phone when needed via VOIP.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
If smartphones and tablets aren't gadgets, then for me it would also be my travel power adapter.

In particular it's got a built in USB port, which means I can plug one device using it, and the second device into the 110v outlet of the adapter to charge my tablet and smartphone at the same time.

I used to travel with a notebook and could leverage it's USB slots for multiple charging, but now that I travel extra light, the adapter is in my bag, even on domestic trips. (in case only 1 outlet is available in the airline club)
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:12 am

That's the one. I just posted the description because I figure eventually the URLs change.
My older adapters with usb outlets could never charge apple devices so this is great news. Just ordered one to test and will reorder more for the family. And good price point! Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
I'm hesitant to order this - the reviews show that some people received the product for free. Then there are also too many reviewers who had pretty serious issues like sparking and defective chargers after a few days.

Amazon has quite a lot of these retailers lately who have managed to trick the system by giving things away, you can tell by the sheer number of reviews in a very short period of time, all with top ratings.

Then there is the funny coincidence of how close it looks to this other product:

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder%C2%AE-U...er+usb+charger

And finally - at such a small size, I'd love to know how they push 6A out of something so small. That much power needs a much larger charger, so this might explain the "burning smell" some people encountered on their unit.

I might order one just to put through my USB power meter to see if I can really pull 3.1A out of a single port.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
These allow a single Micro-USB cable to charge a mini-USB device or a Nokia (used for a backup/small 2-sim phone)
Would you mind sharing the model number of your dual-SIM Nokia phone?

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
I'm hesitant to order this - the reviews show that some people received the product for free. Then there are also too many reviewers who had pretty serious issues like sparking and defective chargers after a few days.

Amazon has quite a lot of these retailers lately who have managed to trick the system by giving things away, you can tell by the sheer number of reviews in a very short period of time, all with top ratings.

Then there is the funny coincidence of how close it looks to this other product:

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder%C2%AE-U...er+usb+charger

And finally - at such a small size, I'd love to know how they push 6A out of something so small. That much power needs a much larger charger, so this might explain the "burning smell" some people encountered on their unit.

I might order one just to put through my USB power meter to see if I can really pull 3.1A out of a single port.
Never hurts to be hesistant, but I can tell you it worked like a charm for me Definitely come back to post your results if you do. Though as far as I'm concerned, I don't care about the amperage really, because I either charge something for only a few minutes or over night. 3A isn't going to make that much difference in the former case, and none at all overnight.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:17 pm

3A isn't going to make that much difference in the former case, and none at all overnight.
Can you elaborate on this?

I'm hesitant to order this

Please test and let us know, much appreciate the warning!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
If I am only allowed one gadget for my flights this would be it.
Not if youre travelling in F
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
My iPad, iPhone, Bose noise cancelling headphones, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40,
the accompanying chargers and my Monster Outlets To Go.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TyphoonRuby
Not if youre travelling in F
I use my QC20 in even in F; Noise reduction on, no audio in, sleep with my head in any position relative to the pillow.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Mine arrives today, I'll check it on my USB power meter and let you know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.