Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I returned from Singapore on 22 Feb ( a Friday evening ) and the official taxi queue lines looked quite long, maybe 60-ish people per line. This was my first experience with this procedure in a few years. I have to say it moved quite quickly, maybe a 12-minute wait, and seemed much more professionally operated. The "machine" now, it seemed to me, simply prints a 2-digit number which corresponds to the space in which your taxi will park (or is currently parked). Seems like that could be done by an attendant.

I can't imagine the bulk tourist charter flight passengers use taxis, but I could be wrong.

Faced with a huge challenge I'd probably default to the AoT Limo, or try GRAB or Line Man Taxi.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 15, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by transpac
The "machine" now, it seemed to me, simply prints a 2-digit number which corresponds to the space in which your taxi will park (or is currently parked). Seems like that could be done by an attendant.
Exactly, that's all it does. The attendants were helpful in interpreting to the drivers and explaining when the driver didn't know where the destination was.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:25 pm

I returned from Singapore on 22 Feb ( a Friday evening ) and the official taxi queue lines looked quite long, maybe 60-ish people per line. This was my first experience with this procedure in a few years. I have to say it moved quite quickly, maybe a 12-minute wait, and seemed much more professionally operated. The "machine" now, it seemed to me, simply prints a 2-digit number which corresponds to the space in which your taxi will park (or is currently parked). Seems like that could be done by an attendant.

I can't imagine the bulk tourist charter flight passengers use taxis, but I could be wrong.

Faced with a huge challenge I'd probably default to the AoT Limo, or try GRAB or Line Man Taxi.
I live in Bangkok and want to let you know there is more on the ticket than just the number of the taxi spot number. Printed on the receipt, is the driver’s name, taxi information and license plate number. This is to protect the passenger in case there is a dispute or trouble, so they will be equipt with the driver’s and cab information. If the driver takes you for a “ride” or refuses to take you to your destination, you have their infomation to file a compliant. This is your receipt! Do not let the driver keep it. They may ask to look at the ticket to verify it is thier cab number, but you should always ask for it back. I always take a cell phone photo as soon as I get the ticket so I always have a copy. I do not live in the tourist areas, and to not need to take the toll motorways. Sometimes, I have a problem with a driver, who does not want to take me, or demands to take the motor way to get a higher fare. I don’t argue. I just say no and I will take another cab. Now they know I am a local and I know their information to file a compliant. Then they change their tune and follow my request. There have been times when, a driver wouldn’t comply, so I get a new ticket, the driver now has to wait until my ticket times out, and have to go back to the start of the taxi queue to get a fare and lose money.

This system was design to allow only registered taxi driver’s to be able pick up passengers at the airport. While I admit there are still some unprofesional driver’s, the majority of the drivers and service has improved. Wth the attendent there were corruption problems and this system combat this problem.

There are different lines in the queue for ticket machines for different types of taxis. There is the regular taxi, family or minivan line and a short ride line. When there is a back up at the machines, the regular, family and short lines get merged into one.

ftrichard likes this.

Last edited by northsideguy; Mar 17, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I live in Bangkok and want to let you know there is more on the ticket than just the number of the taxi spot number. Printed on the receipt, is the driver’s name, taxi information and license plate number.

Honestly I didn't pay much attention to the ticket, other than the space number but I guess that makes sense as this is the sort of info they recorded on the slips using the old manual process.

And, it would lead to long queue times as ftrichard mentions, if the attendants have to manually document the taxi/driver details individually when the kiosks break down.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 17, 2019 at 6:32 pm
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Changes in domestic passenger screening at Suvarnabhumi

In order to reduce congestion on the fourth floor, Suvarnabhumi Airport is moving its screening service for domestic passengers to concourse screening.

Wing Commander Suthirawat Suwanawat, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, Airports of Thailand, said the change will come into effect from 5am on November 19.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377740
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Piling on this thread, is there a regular scheduled Bus service that runs from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya . Or, is just booking a taxi to do the run a better option ?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:06 am

There isn't a direct bus from DMK to Pattaya. You can take the A1 bus to the Mo Chit Bus Station and then catch the Pattaya bus from there.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

Flying into BKK with Air China, hand-baggage only. I want to fly onwards to SIN on SQ983 or SQ981 on a separate ticket.

A few questions:

1.) Do I have to clear immigration in BKK? Or is there a way to stay in the transit area?

2.) Assuming I have to clear immigration in BKK, how much time will it take?

I am just looking for a rough estimate. I'm not familiar how the process will look. Immigration, security control, transfer to the terminal from which SQ is departing, potentially another security control etc. I just don't know.

Incoming flight is in business class. Outgoing flight is in eco. I have *G status if that matters. I skimmed through the thread and read about fast passes and such, but am still pretty confused about which stages this transfer will involve..
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quarryking
Piling on this thread, is there a regular scheduled Bus service that runs from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya . Or, is just booking a taxi to do the run a better option ?
Day of week? Time fo day? Exact date (many holidays here)? How much luggage? How many people?

In addition to the above routing, a flat rate taxi might be 1,500 - 2,000. While GrabCar might be 1,800 +.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8mh
Flying into BKK with Air China, hand-baggage only. I want to fly onwards to SIN on SQ983 or SQ981 on a separate ticket.

A few questions:

1.) Do I have to clear immigration in BKK? Or is there a way to stay in the transit area?

I am just looking for a rough estimate. I'm not familiar how the process will look. Immigration, security control, transfer to the terminal from which SQ is departing, potentially another security control etc. I just don't know.

Incoming flight is in business class. Outgoing flight is in eco. I have *G status if that matters. I skimmed through the thread and read about fast passes and such, but am still pretty confused about which stages this transfer will involve..

You may be able to check in at XXX with Air China through BKK, ask at XXX.

If not, the process is...

arrive
clear arriving immigration (SQ may give a fastlane pass)
fetch bags
clear customs
head up to level 4
check in with SQ
Head back up to level 4 to clear security
head down to level 3 to clear departing immigration

150 - 180 minutes for safe, planning purposes.
head to lounge/gate
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by 8mh

A few questions:

On an Int-Int transfer with non-LCC airlines you should not need to clear immigration at all. Go to the SQ transit desk (after transfer security) with your incoming boarding pass ready to show them when asked (and a copy of your onward itinerary for the transfer security dragons).
FlyerTalker324193 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:53 pm

Day of week? Time fo day? Exact date (many holidays here)? How much luggage? How many people?

In addition to the above routing, a flat rate taxi might be 1,500 - 2,000. While GrabCar might be 1,800 +.
Would be arriving on a Thursday morning at 06.00 hrs. Just one person travelling with one piece of check in luggage and a back-pack.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quarryking
Would be arriving on a Thursday morning at 06.00 hrs. Just one person traveling with one piece of check-in luggage and a back-pack.
Assuming it's not Thu, 5 Dec (a holiday), then the bus(es) option (A1 to Mo Chit bus terminal, then bus to Pattaya) remains the budget option. May be challenging to navigate, considering traffic might take 3 - 5 hours.

(The A1 bus all the way to the Mo Chit BTS station, then on to Ekkamai, where the eastern bus terminal offers buses to Pattaya frequently, might save some time, but the BTS in-bound will be very congested.)

Grabbing a taxi/car immediately (domestic or international arrival?) might get you to Pattaya in ~ 2:30 or less.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:38 am

Assuming it's not Thu, 5 Dec (a holiday), then the bus(es) option (A1 to Mo Chit bus terminal, then bus to Pattaya) remains the budget option. May be challenging to navigate, considering traffic might take 3 - 5 hours.

(The A1 bus all the way to the Mo Chit BTS station, then on to Ekkamai, where the eastern bus terminal offers buses to Pattaya frequently, might save some time, but the BTS in-bound will be very congested.)

Grabbing a taxi/car immediately (domestic or international arrival?) might get you to Pattaya in ~ 2:30 or less.
Thanks for the detailed info. Looks like taking the taxi would be money well spent indeed.

Surprising that they don't have a regular shuttle service running between Don Mueang - Pattaya. Considering a fair bit of the short -haul tourist crowd must be getting off in DMK and a good number of them in turn headed to Pattaya.

Last edited by quarryking; Oct 30, 2019 at 7:04 am Reason: addition
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:13 am
Suspended

To complete a few promos and trigger others, I need a night at an IHG hotel.

My best bet for that stay would be during a layover in BKK. Arriving around 7 PM (with fast pass), flying out 9:20 AM the next day (international departure, no fast pass but *G).

Would the Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Soi Soonvijai be a somewhat reasonable option transportation-wise? Or maybe some other IHG property?

I realize this is not the IHG subforum. But I think the biggest expertise on transportation around BKK is here. If you're all saying "this is a really bad idea", I might push that IHG stay to another date and stay at a BKK airport hotel instead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.