Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Knee Defender Gadget

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by HMO
And you are going to perform all of these nice things just because the front pax decided to recline?
it was certainly an impressive first post
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:54 pm

People who use/would use this are pieces of .....
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by bookeew
There is a perfect legitimate reason to use the knee defender: protect your own stuff.

I'm regularly using a notebook on my flights for work. Depending on the seats and your notebook, if the person in front of you declines too rapidly (which a lot of people do), it will destroy your notebook's screen. No thank you. I had this happen once on the way to a client engagement.

If all travelers would be civilized, I wouldn't have to use them, but they are not. People claim they have all rights but no obligations. What other choice to I have? Neither the airline nor the passenger would have paid for the new notebook although they destroyed it and going to court is not a viable option either.

Before the class arguments comes up again: this also happens in UA Y+.
Not always, a seat in C and up is available when I need to travel so this is not always an option.

Thus, each time I'm working, I mount the knee defender and tell the person in front of me that I am doing it. This way, they are aware and can tell me if they want to recline so that I can remove the device.

Lastly, if you are a douche, I will be a douche. I will kick the seat in front of me like a small child, I will blow up the AC fan on you, I will keep my light turned on, I will press the buttons on the entertainment system a lot, I will get up a lot and use your seat as support. Don't be an ..., stay civilized, we all have the same pain in Y, no point in not being nice to each other.
Ask me to recline slowly and I will as I usually do anyway. Use a Knee Defender and I'll be having a conversation with the FA. Because they are prohibited devices on most airlines I strongly suspect you won't have it much longer.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
So it's okay for you to recline when you "have" to but if the person in front of you does it you disrupt them and then harp about "common courtesy."
When I say have to I mean have to, either discomfort or other passenger, but I usually turn around first as I am on the aisle 99% of the time and make sure no laptop is there. Then I put it back up when the need passes. I do the best I can and consider myself courteous. That's what mom taught me.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cargojon
My point is two-fold - thete are rude people on planes, and also in an effort to cram more butts in the airplane, airlines hsve made economy less and less comfortable over the years.

Its a two edged sword.
It's a two-edged sword but you're looking at the wrong edges.

There are more classes and more prices available for flights than ever before. Those who don't need extra legroom and take advantage of a slight amount of recline they're paying for are called "coach" passengers. Those who require more legroom so that recline isn't an issue need to pay for "premium economy".

In the end, it's all about the passenger whose knees are uncomfortable. For that person, pay more money, solves your problem. He shouldn't look to others to bail him out for being cheap. This isn't a social issue. It's a selfish issue. Coach passenger too big for his seat wants others to excuse him from paying more for a seat he fits in. Not happening.

BJ
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by bookeew

Lastly, if you are a douche, I will be a douche. I will kick the seat in front of me like a small child, I will blow up the AC fan on you, I will keep my light turned on, I will press the buttons on the entertainment system a lot, I will get up a lot and use your seat as support. Don't be an ..., stay civilized, we all have the same pain in Y, no point in not being nice to each other.
What you don't see is that you are the douche.

You paid for a seat in a certain class that doesn't suit your needs. You know that the person in front of you has a right to recline, will recline, and doesn't need to seek your permission. The person in front of you means no harm. It is you who decided not to spend the money to buy the size of seat and seating location that suited your needs. Blame yourself, not the person in front of you.

Small child? Yes, that seems about right.

BJ
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
When I say have to I mean have to, either discomfort or other passenger, but I usually turn around first as I am on the aisle 99% of the time and make sure no laptop is there. Then I put it back up when the need passes. I do the best I can and consider myself courteous. That's what mom taught me.
It's nice that you do that, but it isn't necessary.

Your seat back belongs to you, not the person behind you. Flight hits altitude, seat belt sign goes off, hit the button, recline. I've been flying for 40 years, never gave it a second thought, neither do I when the person in front of me reclines. It's their seat. It goes back. I know better than to put a notebook screen in the indent that the tray makes. If my notebook gets damaged, that's my fault, not the person who wanted to recline.

BJ
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Seems we have found the authority on this topic...
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
For those complaining about the airlines moving seats closer and closer together: Why are you complaining? They did this because we asked them to. Passengers voted with their wallets that they wanted less room. Every time an airline added a row of seats and reduced the pitch and also reduced the price of the ticket, we flocked to the airline to get those cheaper seats.

The airlines are doing what their passengers voted with their wallets for them to do.

If you disagree with the vote, vote differently with your wallet. Buy a premium seat.

And for those who say "if the guy in front of me uses his seat the way it is designed to be used I'm going to act like a 3 year old and throw a tantrum", do us all a favor and take the bus.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
For those complaining about the airlines moving seats closer and closer together: Why are you complaining? They did this because we asked them to. Passengers voted with their wallets that they wanted less room. Every time an airline added a row of seats and reduced the pitch and also reduced the price of the ticket, we flocked to the airline to get those cheaper seats.

The airlines are doing what their passengers voted with their wallets for them to do.

If you disagree with the vote, vote differently with your wallet. Buy a premium seat.

And for those who say "if the guy in front of me uses his seat the way it is designed to be used I'm going to act like a 3 year old and throw a tantrum", do us all a favor and take the bus.
*applauds*

I don't understand all the complaints when you can always just buy a better ticket.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
*applauds*

I don't understand all the complaints when you can always just buy a better ticket.
Because cheap people always want what they can't afford and think they're entitled to it anyway.

BJ
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Totally agreed I wrote in #82 already: I do. Once again: for me, the routes this matters are so long that by the nature of the beast there are many, many options not just in classes but airlines too. Icelandair, Air Transat, Jetstar will all provide you a somewhat cheaper, somewhat crappier business class.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
People are entitled to recline yes. The seats move for a reason. Same with the disturbing reading light, opening a window on a daylight red eye, etc. but should you do it? I think it really depends.

If your flight is less than 2-3 hrs, then the unwritten rule amongst us professional travelers is that it's a no no. We don't do it, therefore we don't do it to each other. We understand the chain reaction it would cause. Similarly to the folks who put their briefcases and backpacks up top. Can you do it? Sure you can, but should you? No you shouldn't.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are other ways of protecting your stuff you know, by not using your laptop on an aircraft, by using it on your lap, by using a tablet instead etc.
Both of these work quite well-- I normally travel with a 15" laptop and have no trouble using it on my lap, even in E-. In E+ you can use it on the tray if you have even minimal awareness of how far the seat can move back. I also have a couple tablets, and have been gradually sorting out how to do useful work with them rather than just use them as e-readers.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HMO
And you are going to perform all of these nice things just because the front pax decided to recline?
Of course not, it's no only about reclining, it's about how you decide to recline. If you turn around and check that it's okay, please go ahead and recline. I'm not going to be offended. If you are not paying attention to your surroundings and instead hit it with full force, I will not pay attention to my surroundings either. Respect goes both ways.

There are other ways of protecting your stuff you know, by not using your laptop on an aircraft, by using it on your lap, by using a tablet instead etc. You have absolutely no right to assault the person in front of you because they were using a function of the seat provided, regardless of how they reclined. [...] There are plenty of choices here mate, you seem to be choosing the one that's causing problems. If you're using a laptop, I have no problem with the bloke behind me telling me that he's doing so and do recline gently and slowly. I very much doubt anyone sitting in front of you will have issues with that either. Being an unnecessary dick on an aircraft may mean that you'll be one of those folks who gets an airplane diverted.

ADDIT: If you can't fly C then fly J. There are always choices.
If you travel for business, not using a laptop is often not an option and using it on my lap doesn't really work on the small spaces the airline provides (C/J is not always available last minute on the routes I fly; I generally fly C/J but not always I can). Tablets don't work as an alternative in my line of work either.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not assaulting anyone, I'm just using what the airline gave me and what is -as you see it- my right to use. I'm doing the same as you are, with the same level of respect to my fellow travellers. Don't be a douche and check your surroundings when traveling and I will be a pleasant traveller alongside you.

Keep in mind that the problem are not people who travel frequently, they are not the ones causing problems by not paying attention (most of them do). People who travel much less are. They are unaware of the issues that come with the different "rights" the airline gives you and just recline. I told people that I was using a notebook and it'd be great if they could be careful or give me a heads up, not only 10 minutes later they crashed their seat into full recline and nearly destroyed my stuff. This happened to me once too many times. Now it's C/J or the Knee Defender.

I had passengers and the FA tell me to remove the device multiple times (since the passenger didn't bother to talk to me), I have no problem with that. You most certainly should be able to recline, all I'm asking for is that you are aware of your surroundings. I am also still using the very same Knee Defender I have used the very first time.

- bookeew

Last edited by bookeew; Oct 19, 2014 at 5:20 pm Reason: Whoops, grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.