Wiki Posts
Search

Knee Defender Gadget

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by celle
Originally Posted by Megn
Maybe you fly on better airlines that provide more space on international flights?

I flew on a Gulf Air flight once where I didn't have enough space to read a newspaper or put down my tray table when the person in front of me reclined. The flight attendant made him put his seat up at meal time so that I could eat, but he reclined again as soon as the trays were collected. He was close enough that I could have given him a scalp massage without leaning forward...
On all the airlines I fly - NZ, SQ, EK, QF, TG - it is standard practice for the flight attendants to ask passengers to put their seat up during meal service, so that the passenger behind can eat his/her meal. Nothing new there!
I recall that in QF when sitting in Y. Once the trays in the row behind me were collected, I'd recline my seat again until the next meal service.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sant
I recall that in QF when sitting in Y. Once the trays in the row behind me were collected, I'd recline my seat again until the next meal service.
I sit in the 'up' position to eat because it's more comfortable for me. I recline my seat the entire rest of the flight because it's more comfortable for me.

If a passenger behind me is uncomfortable, they can ask themselves why they didn't pay more for a seat that suited their needs. Not like a flight doesn't have more than two classes. I'm not giving up an inch of my recline. I paid for it. I've never even considered the impact of my reclining on other passengers, it's not my concern.

BJ
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:37 am
YKF

Originally Posted by boltjames
I sit in the 'up' position to eat because it's more comfortable for me. I recline my seat the entire rest of the flight because it's more comfortable for me.

If a passenger behind me is uncomfortable, they can ask themselves why they didn't pay more for a seat that suited their needs. Not like a flight doesn't have more than two classes. I'm not giving up an inch of my recline. I paid for it. I've never even considered the impact of my reclining on other passengers, it's not my concern.

BJ
Such a selfish point of view
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:45 am

My chances of getting an UG are pretty nil, so I hope that everyone reclines after dinner...wishful thinking.

My flight is full and I will just deal with it. I can't control what others do.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold

BJ
Remember, the seat in front of you also reclines. You did not pay for recline, you paid for a flight that touts recline. If the seat is broken you may get a voucher for another flight with a broken recline. Ya just never know. Sort of like a 'Mexican Standoff' between you, the person in front of you and the person behind you.

I usually disrupt 'entitled' passengers by bumping the seat as a I get up, playing with the seat pocket, adjust the light in their eye. It's a long flight and common courtesy is something that I would hope existed in a metal tube. Me I usually sit still and don't recline until I have to.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:32 pm
Suspended

BJ
What goes around; comes around.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
I usually disrupt 'entitled' passengers by bumping the seat as a I get up, playing with the seat pocket, adjust the light in their eye. It's a long flight and common courtesy is something that I would hope existed in a metal tube. Me I usually sit still and don't recline until I have to.
So it's okay for you to recline when you "have" to but if the person in front of you does it you disrupt them and then harp about "common courtesy."
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by YKF
Such a selfish point of view
'Selifsh' is putting a carry on bag in sideways, keeping the reading light on, hogging the whole center armrest, blasting the air nozzle, cranking up the volume listening to music, having the only open window on a daylight redeye, and unmuting an iPad while playing video games. That's 'selfish'.

Reclining the seat in coach amongst other passengers who are fully aware of the strong likelihood of sitting behind a reclined seat isn't 'selfish'. It's proper.

BJ
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Remember, the seat in front of you also reclines. You did not pay for recline, you paid for a flight that touts recline. If the seat is broken you may get a voucher for another flight with a broken recline. Ya just never know. Sort of like a 'Mexican Standoff' between you, the person in front of you and the person behind you.

Next time you gas up your car, ask the attendant to fill it 75% of the way and charge you for a full tank.

Next time you go to a movie, pay full price for the ticket and leave 10 minutes before the ending.

You have such high morals, let's see you do it right.

Getting what one pays for isn't rude; it's proper. And we're talking about an aircraft that for, what, $30 can provide large people the very space they require? Or for a reasonable price can create a virtual uninfringed sanctuary of privacy?

Your argument is this: People who don't pay for what they require deserve the right to insist that others short-change themselves to compensate. Doesn't work that way. A few bucks buys these people out of the problem. If they don't want to pony up the dollars, fine, but don't expect others to sacrifice for your frugality.

BJ
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:56 pm
Suspended

'Selifsh' is putting a carry on bag in sideways, keeping the reading light on, hogging the whole center armrest, blasting the air nozzle,cranking up the volume listening to music, having the only open window on a daylight redeye, and unmuting an iPad while playing video games. That's 'selfish'.

Reclining the seat in coach amongst other passengers who are fully aware of the strong likelihood of sitting behind a reclined seat isn't 'selfish'. It's proper.

BJ
Doesn't the overhead allow one to put a bag in sideways? Doesn't "my" reading light turn on when you want to sleep? Does the armrest have a "me only" line? Is there a lockout on a manual window shade that does not allow it to go up when you want to sleep? Does the air nozzle above an adjacent passenger swivel around to blow on you? Don't many IFE screens have insensitive touch functions? If I feel airsick but I've sprained my ankle and it would hurt to get up and go the the lavatory and there's no barf bag, are you OK with me vomiting on you because it was more convenient for me (again, my ankle hurt...it would have been inconvenient for me to walk to the lav). I could go on. Since there are no laws against these activities, by the arguments of many who proclaim the "right" to recline, isn't it other passengers' right to do these things?

Seems to me that anyone should be able to do anything they want as long as they don't get caught and punished (not your words...the words of an unscrupulous but selfish poster in another thread).

I'm being sarcastic here. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of those who might believe they have a "right" to recline but another passenger does not have the "right" to play a game on their insensitive touchpad if you're trying to sleep or a patient with impaired hearing can't listen to their music. Recliners, are you really ready for a "anything goes" world or does anything go only when you agree with it?

Last edited by Flubber2012; Sep 11, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:26 pm
HMO

It's a little different to play with a defective IFE touch screen and to kick and to play with seat pocket just to annoy the front passenger.

IMO, you need yo consider the intention. One doesn't recline in order to "invade" other space, but to have more comfort. If other is playing IFE just for his amazement, it's also his right - he also had paid for the IFE, like the one had paid for his reclining seat. (Of course it can lead to an disagreement too, but it's other story). But if it is only to annoy the reclining one, than it's childish.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:03 pm

One might argue that the airlines should give all passengers enough room to recline without placing the seat in the lap of the person behind it.

On my flight where I couldn't read a newspaper with the person in front of me reclined, so could I not stand up and edge out from under his seat without holding on to his seat for balance. I will admit that it gave me a bit of satisfaction that every time I moved, so did his seat, and not because I was trying to annoy him.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Megn
One might argue that the airlines should give all passengers enough room to recline without placing the seat in the lap of the person behind it.

On my flight where I couldn't read a newspaper with the person in front of me reclined, so could I not stand up and edge out from under his seat without holding on to his seat for balance. I will admit that it gave me a bit of satisfaction that every time I moved, so did his seat, and not because I was trying to annoy him.
If you recline as he did you wouldn't have an issue.

The issue is that you choose to be upright and thus the recliner is invading the space you've chosen to short yourself.

BJ
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:41 pm
YKF

If you recline as he did you wouldn't have an issue.

The issue is that you choose to be upright and thus the recliner is invading the space you've chosen to short yourself.

BJ
It's dog eat dog out on these seats
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by YKF
It's dog eat dog out on these seats
Coach seats are meant to be reclined. They are in the upright position for takeoff and landing. They are extremely uncomfortable fully upright.

Those who choose to sit upright for the duration of the flight and cheat themselves out of the intended extra degrees of recline can do so but not at the expense of other passengers who want to sit in the seats as they were designed to be sat in.

BJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.