Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online camera stores ...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:16 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!

Last edited by fti; Nov 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reason: dupe
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by fti
Yes, B&H is a pretty amazing place. I have been shopping there since their retail store was on E. 17th Street (or thereabouts). I know I am showing my age, since I have been shopping there for about 40 years. Normally they are my 'go to' store for anything camera- or electronic-related, ...
Thank you.
Our old W 17th St storefront.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:47 am

Duplicate

Last edited by henryp; Nov 22, 2013 at 11:07 am
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by henryp
Thank you...
Nice memories from when I lived in NYC: BH and Adorama for photo stuff, and JR's classical music store for LPs. Chinatown for lunch. But, Henry, a dozen posts in more than 4 years? Hope all has been well.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:37 am
Suspended

Thank you.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Having all that Darkroom equipment in the front display window certainly dates that photo. I can't imagine you sell too many enlargers nowadays.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyboy60
Having all that Darkroom equipment in the front display window certainly dates that photo.
I was thinking the same thing. And is AFGA even around anymore?

"I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It's the smell of victory!"- Darkroom Apocalypse Now
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aktchi
Nice memories from when I lived in NYC: BH and Adorama for photo stuff, and JR's classical music store for LPs. Chinatown for lunch. But, Henry, a dozen posts in more than 4 years? Hope all has been well.
He spends quite a bit more time on photography-specific forums. I'm wondering if his PC is programmed to send him alerts whenever various forums mention B&H, so he can check in on things.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:09 am

I have more than 100 forums in my bookmarks. I try t visit those which need my attention. Some I visit daily, some weekly, some when I get a 'head's up' via Google Search or BoardReader. If you need me, shine the BatSignal & I'll be here.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by flyboy60
He spends quite a bit more time on photography-specific forums. I'm wondering if his PC is programmed to send him alerts whenever various forums mention B&H, so he can check in on things.
I have more than 100 forums in my bookmarks. I try t visit those which need my attention. Some I visit daily, some weekly, some when I get a 'head's up' via Google Search or BoardReader. If you need me, shine the BatSignal & I'll be here.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Henry is like the internet rep / trouble shooter of B&H. He is around all the forums where B&H is mentioned, mostly photo and video base.

He is highly recommended on the internet when you have issues with B&H. I can't verify for I never had any issue buying from B&H even before I had credit cards and had to send money order.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Don't forget to be careful with online camera stores. You can check anyone on http://www.resellerratings.com/

Beware of any store with less than 3-stars, or anyone new. They get about 50 friends to pump up their ratings, then run scam operations, and then just start a new store.

Adorama/BH/Amazon/AbesofMaine are the way to go. Tho I did just see a too-good-to-be-true deal from Abe's that said (in the smallest of letters) "import" which is grey-market. Grey-market doesn't come with a warranty. I thought Abe's was above such trickery.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: UA Plat
Thank you.

B&H was my first place to visit on my first trip to NYC a few years back. Partly because I wanted a particular lens for my camera before doing the tourist thing, but it is quite an awesome place in itself...

Worth a visit even just to browse, and watch other peoples stuff wizz by in the glass counters.

Z...
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:39 pm

If money is the most determining factor for choosing what DSLR you get, you will have to purchase either a brand new entry-level consumer DSLR like the D3200, or any older/used DSLR, preferably one with an auto-focus motor.

Entry-level cameras don’t have auto-focus motors in the DSLR body, so only lenses that have Auto-Focus motors inside of them can be used with them. Having no Auto-Focus (AF) motor in the camera isn’t that big of a deal if you are first starting out because you will most likely be using a kit lens that comes with the DSLR body anyway, which is perfectly fine.

If you have a little bit more money to spend ($800-$2000), start out getting any DSLR that is in the gray highlighting. These cameras will either be an advanced consumer camera (they typically call these prosumer DSLRs), or better yet, a compact professional camera (ex. D300s, D800, D600). These DSLRs will be able to use almost all lenses available, have cleaner image quality, shoot more frames per-second, have more auto-focus points, and the physical body will be more robust.

If you have even more money to spend (more than $2000), you can get a Professional DSLR that has a full-frame sensor (as indicated by the green highlighting in the chart) and at least one full-frame lens to go along with it. The lenses you put on a full-frame DSLR body need to be high-quality (i.e. expensive) in order to make use of the high quality full-frame sensor.

Lets put things in perspective by contrasting the levels of DSLRs:
An Consumer level D3100 camera costs ~$450 with an 18-55mm lens included.

A Prosumer level camera, like a D90 or D7100 will cost around $1000-$2000 for the body, and another $2000 for 1-3 lenses, depending on which lens/lenses you get.

A Professional DSLR (like a crop-frame D300s, or full-frame D600, D800, or D4) for the body only, will cost ~$2000-$10,000 and $2000 for a standard zoom lens. Most pro full-frame lenses cost ~$2000, so if you wanted to get 2 more zoom lenses, you would be at $6000 for lenses. Prime lenses are cheaper.

These prices are subject to change dramatically due to various factors such as technology getting cheaper, inflation, buying used vs. buying new, buying right after the release date of the DSLR/lens, etc.

--
Mark James
Christchurch
http://PhotographyMadeEasy.net

Last edited by PhotographyDream; Jan 1, 2014 at 6:51 pm
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the photo, never knew B&H looked like that =P

Thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RaghavMittal
Hi,

I too looking for the best online camera store, but couldn't find any more.

Please provide the links for the best one.
www.bhphoto.com
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Avis PP. Dropped UA*G.
I have got nothing but good things to say about Digital Rev. I was worried at first about the idea of importing glass from abroad but the fact that there is a social network attached to the site that's not full of complaints was a good confidence builder. Have bought lots of glass with red bracelets from DR since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.