Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by transpac
It's very ODD.

Yes. I can only see bookings - 4 seats available - through 30 Nov. Perhaps the code-share agreement will end then, or PG only allows bookings through some fixed period. I can do a multi-city booking for CNX-BKK/BKK-SGN on the PG website through 30 Nov.

If you are currently in Chiang Mai check with a travel agent or maybe even the ATO at CNX, they can sort it out for you. Otherwise maybe contact Bangkok Airways, or book the separate tickets on PG and VN - as stated three hours should be sufficient.
Thank you.
I'm still in the states trying to get everything all sorted out. This flight's really important as we head straight to My Tho for a 4 day custom tour for my American war veteran husband. So... I really *must* get there. No room for flight problems.
Perhaps I should wait another month in the hopes that the code share shows back up?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For maximum 'security' maybe fly CNX-BKK on PG on the evening of the 23rd, stay in a hotel near the airport, then fly BKK-SGN on VN on the morning of the 24th? Otherwise lock in the two separate flights on the 24th with PG and VN, which should be fine. I wouldn't wait too much longer. Or even contact a Thai-centric travel agent in the U.S. to see if they can ticket the CNX-BKK-SGN ticket on PG now? Or contact PG directly now via email or telephone?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:37 pm

Arrival at BKK and departure from DMK during non peak times

Hey travelers
Two questions, TIA for your replies.

We're arriving at BKK around midnight on a weekday and departing from DMK at 8am on Saturday for a domestic flight.

What's your prediction regarding immigration lines and the utility of fast pass (we have no status, will have to buy it) at midnight for BKK?
Next question
Air Asia recommends that we arrive 3 hours in advance for DMK to Krabi on Saturday morning. How long will the baggage check in and security lines be? If we I've read about DMK s many difficulties, but three hours?

And thanks to the OP for creating this thread If there's another place where I can find this information please let me know

Last edited by doug 2205; Oct 27, 2018 at 5:38 pm Reason: Missed word
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by doug 2205
Hey travelers

We're arriving at BKK around midnight on a weekday and departing from DMK at 8am on Saturday for a domestic flight.

What's your prediction regarding immigration lines and the utility of fast pass (we have no status, will have to buy it) at midnight for BKK?
Next question
Air Asia recommends that we arrive 3 hours in advance for DMK to Krabi on Saturday morning. How long will the baggage check in and security lines be? If we I've read about DMK s many difficulties, but three hours?

And thanks to the OP for creating this thread If there's another place where I can find this information please let me know
Immigration lines at BKK are completely unpredictable. A lot of flights seem to arrive in that "around midnight" time so I've seen it bad and I've seen it painless. I generally purchase the fast track pass (if not provided by the airline) when flying into BKK, regardless. I definitely would if I arrived at midnight and had a flight the next morning at 08:00 am (and wanted some sleep.)

Regarding your domestic flight the next morning on AirAsia, arriving two hours prior to departure should be plenty of time. I've flown from DMK a couple of times in the last two months and each time security took less than five minutes (weekday mid-morning flights). Early morning on a Saturday, I wouldn't expect much problem there. I don't check bags but - again - I wouldn't expect teeming crowds when checking bags at 06:00 am on a Saturday morning.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
BKK midnight arrival 10 days ago

Even thogh I had the pass ended up going through regulat line as it was only about five deep. Pretty quick, but no idea on luggage as I am carryon only
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
As a counterpoint, a week ago for me, BKK east lobby arrivals at 23:30 was not bad not good - I estimated around 30+ in the foreigner line.

The premium pax lobby in the middle had no
lines. I walked up to the counter.

Taxis at departures level still easily available
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by doug 2205
Hey travelers

Next question
Q1: Impossible to predict, but most likely the lines will be relatively short. I wouldn't purchase a fast track pass in order to speed up immigration clearance.
Q2: Arriving 3 hours before would be insane. For a domestic flight I would arrive shortly before the check-in deadline/cut-off for bagage drop if you do OLCI. No reason to be there earlier than this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
BKK at midnight on Friday. Immigration queue is the worst I’ve seen it. The queue snake is seven rows deep and goes to the turning off the main concourse. Approximately 350 people ahead of me. There is a separate queue leading to a few counters for Chinese passports which is shorter but moving slower.

It’s not as bad as the DMK scrum a year ago but getting there.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftrichard
BKK at midnight on Friday. Immigration queue is the worst I’ve seen it. The queue snake is seven rows deep and goes to the turning off the main concourse. Approximately 350 people ahead of me. There is a separate queue leading to a few counters for Chinese passports which is shorter but moving slower.

It’s not as bad as the DMK scrum a year ago but getting there.

How long was your wait?

There are two halls, and I think TV displays which show the queues in the 'other' hall.

A friend arrived (at SBIA/BKK) Thursday at 2:00 AM (so late Wednesday night) and he reported long lines, he waited 45 minutes, He said there were very few Immigration Officers, so the lines were long. He had no issue with the taxi queue, driver or metered fare.

We are heading into higher season - there has been a noticeable increase in tourists observed around town this week, no doubt enjoying the awesome weather, and it always seems to take Imm. time to "react".

BTW, I think I saw mention of adding kiosks specifically for Chinese visitors, but not sure if that was just someone's idea.

Last edited by transpac; Nov 2, 2018 at 7:18 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
How long was your wait?

There are two halls, and I think TV displays which show the queues in the 'other' hall.

A friend arrived (at SBIA/BKK) Thursday at 2:00 AM (so late Wednesday night) and he reported long lines, he waited 45 minutes, He said there were very few Immigration Officers, so the lines were long. He had no issue with the taxi queue, driver or metered fare.

We are heading into higher season - there has been a noticeable increase in tourists observed around town this week, no doubt enjoying the awesome weather, and it always seems to take Imm. time to "react".

BTW, I think I saw mention of adding kiosks specifically for Chinese visitors, but not sure if that was just someone's idea.
Yes, the Chinese only is very much a thing, but I'm not sure they added as much as converted. Someone posted in another thread that the lines were shorter, but moved slower.

Lucky for me we arrived in just the right time, so got through the regular time in no time. Returning OTOH ..... shortly after midnight the lines looked ugly, so made sure to make use of my pass for the fast line, and that was rather quick. I know from painful past experience that a line of even ten pax can take forever to clear into secure area
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yes, the Chinese only is very much a thing, but I'm not sure they added as much as converted.
(
You're correct on the 'converted' account; the desk numbers remain static. Chinese nationals tend to take longer for immi agents to stamp their passports, don't know why this is and if other VOA groups like India nationals also take the additional time, so have lanes that specifically cater to them could potentially speed up other lines if the preponderance of nationals are eligible for a 'visa exemption stamp'.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:51 pm

How long was your wait?

I was lucky. Initially I joined the shorter queue and then saw that it was leading to a row of Chinese Passport kiosks and I was the only white traveller in the queue. I then went back and joined the horrendous queue where I got frustrated and irritated with everyone else. After a few minutes the queue dragons then directed those of us at the back to the Chinese queue and we rushed there and got through in about ten minutes. The main queue barely moved in that time so I have no idea how long it took.

Of course, there were many Chinese in the main queue too so it makes you wonder why they bother with this segregation if the point is to process Chinese passports separately because they take longer and the queue dragons do not enforce this. On the other hand when in the Chinese queue the Chinese passports didn't seem to be taking much longer to process than anyone else's so maybe they're reacting to a non-issue now. Who knows.

Ultimately, it reminded me that you can pay for a fast-track at this airport (right?) and I really loath immigration queues especially late at night so I will investigate the fast-track in the future.

Like your friend, once through, there was no queue for the taxi and the driver used the meter without question. But then, I behave like I know what I'm doing and where I'm going at BKK (which I do) so they probably work out that I'm not exactly on my first trip to Asia and Bangkok. And, yes, awesome weather this weekend.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:16 pm

Taxi horror going on tonight at BKK. Queue at 1am is huge and barely moving. I’d estimate a wait of two hours or more.

Never seen it like this on an innocuous Friday night. Nothing at the VIP taxi booth and the woman said the taxi ticket machine was broken (hence the queue).

Firat Grab was in the car park, didn’t move and eventually messaged that his phone was at 3% battery and could I cancel. Second Grab didn’t move for five minutes and no comms so I cancelled. Third Grab was a trustworthy woman who arrived in 5 minutes and met me at arrivals level gate 7.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I guess all the chinese flights also arrive at the same time. Normally the Taxi queue is very organized. I am surprised that they did not have attendants doing it manually. I have seen them do it in the past when the machines have broken down.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Taxi horror going on tonight at BKK. Queue at 1am is huge and barely moving. I’d estimate a wait of two hours or more.

Never seen it like this on an innocuous Friday night. Nothing at the VIP taxi booth and the woman said the taxi ticket machine was broken (hence the queue).

Firat Grab was in the car park, didn’t move and eventually messaged that his phone was at 3% battery and could I cancel. Second Grab didn’t move for five minutes and no comms so I cancelled. Third Grab was a trustworthy woman who arrived in 5 minutes and met me at arrivals level gate 7.
You are lucky you finally got a decent one. I found grab to be basically useless on my last trip to Thailand in Dec-Jan.

I just take an AOT Camry to/from the the airport. Yes, I pay a little bit more for it. (1200 for a Camry, 950 for an SUV)

Did you consider going upstairs to the departure level?

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.