Online camera stores ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online camera stores ...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:17 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
By the way, if anyone is in New York city.

GO TO B&H IN PERSON!

It's basically the mecca of photo/video equipment.. it's MASSIVE and full of helpful and awesome staff.

^^^
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by vmsea

GO TO B&H IN PERSON!

It's basically the mecca of photo/video equipment.. it's MASSIVE and full of helpful and awesome staff.

^^^
Thanks. If you can't come in person, try our virtual walk through, courtesy Google maps.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: most of them

GO TO B&H IN PERSON!

^^^
I stopped in the store once a couple of years ago. Maybe the photo department is more knowledgable, but the guy in the electronics/earphones department knew almost nothing about the merchandise. And their totally convoluted checkout system seems to waste a lot of time. Unless they have streamlined it since I was there (i think that was summer of 2009).

Next time I am in town I will probably go to Adorama's store to compare.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I stopped in the store once a couple of years ago. Maybe the photo department is more knowledgable, but the guy in the electronics/earphones department knew almost nothing about the merchandise. And their totally convoluted checkout system seems to waste a lot of time. Unless they have streamlined it since I was there (i think that was summer of 2009).

Next time I am in town I will probably go to Adorama's store to compare.
I've not been but I heard Adorama is just a regular sized camera shop, much like any other camera shop. The sheer size of BH is amazing.
You're right the check out is a bit convoluted, but it adds to the mystique?

I don't know about earphone dept.. but their camera guys are awesome. Also they have just about every model of body, lens, available. it's pretty cool to be able to try all those lenses...
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've not been but I heard Adorama is just a regular sized camera shop, much like any other camera shop. The sheer size of BH is amazing.
You're right the check out is a bit convoluted, but it adds to the mystique?

I don't know about earphone dept.. but their camera guys are awesome. Also they have just about every model of body, lens, available. it's pretty cool to be able to try all those lenses...
I've to B&H's brick-and-mortar store a number of times. It's fantastic! I've only bought camera stuff, but the sales folks are not only extremely knowledgeable, they're really helpful. I once went in to buy a telephoto lens and mentioned a specific model. The saleman asked me what I'd be using it for, and with what camera. Based on my answers he recommended a lens that would be just as good and cost substantially less (and it was!). To me, it doesn't get any better than that.

As for checkout, I love the "Disneyland e-ticket" ride for whatever it is you bought -- it's fun to watch everything swirling overhead on conveyors.

Though I've bought from Adorama, and they're fine, my first stop, either in person or on-line, is always B&H.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
As for checkout, I love the "Disneyland e-ticket" ride for whatever it is you bought -- it's fun to watch everything swirling overhead on conveyors.
+1 ^^^
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've not been but I heard Adorama is just a regular sized camera shop, much like any other camera shop.
It is. I live basically between the two so which I shop at often depends on what other errands I'm running or which has the better price for (or has in stock) the product I want that day. If you're going in to actually buy then both are very good. If you are going just to look around then B&H is significantly more fun.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:28 pm

While out visiting the Los Angeles area I've used both Calumet and Sammys. Calumet I found good and knowledgeable folks but the store (on highland) was not that large. I went to the Sammys camera on S. Fairfax and it was floors and floors of gear old and new.

Calumet match their website prices but Sammys are not the same price if you go in person.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:56 pm

One of the best I found there is Simon's Camera 1316 at North Western Ave for a honest deal. I got a new Contax G2 and found there prices the best in USA. They are doing a small business since early 80s and providing the best services. They have anything you want. Its the best place for you if you want higher lever gear.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:21 am

I have got my from online shopping at Amazon.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:51 am

I've not been but I heard Adorama is just a regular sized camera shop, much like any other camera shop. ...
True, Adorama doesn't have the physical floor space, but with an inventory of over 80,000 different new items and 26-27,000 used, I don't think we'd consider ourselves to be 'just a regular camera store'!

As well as 'regular' camera gear, Adorama stocks telescopes, sporting scopes, microscopes; gear for astro photography; forensic and shooting equipment; printers and accessories for home and business; TVs; automotive, marine and motorcycle accessories - plus a complete iphoneography range (and more!) Nearly forgot - there is also a complete 'Pro' department; Adorama Rentals, and the printing/photobook business, AdoramaPix....

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Last edited by HelenOster; Jan 27, 2013 at 3:53 am Reason: missing info
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by HelenOster
True, Adorama doesn't have the physical floor space, but with an inventory of over 80,000 different new items and 26-27,000 used, I don't think we'd consider ourselves to be 'just a regular camera store'!

As well as 'regular' camera gear, Adorama stocks telescopes, sporting scopes, microscopes; gear for astro photography; forensic and shooting equipment; printers and accessories for home and business; TVs; automotive, marine and motorcycle accessories - plus a complete iphoneography range (and more!) Nearly forgot - there is also a complete 'Pro' department; Adorama Rentals, and the printing/photobook business, AdoramaPix....

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
You forgot about the dive gear shop on the 3rd floor.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
You are right, I did!

There are some great pics here:
http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/A...ning-AdoramaTV from the party to celebrate the opening of the Pro Imaging Department (I wasn't invited )

And these are a bit old, but these pics are from a Ken Rockwell tour of the store:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/trips/2009-08-nyc/19b.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/trips/2009-08-nyc/12.htm
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

I have shopped numerous times at both. They have very different vibes but both are fantastic. I don't get camera gear anywhere other than those two places. . Went to a wonderful workshop at Adorama once too. They have classroom space upstairs somewhere.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
which by the way, even if you don't dive, has excellent prices on pelican cases. I laugh every time I carry wine in the case from the dive shop for way less than anybody else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.