Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For those qualified to post in Omni and Omni/PR (180 days on FT and 180 posts), political conversations on this tragedy can occur in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1703225-deadly-bombing-bangkok.html

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Explosion at Erawan Shrine in Central Bangkok
Embassy of the United States of America in Bangkok
August 17, 2015
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//081715_emergency_message.html

This message is to inform U.S. citizens in Thailand that according to local law enforcement, an explosion took place at approximately 7:00 pm August 17, at the Rachaprasong intersection in the central commercial district of Bangkok (near the Erawan Shrine, Central World mall, and overhead bisection of the two Skytrain lines). Media outlets are reporting multiple casualties. Local law enforcement and emergency services are responding and U.S. Embassy personnel are liaising closely with local authorities to gather information. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area and monitor local media for updates.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:17 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GurungBoi
not sure about accommodations but it seems the price in my hotel went up lol by 20 cad per night when i searched it last night =/
Standard behavior for hotels in Thailand IME... see a slack in tourist or business travel demand? Raise prices to make up for it!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:23 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Try Accor.... prices dropping this week
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: most of them
I was going to say the same thing about Thai logic....low season, raise prices.

I guess the "authorities" think they have to say something, so they just say whatever pops into their heads no matter how nonsensical just so people will think they are in control. But it really is pretty ridiculous. Can't say "we don't know". All of these statements about he's not Thai when they can't know that is just the beginning.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Moderator Comments

Please be reminded that commentary on Thai politics, and analysis and general discussion of the risks in Thailand relative to other cities and countries is beyond the scope of this forum. Please limit your posts to matters specific to travel in relation to this event, and take other conversation to the omni forum. Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:38 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Please be reminded that commentary on Thai politics, and analysis and general discussion of the risks in Thailand relative to other cities and countries is beyond the scope of this forum. Please limit your posts to matters specific to travel in relation to this event, and take other conversation to the omni forum. Thanks!
Ms. Moderator, I don't understand.

There's a bomb in Bangkok. Many people are killed. And we're not to discuss the safety of the city, in the thread discussing the event, in the Thai forum?

It's a discussion forum on a travel bulletin board. It seems exactly what FT was designed for. No? And, isn't this the exact forum that newbies and frequent visitors will visit to read, learn, and discuss about?

|And please don't send us to OMNI... Ewww! I just won't go there. Have you seen how those people are over there?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Ms. Moderator, I don't understand.
Some of the posts were going OT, started off about safety of going to Bkk now, then going sideways about rape statistics in other countries. POV

Back to subject at hand, over 20 local hotels offering complimentary lodging to families of victims, variety of ceremonies on-site to pray for the victims, etc. Solid attempt back to 'normalcy'. ^^^
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
Will such blasts deter you from the big mango BKK? or is it teflon Thailand....nothing sticks??
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by L Lam
Will such blasts deter you from the big mango BKK? or is it teflon Thailand....nothing sticks??
I have existing tickets. Still going. Only chance it will effect any of my choices is if it changes hotel rates.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:54 pm

I decided to stick with Bangkok. Will be there in a week.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:49 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Contemplating canceling/postponing my trip to bkk... Am I making too big a deal out of it? I wasn't planning on visiting popular sites, besides maybe Central Embassy.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by agp423
Contemplating canceling/postponing my trip to bkk... Am I making too big a deal out of it? I wasn't planning on visiting popular sites, besides maybe Central Embassy.
As long as this remains an isolate incident, you're making too much of it. This sort of thing can happen anywhere.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The police are now certain that it was either a Thai or a foreigner who was the 'backpack man'.

That said, it does look like it was an intra-Thailand-Military/Regime/Aristocracy (not 'political' per se, no red-shirt or muslim insurgents involved; strictly a Thai military/factional turf-war) "message" which was sent, and received, so things should be fine as long as the message is acknowledged and acted upon. Things should be quiet, for a while, until they aren't.

I wouldn't expect any perpetrators to be captured, alive. Probably roll up a few patsies in a shallow grave in a mango swamp in Nakhon Nowhere?

Bomb technique was 'taught by foreigners'

NVESTIGATORS believe that the plotters behind the Erawan Shrine and Sathorn pier blasts might have relied on a foreign bomb-making technique, an informed source said.

"Such a technique did not exist in Thailand before. And our in-depth investigations reveal that foreigners of unknown nationality came to Thailand in 2011 to provide training on such a technique," the source said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30267216.html

In the above article, the attempted disposal of a second bomb at Sathorn Pier suggests higher authorities called off subsequent bombs, for any number of reasons which can be speculated upon.

Last edited by transpac; Aug 22, 2015 at 8:09 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:10 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30267216.html

Another source disclosed that the suspected shrine bomber took a taxi to the Hua Lamphong train station and then took a tuk-tuk to the shrine on Monday.
...<snip>...
The tuk-tuk driver gave police the Bt20 the suspect used to pay the fare.
20 baht tuk tuk fare? - from Hua Lamphong to Erawan?

Ermmmm, no.

Not the best reporting by The Nation. Wonder if the police meant the 20 baht note was from the motorcycle taxi taken from the crime scene to Lumpini after the device was dropped off. Makes more sense.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two arrests made in bombing case...

Unfortunately it's just some random people charged with spreading misinformation about the bombing on the pesky interwebs.

Classic Thai police work.

NCPO: More evidence related to blasts found

Two posters of messages on the social media deemed to have caused confusion among the people were arrested in Bangkok and Ayutthaya provinces and were now undergoing legal procedures, Col Winthai said. He would not give further details.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/secu...o-blasts-found
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:50 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
What I still dont understand are the "other defused bombs" just after the initial one went off.

There were reports that the police had defused a second and third bomb. Nothing heard of again? Or was that just a big "show" that they did something good?

For example here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10459140.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.