Online camera stores ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online camera stores ...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I would put B&H and Adorama on the same level....
IMO, B&H is at the top for customer service and Adorama is several steps down. In fact, I will never use Adorama again.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Skink
IMO, B&H is at the top for customer service and Adorama is several steps down. In fact, I will never use Adorama again.
My BOLD.
Totally concur re Adorama. I have not placed an order with them since they screwed me 1.5 years ago.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: CX-AM
Broadway Photo just got busted haha
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...retailers.html

anyways, I'd put Amazon at the top of my list since they don't charge return shipping fees most of the time in the event you do need to return a lens or what have you.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Skink
I......I will never use Adorama again.
Originally Posted by allset2travel
My BOLD.
Totally concur re Adorama. I have not placed an order with them since they screwed me 1.5 years ago.
I was extremely concerned to read both of these postings and as I cannot ID your past relationships with Adorama from your postings, all I can do at this point is to offer a deep and sincere apology.

However long ago these incidents occurred, if you can email me directly: [email protected], with additional details I will investigate - and ensure that any outstanding issues are resolved.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 8:26 am

To answer a couple of questions in one post:

B&H has never had a relationship with Amazon. We've never been a "partner" or "merchant" there. I like Amazon and bought a lot of my kid's college textbooks there for less than the campus bookstore wanted, but you won't get advice from them on what's the best bit of hardware you need to solve some esoteric image-making problem and no one from there is visiting this forum.

We won't knowingly sell to resellers for reasons others here have outlined.
  • We prefer to establish and maintain the retailer-end user relationship our self.
  • Our authorized retailer agreements with our suppliers often prohibits this kind of transaction.
  • The end-user's warranty may be compromised or invalidated.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Old Mar 29, 2011, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by henryp
To answer a couple of questions in one post:

B&H has never had a relationship with Amazon. We've never been a "partner" or "merchant" there. I like amazon and bought a lot of my kid's college textbooks there for less than the campus bookstore wanted, but you won't get advice from them on what's the best bit of hardware you need to solve some esoteric image-making problem and no one from there is visiting this forum.

We won't knowingly sell to resellers for reasons others here have outlined. We prefer to establish and maintain the retailer-end user relationship our self. Our authorized retailer agreements with our suppliers often prohibits doing so. The end-user's warranty may be compromised or invalidated.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Thanks for the clarification. Even though it points to a flaw in my memory
Old Mar 29, 2011, 8:42 am

I've used both Abes and B&H for a few purchases over the years with no problems...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
I've had very good experiences with B&H, Abes, Adorama and Beach...never a problem and always prompt confirmation/shipping.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA, BA, CO, US
I've mostly ordered from Adorama and Amazon.

Last year both of them (along with B&H and most of the other big reputable places) were all sold out of D700s and I needed one before a big trip I was taking.

Abe's of Maine's website said they had them available so I ordered one only to get the infamous upsell phone call a short while later from one of their sales people. I got the "Broadway Photo" treatment, telling me at first the "body only" kit didn't come with a strap, battery, etc. Once I got him to admit that was BS then I got the "the battery only lasts for 30 minutes" line and that the 2 batteries I already had for my D300 were not compatible with the D700 (they are.) Then I got the extended warranty push. I declined everything and then I was told my D700 would ship when they came in.

"But your website said it was in stock!" I said.

"No, the website says it's available. As in we can order it. We don't have any in stock."

I cancelled my order and will not be doing business with them again. I ordered a few small things from them in the past with no trouble, I was disappointed with how this all went down.

In the end 17th Street Photo had one in stock but at a higher price than the other places, but they also offered an instante rebate with lens purchase so I got a lens I had been thinking about getting and came out ahead.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:48 pm
jtn

Programs: UA 1K
I have bought from Cameta camera before and have been happy with their service and price.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: AA, BA, bmi, IHG, UA
I've always found both Adorama and B+H great for price and service.

About a year ago I bought a refurb Canon 24-105 f4 L from Adorama; didn't really use it much for 6 months then spotted that it didn't quite infinity focus properly - rang them up and got a return authorisation so expected it would take a few weeks to be repaired.

Got a new (canon refurb) unit still canon factory sealed back by return of post.

Also had good service with JR.com and you get 3 aadvantage miles if you link through from the aadvantage shopping forum - but sometimes they do cost a little more
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by drrbates
About a year ago I bought a refurb Canon 24-105 f4 L from Adorama; didn't really use it much for 6 months then spotted that it didn't quite infinity focus properly - rang them up and got a return authorisation so expected it would take a few weeks to be repaired.

Got a new (canon refurb) unit still canon factory sealed back by return of post.
Very good to hear - thank you so much for your feedback, which is very much appreciated.

BTW I'm always only an email away for advice or after-sales support with any order from Adorama: [email protected]
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: http://www.vietnamvisa.com/
Originally Posted by Teacher49
I am about to replace my several years old Canon Digi Rebel with a Nikon D40 simply because I am tired of the wait for the Canon to power up after going to sleep.

In looking around I see that not many places have the body only, in fact that some say that the D40 is offered only in a "kit" with the 18 - 55 lens.

So this brings up the question of reliability of the places that are offering the body only at prices as low as $320.00 as compared to $500.00 at places like B&H.

Broadway Camera is one of those places, for example. Any experiences with that out fit? Any general observation on how to tell the honest from the less than?

I have bought from B&H for years, but ...
I like the Nikon D90 for the ability to shoot 720p high-definition video (1280 x 720 pixel)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
If you must must must get it new.. B&H or Adorama are both exceptional service.

However, why get it brand new? just get it brand new in box used.. for a discount.
Check out Fred Miranda. it's a website for people who are as crazy about photography as people here are about travel/miles. there's a buy/sell forum (which u can access without lame post count requirements).

It's fantastic as a resource.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've bought parts of my kit used but there are still a few reasons - namely warranty and guarantee of delivery - to buy new. Both have their place in the market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.