Reload this Page >

VOCIER - suit wrinkle-free in a carry-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VOCIER - suit wrinkle-free in a carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:15 am

Congratulations on your launch and best of luck.

I am sure that you are familiar with a product known as Skyroll, which has been around for many years. Unfortunately, the reviews of Skyroll indicate that suits come out with more wrinkles, as opposed to less. Since your product is the same concept as Skyroll, please explain why your product is different and will yield better results.

It is appreciated that you offer a money back guarantee. My closet is filled with luggage that has not lived up to its promise. However, it is not realistic for a customer to receive the product, test it on a trip, and return it within 7 days. A 30 days money back guarantee would be much more practical, especially at the relatively high retail price your bag. If you are willing to stand behind your product claims with a 30 day return policy, I (and certainly others) would be willing to give it a try.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Like many on here I do love my luggage. That looks like a lovely bag. I am skeptical of the anti-wrinkle solution and with the right approach packing it is possible to minimise it anyway. I've been keeping an eye on Gate8 after arjunrc's review but waiting for my current luggage to wear out before the wife will let me buy more!

Quick tip... send one to arjunrc if you want a real fair detailed review of the product
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:00 pm

C38 Review

I've been a lurker here for many years, but I haven't posted before. I recently picked up a Vocier C38 and thought that I'd write in my honest opinion since I don't think I've seen anyone post his or her actual experiences with using one here or anywhere else for that matter. I've only had it on two trips, so my experience is still limited, though I'm about to embark on another. So people understand where I’m coming from, I don’t travel nearly as much as most people here, but I’ve been using Briggs & Riley Baseline bags almost exclusively for the last 10-12 years and they’ve always worked flawlessly. However they’re on the heavy side and while certainly professional looking, they aren’t the most fashionable. Given the price of the Vocier C38 bag is roughly comparable to B&R bags, the price wasn't too much of a concern. Personally, I'm more interested in the performance of the bag.

The Vocier C38 is definitely a very stylish bag. I have been able to pack a decent amount into it, though that probably depends on your packing technique. Overall, my impressions are generally positive so far. The bag rolls well (though not any different than your typical roller bag) and the handle seems to be sturdy. Before I make my final decision on the bag, I definitely need some additional trips as I’ve only used the bag on 2 trips. While my impressions haven’t been finalized, I’m going to give my opinion of the aspects of the bag that I think could use improvement.

The main compartment is attached to the garment bag area through the use of four Fidlock snap connectors and 2 regular plastic buckles. I don’t think that they work as well as you’d like. The problem is that once you’ve loaded up the main compartment, the magnets don’t really seat all that well due to the weight of the compartment. The 2 regular plastic buckles for attaching the straps used to keep the main compartment at a 90 degree angle once the bag is opened and hung just aren’t the easiest to reattach if you detach them like I do in order to make it easier to pack and unpack. Shoes do fit into the main compartment as advertised, though I suspect that if your shoes are larger than a US size 11, they may not fit in there.

I’m not a huge fan of the quick access / wash bag region of the bag. This aspect is probably the one aspect that most strongly depends on your packing practices and how you want to use the bag. My problem is that if you pack anything into that area (and you need to since it’s about 1/3rd of the capacity of the bag), when you open up the bag through the main zippers, everything pretty much falls out. Also, I feel like this area is given too much room. I just don't need quick access to that much stuff. Since things just tend to fall out of there, I’ve had to add some small packing cubes to keep loose items like charging cords, power adapters, underwear (since it has nowhere else to go given the size of the main compartment), etc. under control.

The magnetic connectors on the leather handle straps are fiddly. Unlike the Fidlock connector that provides quick access to the wash bag area, which work quickly and efficiently, the ones on the straps require you to manually line them up like regular snap fasteners. I don't think that the magnetic connection there is of any benefit. In my opinion, this is definitely an area of form over function. Perhaps if these were Fidlock Snap connectors, this would work more efficiently. (Though the Fidlocks are much bigger/thicker than these are.)

I wish the handle storage compartment were slightly taller. I tried putting my passport there and a passport is slightly too tall to fit under the magnetic fastener (the same type as used for the leather handle straps). For something as important as my passport, I want it to be pretty secure and hidden from view.

Another criticism is with regards to the hanger. First, it’s an undersized hanger (only 15.25” wide), but that’s probably needed in order to make it a size to fit into the bag. Second, I feel like the trouser rung should be felted or something like that. The hanger is very slick, which means that when you try to hang up your suit using the hanger, more often than not, your trousers are going to fall off the hanger, especially if you pack with the waistband of your trousers as low into the suit compartment as possible as suggested in their packing techniques.

Now comes the thing that everyone here is probably waiting for. Does it carry a suit without wrinkling it? Well, yes… and no. On my first trip (an overnight test drive of the bag), there were no wrinkles. My second trip, things were a bit different. On my outbound trip, my suit came out of the bag looking perfect. On my return trip, my suit came out of the bag wrinkled more than I’ve ever had a suit in my entire life, which includes my previous technique of just folding up my suit and stuffing it in a duffel bag. This was after having hung up the suit for a couple of days, so it wasn’t because it was recently worn. The wrinkles did not just come out of the suit after the suit was hung up for a couple of days either, which in my experience usually works.

Considering that on 3 out of 4 legs, the suit came out perfectly, maybe the bag does work as advertised. To my knowledge, I’ve packed the bag exactly the same way every time, but clearly something must’ve been different that one time. I tried to make sure not to overstuff the bag and in fact, I was carrying less on the return than on the outbound. I’ll find out in a couple of days how it works on my next trip. In any case, I hope that this was helpful for people.

Last edited by amlai; Nov 10, 2015 at 7:09 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by VOCIER
MtlTourist, as far as we understand most airlines have a carry-on policy that allows for certain sizes OR a total of 115cm length+height+ depth. ("linear dimensions") See for example AA: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...on-baggage.jsp

Our luggage does meet those requirements! We sell around 40% of our C38 to the USA and so far did not have one single customer with problems to use it as a carry-on^^
Vocier team - you're incorrect as far as United goes. They previously permitted the concept of total linear dimensions. That is no longer their standard. See: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx They specifically removed that concept from their Contract of Carriage.

Whether anybody has been stopped with your bag *yet* is a different question. They're cracking down in many airports right now.

If I were you, I'd be careful about how you describe your carry-on requirement compliance on your website, because you use the UA logo, and it very much does not comply with UA's requirements. You might find yourself forced to provide a refund for false advertising.

Greg
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by amlai
I've been a lurker here for many years, but I haven't posted before. I recently picked up a Vocier C38 and thought that I'd write in my honest opinion since I don't think I've seen anyone post his or her actual experiences with using one here or anywhere else for that matter. I've only had it on two trips, so my experience is still limited, though I'm about to embark on another. So people understand where I’m coming from, I don’t travel nearly as much as most people here, but I’ve been using Briggs & Riley Baseline bags almost exclusively for the last 10-12 years and they’ve always worked flawlessly. However they’re on the heavy side and while certainly professional looking, they aren’t the most fashionable. Given the price of the Vocier C38 bag is roughly comparable to B&R bags, the price wasn't too much of a concern. Personally, I'm more interested in the performance of the bag.

The Vocier C38 is definitely a very stylish bag. I have been able to pack a decent amount into it, though that probably depends on your packing technique. Overall, my impressions are generally positive so far. The bag rolls well (though not any different than your typical roller bag) and the handle seems to be sturdy. Before I make my final decision on the bag, I definitely need some additional trips as I’ve only used the bag on 2 trips. While my impressions haven’t been finalized, I’m going to give my opinion of the aspects of the bag that I think could use improvement.

The main compartment is attached to the garment bag area through the use of four Fidlock snap connectors and 2 regular plastic buckles. I don’t think that they work as well as you’d like. The problem is that once you’ve loaded up the main compartment, the magnets don’t really seat all that well due to the weight of the compartment. The 2 regular plastic buckles for attaching the straps used to keep the main compartment at a 90 degree angle once the bag is opened and hung just aren’t the easiest to reattach if you detach them like I do in order to make it easier to pack and unpack. Shoes do fit into the main compartment as advertised, though I suspect that if your shoes are larger than a US size 11, they may not fit in there.

I’m not a huge fan of the quick access / wash bag region of the bag. This aspect is probably the one aspect that most strongly depends on your packing practices and how you want to use the bag. My problem is that if you pack anything into that area (and you need to since it’s about 1/3rd of the capacity of the bag), when you open up the bag through the main zippers, everything pretty much falls out. Also, I feel like this area is given too much room. I just don't need quick access to that much stuff. Since things just tend to fall out of there, I’ve had to add some small packing cubes to keep loose items like charging cords, power adapters, underwear (since it has nowhere else to go given the size of the main compartment), etc. under control.

The magnetic connectors on the leather handle straps are fiddly. Unlike the Fidlock connector that provides quick access to the wash bag area, which work quickly and efficiently, the ones on the straps require you to manually line them up like regular snap fasteners. I don't think that the magnetic connection there is of any benefit. In my opinion, this is definitely an area of form over function. Perhaps if these were Fidlock Snap connectors, this would work more efficiently. (Though the Fidlocks are much bigger/thicker than these are.)

I wish the handle storage compartment were slightly taller. I tried putting my passport there and a passport is slightly too tall to fit under the magnetic fastener (the same type as used for the leather handle straps). For something as important as my passport, I want it to be pretty secure and hidden from view.

Another criticism is with regards to the hanger. First, it’s an undersized hanger (only 15.25” wide), but that’s probably needed in order to make it a size to fit into the bag. Second, I feel like the trouser rung should be felted or something like that. The hanger is very slick, which means that when you try to hang up your suit using the hanger, more often than not, your trousers are going to fall off the hanger, especially if you pack with the waistband of your trousers as low into the suit compartment as possible as suggested in their packing techniques.

Now comes the thing that everyone here is probably waiting for. Does it carry a suit without wrinkling it? Well, yes… and no. On my first trip (an overnight test drive of the bag), there were no wrinkles. My second trip, things were a bit different. On my outbound trip, my suit came out of the bag looking perfect. On my return trip, my suit came out of the bag wrinkled more than I’ve ever had a suit in my entire life, which includes my previous technique of just folding up my suit and stuffing it in a duffel bag. This was after having hung up the suit for a couple of days, so it wasn’t because it was recently worn. The wrinkles did not just come out of the suit after the suit was hung up for a couple of days either, which in my experience usually works.

Considering that on 3 out of 4 legs, the suit came out perfectly, maybe the bag does work as advertised. To my knowledge, I’ve packed the bag exactly the same way every time, but clearly something must’ve been different that one time. I tried to make sure not to overstuff the bag and in fact, I was carrying less on the return than on the outbound. I’ll find out in a couple of days how it works on my next trip. In any case, I hope that this was helpful for people.
Amali:

I am in the exact same situation as you: an avid B&R user possibly looking for a lighter more stylish option. Please continue to post your experiences. It sounds like the your other criticisms are not "deal breakers", but the wrinkles certainly are. 3 out of 4 isn't good enough and I am curious to know whether that was an aberration. Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Gregg99,
Thanks for backing me up on this.

Vocier,
Like I stated previously, if you make the same exact carry on for the North American market, and make the exterior 22 x 14 x 9 inches, you will get the North American/US domestic market.

I'm simply not taking chances on having to check such an expensive carry on because a gate agent doesn't like the European dimensions, whether they meet total linear standards or not. With so many people like me that travel domestically here in the US on a frequent basis, I won't take the chance.

Make a comparable model with US specs? Then yes I would buy it!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:07 pm

It occurs to me that after watching the F35 videos, while they say that it's the same system, some of the biggest design issues with the C35 may have been addressed in the F35. Most notably, the side handle straps (which you're almost never going to use). They've moved the straps to the other side and used a more conventional approach to keeping the straps closed. Also, they've replaced the magnetic closure on the handle compartment with a traditional snap and it seems that the smaller size of it now allows a passport to fit in there. They've also replaced the Fidlock magnetic snaps that hold the center compartment with conventional snaps. I can't tell if they've changed the proportions of the wash bag / quick access area, but it might now be smaller.

While I'm at it, a quick update on how the suit came out on this latest leg - I'm not sure I'd quite say flawless, but I'd say definitely good enough to wear right out of the bag (and I'm a bit picky.)
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Hi Amlai,

thanks a lot for your feedback. Glad you had a good anti-wrinke experience so far (for that one strange time I can only speculate of course but it sounds to me from your description that the suit must have been quite damp when put in the bag - sometimes this happens if you travel in very wet climates such as Asia, where air humidity is sometimes extremely high and not even the best luggage can help fight it). see www.vocier.com/how-to-pack (bottom)
I think the other issues you mentioned are spot on, in fact we have already changed some details to improve those a lot. You have already mentioned most in your post regarding the F38 - let me tell you that we have also implemented those changes to the C38.
F38 and C38 are now functionally identical. We do offer customers of the first edition a great way to upgrade to the new edition, please contact [email protected]

Here is the full list of improvements the current luggages have over the very first edition: Regarding the inside compartment: it is now changeable in size so it can be adjusted for either a C14 or F12 which are different in size - in the video the smaller setting is seen so your observation is correct.
(we implement user feedback very quickly)

1 kg weight reduction by using high tech foams from Zoatfoam UK, while maintaining the same stiffness and shape. This is a huge improvement.

A new and improved inside compartment which works without the magnets and is much easier to use and less prone to errors. -> now the same as the F38 system seen in the video

The quality of the telescopic handle has been improved and it fits more accurately into the luggage now providing a more high quality feeling and handling.

The hanger system has been completely reengineered and now includes a wider frame for even larger jackets and is finished with a non-slip coating. This prevents trousers and jackets from slipping off the hanger system.

For the side handles the magnets have been exchanged for push buttons that close more tightly and are unable to open accidentally.

A stronger magnetic fastener from Fidlock GmbH in Germany is used for the handle on the top of the C38. This new fastener system can carry weights up to 60kg.

The patented pocket inside of the handle bar now provides more space and can fit a passport and mobile phone more easily. -> also see F38 video

The YKK zippers can be opened and closed even more smoothly.

The inside compartment for the wash bag is now adjustable in size thus optimizing the space of the inside compartment. Further due to feedback from our customers the laptop pocket has been removed this also means that there is more space available for other essentials such as shoes, shirts and more.

Last edited by VOCIER; Nov 14, 2015 at 8:35 am
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greg99
Vocier team - you're incorrect as far as United goes. They previously permitted the concept of total linear dimensions. That is no longer their standard. See: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx They specifically removed that concept from their Contract of Carriage.
Greg
Greg and MtlTourist - thanks for pointing it out, it is annoying they have changed their standard we will remove the logo, the large majority of airlines will however accept the dimensions we have.

We WANT to offer a US-special-Version, but changing the dimensions of the bag - because of our unique construction - involves really costly new parts and a lot of engineering work.
That said, currently we are working full force on a 4-Wheeled Version which will meet more the other usual standard 55x37x23 instead of 55x40x20

we're on it guys:-) - please be patient as we do not have rooms full of engineers but we will get there fore sure!!!

Last edited by VOCIER; Nov 14, 2015 at 8:37 am
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hontus
Congratulations on your launch and best of luck.

I am sure that you are familiar with a product known as Skyroll, which has been around for many years. Unfortunately, the reviews of Skyroll indicate that suits come out with more wrinkles, as opposed to less. Since your product is the same concept as Skyroll, please explain why your product is different and will yield better results.

It is appreciated that you offer a money back guarantee. My closet is filled with luggage that has not lived up to its promise. However, it is not realistic for a customer to receive the product, test it on a trip, and return it within 7 days. A 30 days money back guarantee would be much more practical, especially at the relatively high retail price your bag. If you are willing to stand behind your product claims with a 30 day return policy, I (and certainly others) would be willing to give it a try.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Hello Hontus,
thanks for your question. There is actually a HUGE difference of our product to the skyroll: Skyroll makes you literally roll and press the heavy suitcase over the suit. (and then even strap it down strongly to make sure it does not fall off....
VOCIER however, we have eliminated the pressure component! we do that by having kind of a double floor around all of the inside compartment - this double floor "reserves" space for the suit and thus pressure is limited or eliminated.^
Hence the reason why we say the suit is "gently curved around the interior compartment" as opposed to "rolled" - a difference in words only it might seem, but a very important detail with much better results in the real world.

You can try and order it, if you do not like it (even after the first try), get your money back, of course!!!
please also note: we have recently changed to a 100-day money back policiy, see:
https://www.vocier.com/cart/

We are a really small company but we are proud of our customer service. If there is a problem on the road, we have once arranged a new luggage to be sent directly to the hotel where the customer was so he had his replacement in no time.
If your main concern is the suit result, we have sold hundreds and not once have we received one back because of wrinkled suits. People who keep our tips on how to pack (as seen in the video or on www.vocier.com/how-to-pack) usually have very satisfying results.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Hence the reason why we say the suit is "gently curved around the interior compartment" as opposed to "rolled" - a difference in words only it might seem, but a very important detail with much better results in the real world.
long technical explanation for those who want to know it in full detail:

If you bend a suit in the air you will notice the following:
- the inside of the suit (where the radius is smaller) gets slightly crumbled
- the outside of the suit (where the radius is larger) is stretched

so, consider what happens to the suit when packed:
a) when you roll the suit and press it on the luggage, it is the crumbled inside that gets pressed - NOT what you want!
b) when the suit is attached stronger to the stretched outside and pressure is avoided on the inside, you get great results
a= some competitors
b= VOCIER
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SIN1K
Very intriguing suitcase. My biggest concern is that the company is based in Austria...so there is no way to see the product up close...and some people may feel uncomfortable buying from another country.

I would suggest offering flyertalk members a discount so we could some of us to use the product and supply first hand feedback on flyertalk. Thoughts?
I would love to but we are almost completely sold out constantly and are fearful of what is to come during christmas buying spree and don't know how we should cope with it... Maybe in January when things calm down a bit.

What I can tell you: We are an Austrian company, but we have recently opened a warehouse in LA, because of strong US demand. So we can ship fast and you do not have to put up with import duties and hassle. It's like buying from an American company, only our English may not be as good
also returns are easy and you get a full refund of course.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:46 pm

We do offer customers of the first edition a great way to upgrade to the new edition, please contact [email protected]
[snip]
The YKK zippers can be opened and closed even more smoothly.
I must say that your responsiveness to feedback is impressive and implementing these changes so quickly is equally impressive.

I didn't note the zippers before as I thought I was being a bit too picky. I know it isn't easy to have a zipper easily and smoothly go around bends and curves.

I'm glad that there is a way to upgrade to the newer edition as it seems that these updates are all substantially better.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:49 pm

please also note: we have recently changed to a 100-day money back policiy, see:
https://www.vocier.com/cart/

Thank you for being so responsive to questions and customer feedback. You guys are off to a great start.

Please note that at one place on your site, it says 7 day returns, at another spot it says 30 days, and at yet another spot it says 100 days. Please change the site so that is is consistent. Based on the new 100 day return policy, I am ready to buy.

A few final questions:

1. I frequently travel with 2 suits. I noticed that you recommend putting one suit inside the other. Will that lead to more wrinkles? Is adding a second hanger a possibility? Please be up front. If the system is truly designed for 1 suit and the results are expected to be worse with 2, I would rather know up front (and will still purchase).

2. I live in LA and I assume will be getting goods from the LA warehouse. If I order this week, how will I know that C38 I receive has the new design enhancements?

BTW - I am the CEO of a public company and need to look "unwrinkled" and together when I travel to meet with potential investors. In fact, I usually travel with a hand steamer. I am looking forward to your product and would be happy to give you an endorsement if the product works as promised.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Hi Hontus,

to answer your questions:

1) we actually have some customers who said they carried 3 suits without problems but we really do recommend 1 only. The reason is:
- with 2 or more suits, you create a lot of volume, thus increasing the pressure on all suits. If you carry more than one suit, it is highly advised to pull the pants down to the lower end as shown in the video. This is also the recommended way of carrying just one suit as well.
To put the suits sleeve in sleeve on the same hanger is the best way to avoid volume and the result should be ok.
- one other main problem with several suits at once is that you have to be really careful when putting them on the hanger or else you run the risk that one suit may crumble the other already while putting it in. so one needs to take extra care with two or more suits.
-another hot tip: in case you carry shoes in the inside compartment, make sure they are wrapped in a shoe bag to avoid color loss and to cover their sharp edges which might otherwise press into the suit when the luggage is packed too tightly.
bottom line: one suit is fine, two suits MAY be fine if you are careful and the fabric is not super-difficult. We recommend one only.

2) all "old" C38 are sold out so you will for sure receive the new one

BUT

as a successful CEO you should really have the F38, has nicer zippers and the handles on the other side which is a small detail but better imo. Until the end of November we have a 10% preorder coupon "preorder10" that gives you 10% off on the whole leather collection, delivery is in december
(of course the C38 is great too!!)

many thanks for noting the return differences, we have fixed that, thanks again^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.