Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Test & Go Application Process changes

Test & Go Application Process changes

Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
I tested positive after landing in BKK yesterday under the Test & Go scheme. I've managed to stay in my original hotel last night pending a second test (no symptoms).

My understanding is that at this point my only options are isolation at a hospital or hospital-affiliated 'hospitel'.

So far, I've seen the Midtown hotel under Bangkok hospital, or Thai Sun & Maduzi under BNH.

Is there any 5 star hotel? Ideally one with balconies in the room...
Sorry to hear this for you. I went thru it last year. Not fun, but hopefully you can make the most of it.

Interesting they are allowing a confirmation test now, and apparently some flexibility now in how to proceed. For me, was no choice, just straight to hotel for a 10 day stint. Do keep us all updated on how things proceed.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Sorry to hear this for you. I went thru it last year. Not fun, but hopefully you can make the most of it.

Interesting they are allowing a confirmation test now, and apparently some flexibility now in how to proceed. For me, was no choice, just straight to hotel for a 10 day stint. Do keep us all updated on how things proceed.
Just came back positive again, but late enough that I should be safe in my original hotel for tonight. Will try getting a 3rd test...
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Just came back positive again, but late enough that I should be safe in my original hotel for tonight. Will try getting a 3rd test...
Sorry to hear that HumbleBee, I hope you get well soon! What's next? You have to go to a hospital? Or can you stay in a hotel, and if so do you have to pay that yourself?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Sorry to hear about the positive test. As a result of the costs incurred, does the AXA insurance cover everything?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Sorry to hear that. I guess you would have got it somewhere in between your flight? I keep testing almost every week as I have a trip next week and I already tested positive middle of last month and now got two negative tests and hope I do not get positive again next week.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:35 am

I've luckily managed to convince them to let me stay in the original hotel for a 3rd confirmatory test, and scheduled it on Friday afternoon - so results would be late enough that they couldn't ask me to go to hospital/hospitel until Saturday, and I feel rather confident I will manage to extend it further. I got the impression hospitels are pretty full.

The ultimate authority appears to be the doctor at the private hospital that was contracted by the hotel to do the day 1 & day 5 tests. Every process was a broken telephone of hotel calling a nurse who called the doctor, which had the excellent benefit of postponing any unfavorable decision. Everybody has been super nice and helpful along the way, and it does seem they are doing their best to bend the protocols only that much, while maintaining a firm grip on me isolating in my room and not presenting any symptoms or risk factors.

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Sorry to hear about the positive test. As a result of the costs incurred, does the AXA insurance cover everything?
It seems they would cover it if I isolate at a hotel, but hospitel is gray area and I've gotten different answers whether it would be covered - at least in part. The costs are 100-200k THB (depending on the room type) for the 4 star hospitels for 10 days, assuming no medical care would be needed other than standard screening and painkillers.

Each extra confirmatory test cost 5000 THB, (2k each way for special car to hospital & 1k for test). I'll submit it for reimbursement later but doubt they'll cover it.
italdesign likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Sorry to hear that. I guess you would have got it somewhere in between your flight? I keep testing almost every week as I have a trip next week and I already tested positive middle of last month and now got two negative tests and hope I do not get positive again next week.
It could've been incubating already before I took off and still didn't show up on the pre-departure test.

Not sure about Thailand, but there are jurisdictions like the USA & Singapore than don't require testing at all for people with documented prior covid infection, for this reason.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Thai Day 1 test pushed the swab quite far up my nose and down my throat, and that might trigger a positive result - you may want to make sure you get a through swabbing to see if that is also negative.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Just curious, how do you eat, get things, and just live day to day? Do you have absolutely zero contact with people? Does the hotel staff just bring you up meals that are ordered? I’ve always wondered what would happen if I took a trip far away and tested positive.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It could've been incubating already before I took off and still didn't show up on the pre-departure test.

Not sure about Thailand, but there are jurisdictions like the USA & Singapore than don't require testing at all for people with documented prior covid infection, for this reason.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Thai Day 1 test pushed the swab quite far up my nose and down my throat, and that might trigger a positive result - you may want to make sure you get a through swabbing to see if that is also negative.
That is interesting as all my tests done in Thailand was up my nose.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Just curious, how do you eat, get things, and just live day to day? Do you have absolutely zero contact with people? Does the hotel staff just bring you up meals that are ordered? I’ve always wondered what would happen if I took a trip far away and tested positive.
If he has a nice hotel.. then maybe he could order food or groceries on Lineman/FoodPanda and that the hotel staff delivers it at his room.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:18 pm

Yes I am in a nice 5-star hotel that has been super accommodating, with the duty manager calling me periodically to check in on me and offering to help in any way possible.

I've been seamlessly ordering food from FoodPanda and the hotel is super prompt about delivering it to the room.

The concierge ran an errand for me with a 200THB messenger fee....
LIH Prem and Granite64 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Davvidd
That is interesting as all my tests done in Thailand was up my nose.
mine were always nose AND throat...and I have done quite a few with 3 entries during the last 10 months....
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
mine were always nose AND throat...and I have done quite a few with 3 entries during the last 10 months....
My Test & Go was also both nose and mouth, but interestingly the ones taken in-country for outbound travel purposes have only been nose.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
My Thailand pass was first approved and I got the QR code, but 2 days later I got an email that it was rejected because the second hotel did not respond.. When scanned it says Valid and Rejected. Do they scan the QR code at Qatar check-in? Applied again and now it's confirmed, but I'm worried it will go to rejected again a day before I travel
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by petter2
My Thailand pass was first approved and I got the QR code, but 2 days later I got an email that it was rejected because the second hotel did not respond.. When scanned it says Valid and Rejected. Do they scan the QR code at Qatar check-in? Applied again and now it's confirmed, but I'm worried it will go to rejected again a day before I travel
I would think the airline would scan it to validate eligibility to travel as otherwise they would have to carry the cost of deporting you upon arrival.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.