Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Knee Defender Gadget

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YKF
"WestJet specifically names the Knee Defender on its list of unapproved carryon items"

I'm not sure how they can ban a piece of molded plastic from a carryon bag. The usage yes, but the article says west jet has how added it to unapproved carryon items. Add it to the nitro pills
And then you ignore the quote from the WestJet website immediately following the poorly worded snippet you pasted:

You are not permitted to attach any unapproved device to any part of your seat or any other part of the aircraft," the WestJet website says. "Some examples of unapproved devices include knee defenders, seat belt extensions and booster seats."
It's not about bringing it on board, it's about actually using it. Put more trust in the airline website, not the hastily-written news article.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The video shows how easy these things are to install. Therefore it will be just as easy to take them off and turn them over to a flight attendant. I would have little hesitation doing so.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These things raise tempers in confined cabins and accordingly increase the risk of injury to crew and to others. They should be banned from the passenger cabin. Period. Stowed in a carry-on they serve no purpose, so why carry it? Installed, they inappropriately muck with equiptment and annoy other passengers.

There is no reason to over-lawyer this.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:43 pm
YKF

Some people might not know about them or have the guts to turn around and ask if I am using them so I may try to get away with it. If I recline I will have even more room
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YKF
Some people might not know about them or have the guts to turn around and ask if I am using them so I may try to get away with it. If I recline I will have even more room
So you would recline your own seat but not permit the person in front of you to recline his?

I wouldn't ask. I'd look for myself. If discovered I'd remove them from my seat. Then I would recline.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
So you would recline your own seat but not permit the person in front of you to recline his?

I wouldn't ask. I'd look for myself. If discovered I'd remove them from my seat. Then I would recline.
+1

And then I'd order 10 cans of tomato juice and fart for the next 3 hours.

BJ
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: QF
+1

I'd probably walk up to the galley, hand them to the FA with the owner's seat number so they can be returned after the flight.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
+1

I'd probably walk up to the galley, hand them to the FA with the owner's seat number so they can be returned after the flight.
Good idea. Then the goof who puts these devices on the seat in front of him and then reclines his own seat can explain why he is using devices specifically prohibited by the airline.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:51 am
HMO

I don't know if it is so easy to remove. In the advertisement picture it shows a key, it may have some internal metal locks, avoiding "unauthorized" removal.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMO
I don't know if it is so easy to remove. In the advertisement picture it shows a key, it may have some internal metal locks, avoiding "unauthorized" removal.
The key in the picture would appear to be included for scale. The small print on the ad says "as small as a house key."
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:49 am
HMO

The key in the picture would appear to be included for scale. The small print on the ad says "as small as a house key."
You are right, my mistake. It's just a sliding piece of plastic - easier to remove, at least.

BTW, I found this Youtube video about its usage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4pQVrjDkAY
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Discussing the Knee Defender on BBC Radio 2 within the next 2 hours if anyone's interested on the current affairs show.

Available to listen online live for those outside the UK.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Is it just me who finds reclined seats uncomfortable and never reclines? Also, I am not sure about your body geometry but I fail to see how my knees would get more space if I recline my seat back. My posterior and my legs stay in place if I recline.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by boltjames
+1

And then I'd order 10 cans of tomato juice and fart for the next 3 hours.

BJ
Try garbonza beans...they're quicker!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:44 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by chx1975
Is it just me who finds reclined seats uncomfortable and never reclines?
Maybe. I find a little more comfortable when I recline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.