Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Knee Defender Gadget

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Gsxsilver, I am reminded of a well-known package tourist destination where flights were offered that departed mid-afternoon or late as in very late (midnight to 3am).

Given that people were out of their hotel at noon, you would think the mid-afternoon flights would be the most wanted. Not so however simply because there was a 10GBP(package tourists from the UK) difference in price. The day time flights were flying half empty because people would not pay that extra 10 pounds per person.

After a few years, the day time flights were stopped and all flights were late evening/early am. You can guess what the people then all complained about. So yeah, they would buy standing room only and then complain about it. Hilarious.

What made me laugh with the package tourists was that they had to spend all day dragging their luggage around, sitting in bars/restaurants spending money while waiting for this 2am flight, all to save 10 GBP each on the flight cost. Made no sense whatsoever. But then if common sense were indeed 'common' as in everyone had it, the term 'common sense' would have no reason to exist. ;-)
Well said^^
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Nobody said anything about the assault from the lady throwing the coffee?

Just because the seat reclines, does the person have the right to put their seat in the other person's face?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Just because the seat reclines, does the person have the right to put their seat in the other person's face?
Yes. People have the right to recline their seat. Why is this such a difficult concept to understand ?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
...To me it's simple. If someone is given a seat that can recline then you should expect they may recline it. If they do so and it inconveniences you, then you have bought the wrong product for your needs. Don't buy a seat with limited space and a seat in front of you that can recline into that space. You cannot tell others what to do but you CAN take responsibility for YOUR own decisions.
^ Well said.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
^ Well said.
Many thumbs up to that!

I reported someone using the device on my flight today from MSP to DCA, the flight attendant confiscated the device, I am not sure if she gave it back to him after we landed. I gave her a job well done certificate, I wish delta gave us more of those to hand out each year.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by mspreh
I reported someone using the device on my flight today from MSP to DCA, the flight attendant confiscated the device, I am not sure if she gave it back to him after we landed. I gave her a job well done certificate, I wish delta gave us more of those to hand out each year.
Give yourself a job well done certificate too. ^

It would make may day to report some jerk using one of these and see it taken away.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Many thumbs up to that!

Outstanding. Well handled by both you and the FA. That's how it should work.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Many thumbs up to that!

^^^ Excellent! If there was an FT JWD, you would've earned several today! Just out of curiosity, was it being used on your seat or did you see it being used on someone else's?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Yes. People have the right to recline their seat. Why is this such a difficult concept to understand ?
Knees work just as well

I disagree. My partner is 6 ft, 6 inches. When he puts the seat back, his scalp is in the person's face. If the person is trying to do some work, do you have the right to keep her from it

Common courtesy
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
The right to recline stops at the point where the knees of the person behind start.

Arguments about "the taller person behind should have bought a different seat" are specious: it's just as valid to say that the person reclining should have bought a seat where they knew the person behind was not tall: both are ridiculous arguments.

The only relevant fact is very simple: buying a seat (or anything else) does not give you a right to cause harm to another person in a shared space. If you don't agree with that then have fun in court next time you run down a pedestrian because they happened to be where you wanted to drive after you'd paid you car taxes.

It's shared space: behave like adults instead of over entitled little children. Sometimes you'll be able to recline. Others you won't. People need to get over it.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Sometimes you'll be able to recline. Others you won't. People need to get over it.
Sometimes you will be able to work on your computer because the person in front of you doesn't recline. Other times you won't. People need to get over it.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; United Platinum; AA Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Sometimes you will be able to work on your computer because the person in front of you doesn't recline. Other times you won't. People need to get over it.

^ Agreed, if you must do work, pay for extra leg room in economy or B/F.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:57 am
Suspended

The right to recline stops at the point where the knees of the person behind start.

It's shared space: behave like adults instead of over entitled little children. Sometimes you'll be able to recline. Others you won't. People need to get over it.
Much better said than mine. It is common courtesy. The person with the computer should have nicely asked the lady not to recline so much and in the best world she would have agreed

Sounds like neither were "nice". Are people applauding her throwing her coffee on him?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Originally Posted by Badenoch
You seem to have missed a relevant clause in the post you spun this off of (emphasis mine):

People who aren't 6'2"+ don't seem to get that unlike working on a laptop or not, this isn't a choice for us.

I didn't get a switch to flip at age 14 to stop growing at 6'/165, nor did I start getting a $200/itin bonus flying-while-tall credit 8ish years ago to compensate for the rise of E-. Not being able to try to work IAD-SEA is annoying, but knowing I'm going to suffer through back and knee pain for the next few days so the 5'6" middle manager in front of me can lay back and luxuriate is infuriating.

(Also, given our relative head positions post-recline, I'm staring at his bald spot the whole way, and that's even worse than pre-DirecTV UA IFE.)

For the record: I don't own a Knee Defender, and I won't. It's not worth crossing an FA. That said, as an introvert I sympathize 100% with not feeling comfortable directly confronting someone who'll be <2 feet away from me for the next 5 hours and who's already shown a willingness to hurt me for his personal comfort.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Arguments about "the taller person behind should have bought a different seat" are specious: it's just as valid to say that the person reclining should have bought a seat where they knew the person behind was not tall: both are ridiculous arguments.

The only relevant fact is very simple: buying a seat (or anything else) does not give you a right to cause harm to another person in a shared space. If you don't agree with that then have fun in court next time you run down a pedestrian because they happened to be where you wanted to drive after you'd paid you car taxes.

First, there are seats with either non-reclining seats or no seats directly in front, many affording extra legroom. These are known quantities. What are not known quantities are physical characteristics of passengers immediately adjacent to you.

Second, how are you defining "harm"? Slamming the seat back and actually causing injury to one's knees is certainly harm, but is restricting space to work "harm"? Also, it's in no way equivalent to running down a pedestrian because pedestrians, even in unmarked crosswalks, typically have right of way over motor vehicles. There is no such law, or even airline regulation, to that effect when it comes to seat recline.

Finally, to your point, it is SHARED space. Everyone needs to get over the fact that some people are going to share the space through reclining their seats.

EDITED TO ADD:
Originally Posted by VT_hawkeye
That said, as an introvert I sympathize 100% with not feeling comfortable directly confronting someone who'll be <2 feet away from me for the next 5 hours and who's already shown a willingness to hurt me for his personal comfort.
First of all, that's not what "introvert" means. And speak up if something is bothering you. As I mentioned above, it is a SHARED space, but if you feel I'm intruding on your space to the extent that it is causing you genuine discomfort (rather than just annoyance at the gall of the person in front to recline), I would want to know. Most people would be accommodating to someone who politely makes a request, as opposed to the ill will caused by banging the seat, muttering under your breath, etc. All this passive-aggressive (or sometimes just downright aggressive) behavior does nothing to facilitate a civil and enjoyable travel experience everyone claims they want.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Nov 13, 2014 at 8:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.