Online camera stores ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online camera stores ...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by nfw1948
I would highly recommend B&H Photo. I have spent several thousands $ in the last several months and have had the best experience with them. They are an authorized Olympus dealer and they have a huge selection of Oly and other products. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. In addition, the product is shipped right away. I will most likely look to them first before, and again after, searching any other site.
Thank you. This is wonderful to read!

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:34 am

i may need to replace my small pocket size camera too. i guess can get some helpful info here
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:30 pm

Another vote for B&H, with the plus that Henry is not only here, but has been active on various forums for many years. I remember him thanking me for a photo.net review, oh 5 years ago. (Hi, Henry. And please offer a non B&H tape option on your outgoing packages. If another B&H box arrives at my house, I may be looking at a divorce.)

Also Adorama is good for mail order (and carry some items that B&H do not, such as Think Tank), also been going to them for years (bought my F3 there!).
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by tbassny
Another vote for B&H, with the plus that Henry is not only here, but has been active on various forums for many years. I remember him thanking me for a photo.net review, oh 5 years ago. (Hi, Henry. And please offer a non B&H tape option on your outgoing packages. If another B&H box arrives at my house, I may be looking at a divorce.)

Also Adorama is good for mail order (and carry some items that B&H do not, such as Think Tank), also been going to them for years (bought my F3 there!).
i would also vote for B&H. I have shopped quite a lot of stuff online from Canada and got it shipped there. Never had any problems
Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:57 am

I am going to buy a camera as a gift to my father

Can any body introduce a oneline Credible shop which is also selling at competitive price.
Thank you soooooo much!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jessieshong
Can any body introduce a oneline Credible shop which is also selling at competitive price.
Thank you soooooo much!
B&H is THE most reliable, honest and trustworthy retailer (of anything) on the internet. Their prices are very competitive. www.bhphotovideo.com
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Cheapo Camera Accessories?

When I am purchasing a new camera I'm likely to use of the the camera stores mentioned above in this thread. But how about cheap accessories?

In the digital world there are Hong Kong stores like DealExtreme and LEDShoppe that sell accessory and impulse-buy items at very low prices. Frequently there is something just a bit wrong with their engineering or construction, but (at least for awhile) they do "work." Delivery typically takes 3 or 4 weeks to the U.S., but shipping is free.

Is there someplace like that for camera filters, flash, lens caps and other small photographic accessories?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by PTravel
Originally Posted by Jessieshong
Thank you soooooo much!
B&H is THE most reliable, honest and trustworthy retailer (of anything) on the internet. Their prices are very competitive. www.bhphotovideo.com
I would put B&H and Adorama on the same level. For that matter Amazon. Although be careful at Amazon that it is direct from Amazon or another reputable dealer. Several items I have ordered from Amazon have actually been labeled as shipping from B&H which is of course okay as well.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Several items I have ordered from Amazon have actually been labeled as shipping from B&H which is of course okay as well.
B&H Photo has no relationship with Amazon. We are not "partners" there and have no selling presence. If anyone ever orders from amazon and gets a package from B&H it's because your seller bought the merchandise from us, a practice we discourage.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by henryp
...a practice we discourage.
Why? (Just curious. You already made your sale on that item, presumably at a price agreeable to you.)
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I have purchased a DSLR kit, a nice camcorder, and a used P & S from BHPhoto and have nothing but good things to say about them. Today I actually am returning the P&S that I purchased a couple weeks ago due to being unhappy with the video quality. (not B&H fault) and they sent out a RA without any problems.

Before buying the DSLR from B&H I tried to purchase it from Abe's of maine. Placed my order online but they wouldn't approve my CC and said I had to call them to complete the purchase. I called and they did a very aggressive up-sell, didn't seem to have anything to do with my CC they just wanted the chance to up-sell me. After about 10 minutes of nonsense, I told them to just cancel the order and I never would consider ordering from them again.

I have purchased thousands and thousands of dollars on amazon over the past 10 years or so without any issues but, I recently made the mistake of purchasing an unlocked cell phone from Amazon without realizing that it was a 3rd party seller, hey, amazon changed me using the card on file and seemed to be amazon as far as I could tell. anyway, made the purchase on my phone and it was difficult to see what was going on. Well, it had issues and amazon wouldn't stand behind the sell, said it was up to the seller to refund the purchase. Seller wouldn't budge. I lost out on a couple hundred dollars. Lesson learned. Don't buy ANYTHING from amazon that isn't a direct amazon purchase.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by henryp
B&H Photo has no relationship with Amazon. We are not "partners" there and have no selling presence. If anyone ever orders from amazon and gets a package from B&H it's because your seller bought the merchandise from us, a practice we discourage.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Thanks for that information. Has that always been the case? I ordered a few Canon L lenses about 6 years ago and thought one came from B&H. Could be faulty memory of course, I might have ordered direct from B&H as well. Sorry if my previous post was misleading.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
Why? (Just curious. You already made your sale on that item, presumably at a price agreeable to you.)
Because most likely the person/business that bought the product from B&H and sold it to you is not an authorized dealer.

Unless the intermediary is also an authorized reseller for that product then you as the end purchaser effectively have no warranty and little if any other recourse.

Unlike automobiles, with most photography and electronics equipment the warranty does not follow the product, it follows the original dated receipt from an authorized dealer. In this case the Amazon.com retailer is the original purchaser and has the original, dated receipt, not you.

Nikon for example will not repair [in warranty or out] or provide parts for gray market or other equipment purchased through an unauthorized reseller - even if you offer to pay Nikon for the repair.

I am sure that B&H is worried - and for good reason - that when you try to have that product repaired with the unauthorized Amazon.com reseller and he tells you to go pound sand, that you will then try to get B&H to service it, which they have absolutely no responsibility to do.

Last edited by anrkitec; Mar 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Because most likely the person/business that bought the product from B&H and sold it to you is not an authorized dealer.

Unless the intermediary is also an authorized reseller for that product then you as the end purchaser effectively have no warranty and little if any other recourse.

Unlike automobiles, with most photography and electronics equipment the warranty does not follow the product, it follows the original dated receipt from an authorized dealer. In this case the Amazon.com retailer is the original purchaser and has the original, dated receipt, not you.

Nikon for example will not repair [in warranty or out] or provide parts for gray market or other equipment purchased through an unauthorized reseller - even if you offer to pay Nikon for the repair.

I am sure that B&H is worried - and for good reason - that when you try to have that product repaired with the unauthorized Amazon.com reseller and he tells you to go pound sand, that you will then try to get B&H to service it, which they have absolutely no responsibility to do.

In this case, I was able to get a hefty rebate from Canon and they recognized it as being from an authorized dealer. So either it was an old relationship or a memory failure on my part.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
In this case, I was able to get a hefty rebate from Canon and they recognized it as being from an authorized dealer. So either it was an old relationship or a memory failure on my part.
I can't of course speak to your specific case but in terms of warranties Canon is somewhat different when compared to Nikon and others. They have a really liberal approach to warranty and gray market issues and will pretty much service any of their equipment regardless of which country it was/was intended to be sold in.

But as you say you received Canon rebates then your Amazon.com retailer must have been an authorized dealer or they gave you the original receipt that they got from B&H. I say this because it isn't the "Canon Corporation" that offers and pays rebates, it is the individual official importer; CanonUSA, CanonUK, CanonFrance, etc.

As liberal as their policies are I can't imagine that CanonUSA would pay for a rebate on a gray market product originally imported by/intended for CanonThailand for example.

Last edited by anrkitec; Mar 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.