Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online camera stores ...

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I purchased a Canon EOS 450D with 2 lenses from Amazon. One of the lenses was actually sold by Cameta. I was not aware of it at time of purchase. I received the lens in 10 days compared to 2 days from Amazon. All via free shipping.
That good experience with Cameta lead to another purchase of 2 third party brand batteries for my D90 (I know, I should have stayed with Nikon brand). The batteries (2 of them) do not hold charge, at best holds about 35% of full charge. I want to return for replacement after 1 use. Have emailed (this is according to Amazon-Cameta procedure) to Cameta five days ago. Still have not heard from them.

I think if nothing goes wrong, Cameta is fine. But when you have a problem with the product, they don't seem to respond! Any similar experience with Cameta? If so, how did you get resolution?
Old May 18, 2009, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by allset2travel
That good experience with Cameta lead to another purchase of 2 third party brand batteries for my D90 (I know, I should have stayed with Nikon brand). The batteries (2 of them) do not hold charge, at best holds about 35% of full charge. I want to return for replacement after 1 use. Have emailed (this is according to Amazon-Cameta procedure) to Cameta five days ago. Still have not heard from them.

I think if nothing goes wrong, Cameta is fine. But when you have a problem with the product, they don't seem to respond! Any similar experience with Cameta? If so, how did you get resolution?
I've not had any problem with Cameta, but I have certainly had problems with 3rd party batteries on a D90. Usually, I prefer to buy no-name batteries, but the D90 is notoriously picky with batteries. I had 2 clone batteries that worked fine - even lasted longer than the genuine Nikon batteries in my D50 and D80 - but the D90 won't recognize them as charged, even when they are fully charged, it won't operate and gives the dead battery symbol. I finally bit the bullet and got a couple of Genuine Nikon EN-EL3e spares. Fortunately, I was able to pick them up for under $24 each from a guy on ebay who was unloading his entire Nikon D90 kit because he had been laid off. Most of the supposedly "authentic" EN-EL3e batteries that come from China are counterfeits, and no different fro the average $12 clone battery except for the fake labeling.
Old May 18, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
......but the D90 is notoriously picky with batteries. I had 2 clone batteries that worked fine - even lasted longer than the genuine Nikon batteries in my D50 and D80 - but the D90 won't recognize them as charged, even when they are fully charged, it won't operate and gives the dead battery symbol. ....
My experience apparently is a bit different. The empty battery will take very short time to indicate full-charge on the charger. When put in the camera, it shows about 25% to 30% full. That would last 60 to 80 shots, then goes dead.

I would not buy anything from Cameta until they at least respond to my email.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA,AA,USAir,Cont
Camera Stores on internet

I have dealt with B&H for years. They do not always have the lowest price, but they always have a fair price and they deliver the goods. I have never had a problem with them nor have I been disappointed in their delivery or service.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:47 am

I am sorry I am late to the conversation.

@rkkwan http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo
+1 for resellerratings! Excellent resource.

@ Thrillington I have spent several thousands with B&H over the years and know many others who have done the same without one problem.
Thank you.

@anrkitec it is silly to suggest that B&H is somehow geared towards "amateurs".
Not necessarily silly, but perhaps a misunderstanding. B&H calls itseld "The Professional's Source" because we have a large clientele of pros and because we treat every customer with the same respect as if he or she was a pro.

@Teacher49 B&H used to - and perhaps still does - sell "gray market" equipment that they would warranty themselves. I would trust them.
Thank you. We do sell some "grey market" 35mm slr film cameras, lenses and speedlights. We do not sell any "Grey market" digital cameras. Any "grey market" item we sell is clearly lablelled as such on our web site.

@Johnsfreitag I have dealt with B&H for years. They do not always have the lowest price, but they always have a fair price and they deliver the goods. I have never had a problem with them nor have I been disappointed in their delivery or service.
Thank you. This is very gratifying.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by Enigma
Long-term reputation:

B&H Photo
Amazon

Heard of but never used or got feedback on:

Canoga Camera

Use at your own risk:

eBay

Flight of fancy:

Yodobashi (Japan) *drool*

The guys and gals at CanogaCamera.com have earned my business!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
I like the relationship I have with the guys at my local Penn Camera, but when I can save a lot of money online for something (like my 80-200 f/2.8, then I typicaly find the best deal at adorama.com.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:28 am

Sams Club, Costo, BJ's

Are they selling gray market cameras?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by happymom2008
I am pretty sure Costco don't, and would assumed the other don't either.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henryp
I am sorry I am late to the conversation.

@rkkwan http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo
+1 for resellerratings! Excellent resource.

@ Thrillington I have spent several thousands with B&H over the years and know many others who have done the same without one problem.
Thank you.

@anrkitec it is silly to suggest that B&H is somehow geared towards "amateurs".
Not necessarily silly, but perhaps a misunderstanding. B&H calls itseld "The Professional's Source" because we have a large clientele of pros and because we treat every customer with the same respect as if he or she was a pro.

@Teacher49 B&H used to - and perhaps still does - sell "gray market" equipment that they would warranty themselves. I would trust them.
Thank you. We do sell some "grey market" 35mm slr film cameras, lenses and speedlights. We do not sell any "Grey market" digital cameras. Any "grey market" item we sell is clearly lablelled as such on our web site.

@Johnsfreitag I have dealt with B&H for years. They do not always have the lowest price, but they always have a fair price and they deliver the goods. I have never had a problem with them nor have I been disappointed in their delivery or service.
Thank you. This is very gratifying.
Hi, Henry, welcome to FlyerTalk!

For those who don't know him, Henry works at B&H and contributes to a host of web forums. If you ever have a problem with B&H that their customer service can't resolve (and, in 15 years of buying from them, I never have), I suggest you drop him a PM -- he'll help you out. Henry is yet one more reason why B&H is my first and only stop when I need photo or electronics gear. ^
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
For those who don't know him, Henry works at B&H and contributes to a host of web forums. If you ever have a problem with B&H that their customer service can't resolve (and, in 15 years of buying from them, I never have), I suggest you drop him a PM -- he'll help you out. Henry is yet one more reason why B&H is my first and only stop when I need photo or electronics gear.
Thank you. This is very gracious and much appreciated. One caveat - I don't get to every forum every day (or even every week in some instances). Sending an email is a better option than a forum PM. I mean no disrespect to the forum or its members, but if you need me, that's your best option.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Last edited by henryp; Nov 24, 2009 at 9:18 am
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by PTravel
For those who don't know him, Henry works at B&H and contributes to a host of web forums. If you ever have a problem with B&H that their customer service can't resolve (and, in 15 years of buying from them, I never have), I suggest you drop him a PM -- he'll help you out. Henry is yet one more reason why B&H is my first and only stop when I need photo or electronics gear. ^
Originally Posted by henryp
Thank you. This is very gracious and much appreciated. One caveat - I don't get to every forum every day (or even every week in some instances). Sending an email is a better option than a forum PM. I mean no disrespect to the forum or its members, but if you need me, that's your best option.
HenryP, another welcome to FT! May I suggest you should state your B&H affiliation in a signature. Not everyone will be able to recognize you from abbreviated name as PTravel could.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happymom2008
canon has a special that is available only at costco. would be really weird for that to be a gray mkt.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
HenryP, another welcome to FT! May I suggest you should state your B&H affiliation in a signature. Not everyone will be able to recognize you from abbreviated name as PTravel could.
Thanks. I have our logo as a custom avatar but I don't see it in the forum. I also don't see the usual forum option to create a sig so it seems I have to remember to add it manually.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:32 pm
Suspended

ressellerratings dawt cam is your friend. It rates all of the websites online where people purchase things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.