Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
On another note, I wonder if any Singaporeans in Flyertalk has started using the autogates at BKK? Is it any quicker in getting through immigration vs using Premium Lane?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by pzbond
On another note, I wonder if any Singaporeans in Flyertalk has started using the autogates at BKK? Is it any quicker in getting through immigration vs using Premium Lane?
If it's the same gates that Thai nationals use I can tell you those things work well (save the the potential novice who backs up a lane).
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights delayed at Don Muang Airport due to air show rehearsals

Bangkok's Don Muang Airport has urged travelers to plan ahead and arrive at the airport two to three hours ahead of scheduled flight times until January 11 as rehearsals will be taking place for the Royal Thai Airforce air show.

The shows would be performed at the Wing 6 Don Muang for National Children's Day on Saturday. Flights will be halted on Tuesday from 9am to 9.12am and 10.15am to 10.40am. On Wednesday, flights will be halted from 11.20am to 11.50am and on Thursday from 8.15am to 9.05am and 2.30pm to 2.50pm.

Flights delayed at Don Muang Airport due to air show rehearsals
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hello, I have an early flight departing BKK at 0630 but traveling with a group of passengers departing the previous day at 1800. Is it possible to enter BKK secure airside the "previous" day around 3pm, with a boarding pass for a 630am flight departure the following day? Planning on lounge hopping airside + maybe a transit hotel. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by a330marcus
Hello, I have an early flight departing BKK at 0630 but traveling with a group of passengers departing the previous day at 1800. Is it possible to enter BKK secure airside the "previous" day around 3pm, with a boarding pass for a 630am flight departure the following day? Planning on lounge hopping airside + maybe a transit hotel. Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't think so, but the devil is in the details. Which airline? Will you be checking bags? How will you obtain a boarding pass? I can't see any airline checking you in, issuing a BP, accepting luggage and/or Immigration allowing you airside ~ 15 hours before departure, but maybe stranger things have happened?

I think your time might better spent outside the airport.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Wondering if anyone has some recent experience with the taxi queues at DMK between 4 and 7 PM. I'll be doing it twice soon. It wasn't pretty 2 years ago when I was last there.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by braslvr
Wondering if anyone has some recent experience with the taxi queues at DMK between 4 and 7 PM. I'll be doing it twice soon. It wasn't pretty 2 years ago when I was last there.
Didn't worry about it because I used Uber. Had the driver meet me at a door, went to Hilton Millennium quite smoothly.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Didn't worry about it because I used Uber. Had the driver meet me at a door, went to Hilton Millennium quite smoothly.
You flew an LCC (it's my understanding all LCCs fly to DMK) and took Uber to the Hilton

Then again, just got back from on ANA Biz flight and took public transportation from YVR to Victoria

Skytrain to Bridgeport station, #620 bus to Ferry, and #70 all the way past Parliament to almost Dallas Road in James Bay.

Being New Year's Eve, the last ride was after 6 p.m. and FREE
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You flew an LCC (it's my understanding all LCCs fly to DMK) and took Uber to the Hilton
Sure, why not? It was a 34k points redemption for two nights, so super good value IMO (I've seen US Hampton Inns going for 20k HH a night). All told I think I might shell out for PG going to USM next time instead of DD/FD doing fly-and-ferry out to the islands. The Raja ferry coming back was kind of a rustbucket. Problem was this was around NYE so we're talking $500ish round trip BKK-USM (ouch), as opposed to $200 fly-and-ferry. The time savings might be worth it though.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Then again, just got back from on ANA Biz flight and took public transportation from YVR to Victoria
Yeah, that's my style a lot of the time too. I take the BTS and ARL around Bangkok all the time...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everyone I know (Thais and long-stayers) now heads up to departures to grab a taxi dropping someone off.

Other travelers utilize the limo bus (150 THB, every 30 min. to Lumphini or Khao San), or the A1/A2/A3/A4 buses.

There is a developing shortage of taxis as the "authorities" whittle down the supply by requiring newer models for a license, we are in ultra-high season and there is always a general shortage of taxis at DMK.

You can always check out the length of the queue, and if appears to exceed your requirements, head upstairs?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by a330marcus
I do this often. I enter airside in the afternoon, the day before a 6am flight. However, I have no check-in bags and I e-checkin. No issues with security/immigration.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:59 pm

Traffic at that time is bad - I don't like to be stuck in a cab. If it were me, I would take the bus to Mo Chit BTS or the newer buses A3/A4 to Lumpini/Khao San.

If I take a cab from DMK, I take it from the Family Mart on the main road. Exit departures door, head right, walk a little and you'll see it on your left. There is usually a line of taxis waiting for pickups.
You thus avoid the little mini-traffic backup trying to exit the airport.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by tide
I do this often. I enter airside in the afternoon, the day before a 6am flight. However, I have no check-in bags and I e-checkin. No issues with security/immigration.
Originally Posted by tide
Traffic at that time is bad - I don't like to be stuck in a cab. If it were me, I would take the bus to Mo Chit BTS or the newer buses A3/A4 to Lumpini/Khao San.

If I take a cab from DMK, I take it from the Family Mart on the main road. Exit departures door, head right, walk a little and you'll see it on your left. There is usually a line of taxis waiting for pickups.
You thus avoid the little mini-traffic backup trying to exit the airport.
Thanks! Wouldn't traffic be just as bad for the bus as a taxi though?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:24 pm

Thanks! Wouldn't traffic be just as bad for the bus as a taxi though?
Yes it would - there are no dedicated bus lanes as far as I know - but the delay I feel is mitigated by a) the low fixed fare b) the fact that I'm heading to a MRT/BTS station so I can complete the rest of my journey avoiding traffic
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Traffic at that time is bad

Obviously, it depends on the destination/route and exact day/date - for example, this past Wednesday or yesterday (Saturday) would have been brutal - but very generally speaking in-bound at this time should be reasonable. The route to Mo Chit (BTS)/Chatuchuk Park (MRT) takes you through, arguably, one of the most highly traffic-congested areas in Bangkok - owing to both traffic and construction - so that might take longer, even factoring in the BTS/MRT, assuming one of those takes you to your destination.

We have no HOV lanes here, although the footpaths often serve as LOV "lanes".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.