Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
You may well be right, I would not know As I said, I have not been to DMK since the transition, so cannot comment on what happened after that
They used the military runway for civil and certified it so it may flag up next time around.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by maerim
1952 although I was not around at the time to remember it.
And here I was hoping that we might have a FTer who was around for the Phibun administration!
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
BKK vs DMK: Is one airport better to fly into vs the other? We'll be on economy for at least two of us family of four. We'll be staying at Grand Hyatt Erawan.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by opus2002
BKK vs DMK: Is one airport better to fly into vs the other? We'll be on economy for at least two of us family of four. We'll be staying at Grand Hyatt Erawan.
more important is the choice of airline, than the choice of airport....
even DMK is slightly closer (few km) to your hotel, it doesn't matter anyway as it depends on traffic....
Thai-Kiwi, opus2002 and ftrichard like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by opus2002
I think you will find very few business class options into DMK as it is largely an LCC place.. Choose based on timing, airline and other things. Personally I would always stay away from DMK though.
opus2002 and BinSabai like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 5:58 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I think you will find very few business class options into DMK as it is largely an LCC place.. Choose based on timing, airline and other things. Personally I would always stay away from DMK though.
I am the complete opposite. If it is a domestic flight DMK is the one for me. International obviously BKK. The traffic is not bad if you take the Vipavadi Rangsit Highway.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
We (2) have a early Monday AM (~0700 so out of the airport by 0800?) arrival at BKK in a few weeks. Staying at the Mercure at Makkasan (planning to take the train the next day to Malaysia so easy to get to the new rail station). Just wondering at that time of the morning if the train would be a better option that presumably bad traffic into town?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:17 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
We (2) have a early Monday AM (~0700 so out of the airport by 0800?) arrival at BKK in a few weeks. Staying at the Mercure at Makkasan (planning to take the train the next day to Malaysia so easy to get to the new rail station). Just wondering at that time of the morning if the train would be a better option that presumably bad traffic into town?
it's a bit far to walk from the Makkasan station, but yes, if your luggage is not too heavy, you could save some time...highway along Rama IX is often congested several hours in the morning....
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see it's a case of so close yet so far. Seems real close distance wise but actual walking (not a nice road for walking either, not that Bangkok has many). So much bags as we're at least starting out light.

May have to reexamine where to stay since it's only for 1 night.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by BinSabai
it's a bit far to walk from the Makkasan station, but yes, if your luggage is not too heavy, you could save some time...highway along Rama IX is often congested several hours in the morning....
I would go for it, if you can carry your luggage without needing a luggage cart. Taking the Airport Rail Link (ARL) to Makkasan station is so convenient and I don’t think the walk to the Mercure Makkasan is that far. Also the Mercure is reasonably priced. 😊
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I would go for it, if you can carry your luggage without needing a luggage cart. Taking the Airport Rail Link (ARL) to Makkasan station is so convenient and I don’t think the walk to the Mercure Makkasan is that far. Also the Mercure is reasonably priced. 😊
Mercure is cheap, even for a flexible breakfast rate. Walk seems to be about a Km as one has to walk back to the main road before walking to hotel. 300m if one walk over the rail track to the frontage road. Might have to do this....
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:28 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
it's a bit far to walk from the Makkasan station, but yes, if your luggage is not too heavy, you could save some time...highway along Rama IX is often always congested several hours in the morning....
Fixed that for you (applicable on weekdays as the OP is arriving on a Monday)

Mercure is cheap, even for a flexible breakfast rate. Walk seems to be about a Km as one has to walk back to the main road before walking to hotel. 300m if one walk over the rail track to the frontage road. Might have to do this....
If you can manage with the amount of luggage you have, then I would second the opinion of taking the train. As you say, there should not be a need to back-track to Petchaburi and then down the street to Mercure - you can cross over the single track rail-way, saving the detour.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:42 pm

Also the hotel may offer a shuttle service, which would apply more when you depart the next morning. 😊
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Also the hotel may offer a shuttle service, which would apply more when you depart the next morning. 😊
I was checking the various Accor properties (there's one across the N-S road to the east) and none appear to have a shuttle? At any rate, will be taking the MTR to the rail station sometime the next afternoon. Also will be staying on the way back (most likely from VietNam) before getting on one of those awful early AM flights to the middle east,
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:56 pm

I was checking the various Accor properties (there's one across the N-S road to the east) and none appear to have a shuttle? At any rate, will be taking the MTR to the rail station sometime the next afternoon. Also will be staying on the way back (most likely from VietNam) before getting on one of those awful early AM flights to the middle east,
Reports on TripAdvisor for Mercure Makkasan suggests there may be a shuttle to MTR, but it may just be on request. 😊

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.