Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For those qualified to post in Omni and Omni/PR (180 days on FT and 180 posts), political conversations on this tragedy can occur in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1703225-deadly-bombing-bangkok.html

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Explosion at Erawan Shrine in Central Bangkok
Embassy of the United States of America in Bangkok
August 17, 2015
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//081715_emergency_message.html

This message is to inform U.S. citizens in Thailand that according to local law enforcement, an explosion took place at approximately 7:00 pm August 17, at the Rachaprasong intersection in the central commercial district of Bangkok (near the Erawan Shrine, Central World mall, and overhead bisection of the two Skytrain lines). Media outlets are reporting multiple casualties. Local law enforcement and emergency services are responding and U.S. Embassy personnel are liaising closely with local authorities to gather information. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area and monitor local media for updates.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by GurungBoi
I'm flying at the same date as well from HKG. Staying at Avani Atrium Bangkok. I will continue my trip unless something big happens again.
Fingers crossed.
I'll be going to SIN first and KUL after so it's the 3 days in BKK that I can either stick with or replace with another destination. Going to think about it for a few days.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
That is not a totally equal comparison. The Bangkok event occurred in the middle of the tourist area, the main part of the city, a good section. When you speak of crime in such places as Philadelphia that really is not the same since most of the crime happens mainly in certain areas where tourists would not be gathered and not the center of the good part of the city. Crime happens anywhere but I do not feel you have given a fair comparison.
The Philly police have a nice little mapping tool to prove my point. Go ahead and try it yourself. https://www.phillypolice.com/crime-maps-stats/

And again, from what has been released anyways, not a single American was harmed by this attack. Sure it could have happened. I've been to Erawan many times and spent many, many nights at the Hyatt and IC. But I've also walked the streets of Philadelphia where we can see murders, rapes, etc. have happened recently. Not to pick specifically on Philly as any US city has these problems. But Thailand does not. Especially not in the tourist areas and especially not in the other cities and beaches of Thailand and especially not when Westerners are concerned.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLisa
That's a bit of a stretch. Would you travel to a war zone? Bad things can happen anywhere, but they happen more often in some places at some times. That's when to avoid them.
Like movie theaters, schools, army enrollment centers, marathon routes etc etc etc here in US?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Like movie theaters, schools, army enrollment centers, marathon routes etc etc etc here in US?
^

Here at home when another senseless act of violence is committed, we all band together and tell each other to continue with our normal routines. Personally, I'd have no problems flying into Bkk tomorrow. But everyone has to make their own decision....there is no right or wrong here.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Comparatively, I still feel safer in Thailand.

Originally Posted by azepine00
Pretty much the exact thing we said to family back home. Without understating the horror of what happened here in BKK, I'm more comfortable walking around BKK knowing I won't be shot (LAX, ORD, DTW) or hit in the face with a hammer like in MSY. Comparatively, I'd be more worried about the number of random homicides that occurred last night in the US than a single act like this in Thailand.

Let's just hope they catch the guy with the backpack - not sure if everyone has seen this video (link to news-reporters Facebook upload - many businesses here in Thailand do not have their own webpage, they simply use Facebook): https://www.facebook.com/NuChiko.29/...62871/?fref=nf
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by greendx
I'll be going to SIN first and KUL after so it's the 3 days in BKK that I can either stick with or replace with another destination. Going to think about it for a few days.
lol for me is .. 5 days in BKK then SIN.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To put things in one form of perspective, on average 70 people die here each and every day in traffic accidents. Maybe a few hundred are injured, again each day.

In pure actuarial terms, you are far more likely to die here as a result of an accident, than by violence. Most tourists, if they experience any crime here at all, it is usually non-violent (scams, tricks, handbag).

I think the thing that has a lot of my Thai neighbors freaked out is the unknown (who, why) with this incident. And there's not a lot of faith in the authorities' ability to sort things out. Thai's, in Bangkok, are on edge.

I always feel safer in the U.S. Admittedly I've been in some extremely sketchy parts of Bangkok and Thailand, and have seen what the combination of alcohol, suppressed feelings and subsequent violent outbursts can result in. While I've never had any issues, I've seen some scary sh*t - I'd almost prefer firearms to the crazy fights with machetes where the hacking is so messy. You have to be very aware of situations here - I hardly feel that way in the U.S. - and prepare to relocate at the first sign of trouble brewing.

There still is a Military Dictatorship ruling Thailand, after having seized control in May, 2014, and there is no sign of them relinquishing power for at least another two years. Many of the people working in tourist-related industries are from Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and are virtual slaves. Tourist currency is vitally important to the Junta and the ruling class, especially as the economy continues its slide. On the plus side, foreign currency goes farther these days.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the aftermath of the blast, is public transportation messed up around Erawan? Is it now less convenient to stay in the Hyatt, including access to and from via taxi? Or should visitors plan to stay in a different area of the city now and over the next six months or so?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by stimpy
Philadelphia has a lot more violent crime than Bangkok. Name any US city. Please don't give into a few terrorists. And note that this attack was clearly not against America so Americans should be no more cautious than they would be in any US city.
What on earth are you talking about? Philadelphia has crime, just like any large city. Bangkok, at this moment, also has people planting bombs for unknown reasons aimed at unknown targets.

As I clearly said, I have the luxury of time to see if this is a singular incident or is the start of something larger. However, I am not in a war with anyone, so there is no one for me to "give in" to. I certainly wouldn't risk my life to prove some point if I actually thought terrorists were going to be throwing bombs on a regular basis.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Originally Posted by transpac
To put things in one form of perspective, on average 70 people die here each and every day in traffic accidents. Maybe a few hundred are injured, again each day.

In pure actuarial terms, you are far more likely to die here as a result of an accident, than by violence. Most tourists, if they experience any crime here at all, it is usually non-violent (scams, tricks, handbag).

I think the thing that has a lot of my Thai neighbors freaked out is the unknown (who, why) with this incident. And there's not a lot of faith in the authorities' ability to sort things out. Thai's, in Bangkok, are on edge.

I always feel safer in the U.S. Admittedly I've been in some extremely sketchy parts of Bangkok and Thailand, and have seen what the combination of alcohol, suppressed feelings and subsequent violent outbursts can result in. While I've never had any issues, I've seen some scary sh*t - I'd almost prefer firearms to the crazy fights with machetes where the hacking is so messy. You have to be very aware of situations here - I hardly feel that way in the U.S. - and prepare to relocate at the first sign of trouble brewing.

There still is a Military Dictatorship ruling Thailand, after having seized control in May, 2014, and there is no sign of them relinquishing power for at least another two years. Many of the people working in tourist-related industries are from Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and are virtual slaves. Tourist currency is vitally important to the Junta and the ruling class, especially as the economy continues its slide. On the plus side, foreign currency goes farther these days.
I thikn you have summed up my feelings perfectly. The reason i cancelled my trip for next week is the same reason as to why Thais are so nervous.

I know the GH and Erawan site very well. I have probably stayed there for a total of 3 months during my life . I just felt that I would not be comfortable if trouble brewed as i cant find the sort of exit route one can in the US .

Good points made.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by stimpy
....Philadelphia where we can see murders, rapes, etc. have happened recently. ....any US city has these problems. But Thailand does not.

Especially not in the tourist areas and especially not in the other cities and beaches of Thailand and especially not when Westerners are concerned.
Except in the case of http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...d-9765137.html
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the aftermath of the blast, is public transportation messed up around Erawan? Is it now less convenient to stay in the Hyatt, including access to and from via taxi? Or should visitors plan to stay in a different area of the city now and over the next six months or so?
When I walked overhead (from Chit Lom BTS into Central World then on to Siam) a few minutes ago I did not see anything messed up. Traffic flowing through Ratchaprasong intersection, shrine re-opened.

There is an intense security presence, and there are some flimsy sidewalk barricades in front of the IC. Quite a few gawkers and TV crews.

Other than that nothing unusual I noticed...except walking inside Central World I did see one gigantic pane of glass which looks like it took a ball-bearing. It is quite far away though.

It's probably the safest place in Bangkok right now?

Especially not in the tourist areas and especially not in the other cities and beaches of Thailand and especially not when Westerners are concerned.
Tell that to Kirsty Jones Mum.

And all the other rape victims here.

Sheesh.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
As said, my wife and I are heading to BKK in two weeks about (4th September); we are staying at Hilton Millennium.
At the moment we did not change our trip (no flex with EK etc etc, but we do have insurance).
After BKK we are heading to Ko Samui and then back to HAM via DXB (1-night stopover).

Even we will feel uncomfortable in BKK, we will just stay in the hotel and wait for our departure to Ko Samui

Let's see what happens in the next days.

BTW, neither Italy (I am Italian) nor Germany (I live in Germany) said to avoid travel to Thailand, just take care and be careful.

I will contact Embassy and related.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by transpac
Tell that to Kirsty Jones Mum.

And all the other rape victims here.

Sheesh.
Wow. Thailand doesn't even make the list of countries that have a lot of rape victims. Not sure why you would feel safer in the US? I'm admittedly a male and relatively large. But I feel a LOT safer in Bangkok than any city in the US. And many cities in Europe that I could name.

Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tourist destinations, airports nationwide secured

Increased security measures are now in place in tourist areas and at airports nationwide, in response to the deadly bombing of Erawan shrine at Ratchaprasong intersection in Bangkok on Monday night.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/secu...onwide-secured

Japan, HK cancellations presage tough times ahead for tourism

Thailand's tourism industry may have bounced back after previous bouts of political unrest, but a bomb attack in the heart of Bangkok that targeted foreigners likely will prove a more-formidable challenge, analysts say.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/spec...ad-for-tourism

Sukhumvit Road, around Sois 7 - 9 was shut down this afternoon after a suspicious object was found , at first I thought that the suspicious object was an honest policeman, or a taxi driver who agreed to use the meter?

Last edited by transpac; Aug 19, 2015 at 2:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.