Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Knee Defender Gadget

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Knee Defender Gadget

I'm surprised to see this Gadget even used when all the major airlines prohibit use of the device.

http://www.businessinsider.com/unite...recline-2014-8

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...at-device.html
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:30 am

I'm surprised it took so long for it to cause a row, it's a very polarizing device, as is the debate about recline each time it pops up in Flyertalk.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The guy sells it because enough people are willing to pay the money for it. Whether the airlines let people use it is a buyer beware situation.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:15 pm

If I'm the victim of a seat in which the person behind me is using the gadget, if I kick my seat hard enough will it break the clips and send the plastic shrapnel into the guys face?

BJ
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:39 pm
YKF

Found a quick video of how to install it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4pQVrjDkAY
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
How is this possibily legal? And why wouldn't any airline throw the dumbass carrying one of these out immediately?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by msp3
How is this possibily legal? And why wouldn't any airline throw the dumbass carrying one of these out immediately?
Some internet hotshot attorneys will tell you that they are "completely illegal."

For a non-lawyer like me, it seems that there are no laws or regulations against this device. However the device is prohibited by most airline policies and if you are told to stop using it by an airline employee such as a FA and you don't, you have broken a real law.

I would not call that illegal but the insisting on using the device against an airline authority is "completely illegal."
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by boltjames
If I'm the victim of a seat in which the person behind me is using the gadget, if I kick my seat hard enough will it break the clips and send the plastic shrapnel into the guys face?

BJ
One can only hope so.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:06 am
YKF

I may buy a pack of these for knee defense
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
In the news...

If perhaps you'd like more privacy in your Y seat...

The 'B-Tourist' was designed by graduates of the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design in Israel, a program that clearly encourages anti-social behavior. We admit that the added privacy could be nice for sleeping, reading, or eating, but the entire accessory has some major flaws. First, you have to loop it around the seat in front of you which is sure to p*ss off the person sitting there. Secondly, do you have to unhook the entire thing if someone gets up to go the bathroom? And finally, if the seat behind you has a TV on it, it would be blocked by your stupid tent.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/ridicul...151932617.html

http://www.designboom.com/design/ida...ip-05-12-2014/
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:11 pm
Suspended

BJ

-------

One can only hope so.
+1
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
And the NYT, never one to shy away from the monetization of human interaction, proposes this:

Don’t Want Me to Recline My Airline Seat? You Can Pay Me

I fly a lot. When I fly, I recline. I don’t feel guilty about it. And I’m going to keep doing it, unless you pay me to stop...

I own the right to recline, and if my reclining bothers you, you can pay me to stop.
I don't necessarily disagree with him; I've just decided that the only way out for taller people now is to pay up for business/first class, since seat pitch has become so vicious.

But this guy takes off on a jeremiad against all tall people...

Taller men on the dating website OkCupid receive more messages from women and have more sex partners than their short counterparts.

Instead of counting their blessings, or buying extra-legroom seats with some of their extra income, the tall have the gall to demand that the rules of flying be reconfigured to their advantage, just as everything else in life already has been.
My short list of everyday items configured for short people includes:

treadmills
chairs, office furniture
lawn mowers, wheel barrows, weed trimmers, etc
cars, buses
airplane seats
pool tables
exercise equipment
kitchen counters
bathroom vanities
shopping carts

Use these things if you're over average height
and you'll have back trouble before you're old.

even adjustable steering wheels which are no longer within reach when seat is adjusted for longer legs....because short people could end up too close to wheel for airbag safety

Last edited by China Clipper; Aug 27, 2014 at 6:20 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YKF
Don't be surprised if you're required to remove them.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/knee-de...ines-1.1977816
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/27/travel...travel-gadget/

Prohibited on UA, AA, US, DL, WN, AC, WS, QF, VA, and probably others.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YKF
Buy F instead.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:30 pm
YKF

"WestJet specifically names the Knee Defender on its list of unapproved carryon items"

I'm not sure how they can ban a piece of molded plastic from a carryon bag. The usage yes, but the article says west jet has how added it to unapproved carryon items. Add it to the nitro pills

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.