FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:25 pm
northsideguy

Originally Posted by transpac
I returned from Singapore on 22 Feb ( a Friday evening ) and the official taxi queue lines looked quite long, maybe 60-ish people per line. This was my first experience with this procedure in a few years. I have to say it moved quite quickly, maybe a 12-minute wait, and seemed much more professionally operated. The "machine" now, it seemed to me, simply prints a 2-digit number which corresponds to the space in which your taxi will park (or is currently parked). Seems like that could be done by an attendant.

I can't imagine the bulk tourist charter flight passengers use taxis, but I could be wrong.

Faced with a huge challenge I'd probably default to the AoT Limo, or try GRAB or Line Man Taxi.
I live in Bangkok and want to let you know there is more on the ticket than just the number of the taxi spot number. Printed on the receipt, is the driver’s name, taxi information and license plate number. This is to protect the passenger in case there is a dispute or trouble, so they will be equipt with the driver’s and cab information. If the driver takes you for a “ride” or refuses to take you to your destination, you have their infomation to file a compliant. This is your receipt! Do not let the driver keep it. They may ask to look at the ticket to verify it is thier cab number, but you should always ask for it back. I always take a cell phone photo as soon as I get the ticket so I always have a copy. I do not live in the tourist areas, and to not need to take the toll motorways. Sometimes, I have a problem with a driver, who does not want to take me, or demands to take the motor way to get a higher fare. I don’t argue. I just say no and I will take another cab. Now they know I am a local and I know their information to file a compliant. Then they change their tune and follow my request. There have been times when, a driver wouldn’t comply, so I get a new ticket, the driver now has to wait until my ticket times out, and have to go back to the start of the taxi queue to get a fare and lose money.

This system was design to allow only registered taxi driver’s to be able pick up passengers at the airport. While I admit there are still some unprofesional driver’s, the majority of the drivers and service has improved. Wth the attendent there were corruption problems and this system combat this problem.

There are different lines in the queue for ticket machines for different types of taxis. There is the regular taxi, family or minivan line and a short ride line. When there is a back up at the machines, the regular, family and short lines get merged into one.

Last edited by northsideguy; Mar 17, 2019 at 4:32 pm