Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For those qualified to post in Omni and Omni/PR (180 days on FT and 180 posts), political conversations on this tragedy can occur in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1703225-deadly-bombing-bangkok.html

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Explosion at Erawan Shrine in Central Bangkok
Embassy of the United States of America in Bangkok
August 17, 2015
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//081715_emergency_message.html

This message is to inform U.S. citizens in Thailand that according to local law enforcement, an explosion took place at approximately 7:00 pm August 17, at the Rachaprasong intersection in the central commercial district of Bangkok (near the Erawan Shrine, Central World mall, and overhead bisection of the two Skytrain lines). Media outlets are reporting multiple casualties. Local law enforcement and emergency services are responding and U.S. Embassy personnel are liaising closely with local authorities to gather information. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area and monitor local media for updates.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reports on TV this morning mention 22 dead (8 foreigners), 12 post-event at nearby hospitals. And ~ 100 injured, some seriously.

There has been some mention by Thai military and police officials that this may be "related to a recent operation".

Some are inferring that this might refer to the recent forced return of 109 Uyghurs to China last month.

To me , this might make the most 'sense' as neither side, nor the insurgents, have much to gain with such a tactic.

Officials mention that an "Arab-looking man was captured on CCTV leaving a package just before the incident".

Local advice is to stay clear of touristy sites, where a lot of foreigners might gather, especially after dark, for the time being.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I love Bangkok and would often walk down this street going shopping. Most recently 2 months ago. Unfortunately now I'll rethink Bangkok. Such a shame as so many people need the tourist dollars to survive.

How tragic or everyone concerned.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Very sad event. I loved my time in Bangkok and rate the IC Bangkok as one of the best I had stayed in - it is just across the street from the site of this blast.

As a tourist, it makes you stop and think but I will never stop travelling to experience wonderful sights such as this shrine - otherwise these idiots have won!

My thoughts go out to all affected.

aks120
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite a difference between yesterday and today when I was out on comparable routes. Yesterday the BTS was packed at my stop, mid-day, with mostly tourists, as was Siam Paragon. Today, not very many people out.

Here is a list of the injured:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/brea...-30266831.html

Hopefully all make a full and speedy recovery.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:06 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I see the most politically vulnerable season as being the time between one birthday and the next. We entered this period yesterday. I assume the war for power has just started. Incidents may escalate. If there are no changes in the power structure of the country before the first week of December, any action will come to a grinding halt. We have from now until then to fear, IMO.

But, I would be worried for the next 15 weeks. I would be careful of where I went. Avoiding the busiest areas of town may be warranted. If it starts like this, it's hard to say how bad things could get.

The fight for power in this country is shameless. My heart goes out to the victims, and to us all.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Aug 18, 2015 at 1:11 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure what to make of this.

Bomb tossed at Sathorn pier, no injuries

A suspected grenade was thrown at the Sathorn pier in Bangkok Tuesday but caused no injuries or damage.

Witnesses reported that an explosive device was hurled at approximately 1.20pm from the Sathorn bridge near a parking lot for pickup truck taxis, bounced into the water and exploded there.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/secu...er-no-injuries

Maybe just kids messing around? Video...

http://asiancorrespondent.com/134899...ck-in-bangkok/

Last edited by transpac; Aug 18, 2015 at 2:07 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PM addressed the country on TV at 15:00 local time for ~ 5 minutes.

20 dead, 108 injured, 40 treated and released.

Of the dead, 2 from Singapore, 2 from Malaysia, 2 from China 1 from Hong Kong, 5 Thais, 8 unidentified.

Authorities continue investigation.

Expect increased security.

Do not share "information" via social media.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by transpac
Not sure what to make of this.

Bomb tossed at Sathorn pier, no injuries

A suspected grenade was thrown at the Sathorn pier in Bangkok Tuesday but caused no injuries or damage.

The article now mentions an "Improvised Explosive Device" - closer to yesterday's bombing than a grenade...
I've seen a message mentioning a bomb similar to yesterday's, but no confirmation yet in the news.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Supposedly a nationwide manhunt underway for the person in the yellow shirt who apparently left the bomb.

They are showing pieced together CCTV video (multiple cameras) on TV now which clearly show him removing the large-ish backpack, leaving it on a bench and walking away.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by HasteFlier
The article now mentions an "Improvised Explosive Device" - closer to yesterday's bombing than a grenade...
I've seen a message mentioning a bomb similar to yesterday's, but no confirmation yet in the news.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/secu...er-no-injuries

There's a CCTV video of the explosion at the bottom of the article.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:05 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
There are reports (Twitter), of a another explosion taken place by Saphin Taksin.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by gemini573
There are reports (Twitter), of a another explosion taken place by Saphin Taksin.
The explosion discussed above your post, in Sathorn, is the Saphan Taksin pier.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second Warden Message in as many days...

SECURITY MESSAGE FOR U.S. CITIZENS

Security Message for U.S. Citizens:Explosion at the Sathorn Pier beneath the Taksin Bridge

August 18, 2015

This message is to inform U.S. citizens in Thailand that local law enforcement and media sources are reporting a suspicious explosion at the Sathorn Pier beneath the Taksin bridge along the Chao Phraya River this afternoon, Aug 18. There are no reports of damage or injuries. Please stay clear of the affected area, including the Saphan Taksin BTS station, while authorities investigate. Monitor media reports for further information.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/081815_...y_message.html
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:37 am

OK. Well I'm supposed to be in Thailand for my honeymoon with Bangkok being a stop for 3 days. Is it time to rethink the trip?

Concerning for sure.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by JEStarr
OK. Well I'm supposed to be in Thailand for my honeymoon with Bangkok being a stop for 3 days. Is it time to rethink the trip?

Concerning for sure.
Same here. When are you going? Im definitely keeping my eye on things but not making changes as of yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.