Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by marion10
1. My iphone- I had a nightmare that I was in an airport without my iphone and didn't know where to go.

2. Got a kindle fire for Christmas- really looking forward to traveling with it.

3. My Sennheiser PX-100 headphones- wish I had bought another set when I bought these. I have hearing aids in both ears, so earbuds are out. These fold up well, are comfortable and I think the sound is great.
+1 on the sennheisers. Bose may be better but if your desire is traveling, i dont see how these aren't perfect. They do the job and are 1/5 the packing space.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
In addition to other items mentioned upthread such as ipad or mac air 11:

1. samsung skyrocket- LTE, hotspot, camera, alarm clock, book, movie, excellent internationally bigger screen for the eyeballs, and for the golfers..Skydroid, its fantastic

2. 4 port charger http://www.amazon.com/4-USB-Port-Ac-.../dp/B0036VO7OK

3. for those 220 volt countries http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG.../dp/B000F9YN2M
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Timely column from Smarter Travel

5 things to never leave behind: earplugs, e-reader, stowable carry-on, travel scrabble, and, I kid you not, a lacrosse ball.
http://tinyurl.com/7r3rfvu
My personal fave is my Samsung Galaxy Tab--love the size, wish it had something beyond Froyo, lol.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
iPad with lots of games and travel guides is my number one must have on a long flight and international trip. iPhone is my second.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:01 am

An after thought because I don't 'carry' it but it's always with me: a solid VPN service.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:49 pm

How about your top "must have" *cheap* travel gadget? For me, I have a tie:

A SCOSCHE iPhone charger cable - it folds up to smaller than a car remote and lives on my keychain.

A Swiss tech util-key. It looks like a key, but folds open to a knife. It's never been noticed by anyone at security yet and I'd just toss it if it did. Not much of a knife, but better than trying to use fingernail clippers to open a plastic clamshell or other rudimentary task.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:06 pm

iphone

bose qc15 noise killing headphones

and my timbuk2 HAL laptop backpack to carry everything around in. i know it's not a GADGET, but you need something to put all of that stuff in...

^
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
airstash

Originally Posted by JackieC2
iPad with lots of games and travel guides is my number one must have on a long flight and international trip. iPhone is my second.
this just in from the WSJ

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-AirStas.../dp/B006473T9M
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by jweale
How about your top "must have" *cheap* travel gadget? For me, I have a tie:

A SCOSCHE iPhone charger cable - it folds up to smaller than a car remote and lives on my keychain.

A Swiss tech util-key. It looks like a key, but folds open to a knife. It's never been noticed by anyone at security yet and I'd just toss it if it did. Not much of a knife, but better than trying to use fingernail clippers to open a plastic clamshell or other rudimentary task.
Welcome to FT.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
While not the greatest item for a gift, no one has mentioned the Apple Airport Express Router:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...Tunes#overview

I carry this anywhere where there is a wired only internet connection. Without this, the ipad is useless in a foreign wired only hotel. This also allows me the freedom to use my laptop anywhere in my hotel room.
This is also useful for securing your network within your hotel.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Things I usually have in my purse:

Shure earbuds
mp3 player (not an iPod)
Wifi-only Kindle
small point-and-shoot camera
phone, in my case a three-year-old Samsung flip phone
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:23 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Tablet
Nice headphones
cell phone
Canon DSLR
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Welcome to FT

Personally I don't travel anywhere without my Sony Worldband Radio but then I like listening to the Saturday Sportsworld on the shortwave BBC World Service which covers the UK football (soccer) matches. It's a Sony ICF-SW7600GR

but it's not the lightest one they did. A real travel model that I don't think is made anymore is the ICF-SW100 which does the same job just massively smaller. I can't find a copyright free image of that though, there is a youtube video here showing how small it is and how well it works.
A SONY pocket SW radio used to go with me everywhere until it was stolen from my apartment after Katrina. I plan tog net another one.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:50 am

It's a tie...

Between a decent pair of noise canceling headphones and a really good vacuum-insulated thermos. http://askthechicgeek.blogspot.com/2...hnicality.html
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by boerne
In addition to other items mentioned upthread such as ipad or mac air 11:

1. samsung skyrocket- LTE, hotspot, camera, alarm clock, book, movie, excellent internationally bigger screen for the eyeballs, and for the golfers..Skydroid, its fantastic
Love it! I threw an ICS rom in it and my Skyrocket is my go-to gadget!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.