Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For those qualified to post in Omni and Omni/PR (180 days on FT and 180 posts), political conversations on this tragedy can occur in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1703225-deadly-bombing-bangkok.html

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Explosion at Erawan Shrine in Central Bangkok
Embassy of the United States of America in Bangkok
August 17, 2015
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//081715_emergency_message.html

This message is to inform U.S. citizens in Thailand that according to local law enforcement, an explosion took place at approximately 7:00 pm August 17, at the Rachaprasong intersection in the central commercial district of Bangkok (near the Erawan Shrine, Central World mall, and overhead bisection of the two Skytrain lines). Media outlets are reporting multiple casualties. Local law enforcement and emergency services are responding and U.S. Embassy personnel are liaising closely with local authorities to gather information. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area and monitor local media for updates.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by transpac
It does look (now), based on this arrest, like the Turkish Grey Wolves may have orchestrated these two bombs in response to the forced deportation of the Uighurs.
But now they are saying the Turkish passports they found were fake. http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/30/as...est/index.html
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:09 am

Police have awarded themselves the 3m baht reward offered to the public. Well, it was General Somyat's own money and back it goes boiiiiiiing ! The police's diligent work torturing the living daylights outta the man found with the bomb making equipment outweighs the suspicious landlady whose call lead them to him. LINK: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30267803.html

Last edited by whackyjacky; Aug 31, 2015 at 2:14 am
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Police have awarded themselves the 3m baht reward offered to the public. Well, it was General Somyat's own money and back it goes boiiiiiiing ! The police's diligent work torturing the living daylights outta the man found with the bomb making equipment outweighs the suspicious landlady whose call lead them to him. LINK: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30267803.html
Upon seeing you had posted in this thread I was certain the topic would be exactly this.

Well done.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:58 am

Hmmmm !

More than 100,000 fake Turkish passports given to ISIL
http://en.cihan.com.tr/en/more-than-...il-1741191.htm
CIHAN | ISTANBUL - 09.04.2015 19:06:31

"Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) militants were given more than 100,000 fake Turkish passports in order to travel to Turkey and then enter Syria to join ISIL, a daily reported on Thursday.

According to a story in the Meydan daily, A.G., an aide of Nurali T., a Uyghur Turk working for ISIL to provide militants with passports worldwide, Nurali T.'s office in İstanbul's Zeytinburnu district functions as an ISIL passport office. Each passport was sold for $200, A.G. told Meydan.

More than 50,000 Uyghur Turks came to Turkey with these fake passports from China via Thailand and Malaysia and entered Syria after staying a day in İstanbul, Meydan reported. A.G. claimed that most of the Uyghurs with fake passports were caught by police in Turkish airports but they were released in Turkey after their passports were seized. “The Uyghurs' release in Turkey is due to a secret [little-known] Turkish law on Uyghur Turks. More than 50,000 Uyghurs joined ISIL through this method,” A.G. added.

A.G. further said that Nurali T. organizes recruits from around the world from his İstanbul office. Militants who entered Turkey with these fake passports are hosted either in hotels or guesthouses for a day before they join ISIL in Syria, A.G. said.

The Turkish government's stance toward ISIL has so far been ambiguous. The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government has been accused of supporting the terrorist organization by turning a blind eye to its militants crossing the border and even buying its oil. There have also been claims that Turkey has sent weapons to opposition groups fighting the regime of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria. The NATO ally has also been facing a backlash for its reluctance to join US-led coalition efforts to eliminate ISIL, feeding speculation that this reluctance may be an indicator that some Turkish officials are ideologically close to the terrorist group.

Based on a 2014 report, Sezgin Tanrıkulu, deputy chairman of the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) said that ISIL terrorists fighting in Syria have also been claimed to have been treated in hospitals in Turkey. However, publicly, Turkish authorities have strongly condemned the terrorist acts of ISIL militants and say these actions have nothing to do with Islam."
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Moderator Caution

This discussion has veered off into decidedly OMNI-esque discourse.

Please limit your posts to developments that are directly relevant to travel concerns. Those wishing to discuss the political situation, the handling of the investigation, the competence of officials, and so on, must do so in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...g-bangkok.html thread.

Thanks all.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:06 am

I have been in Bangkok for close to 2 months. The hotel I stay in was close to the Erawen Shrine, and I walked past it about 2 hours before the blast! I didn't even know there was a bomb until I turned on the TV. I took a flight the next day to Chiang Mai from Don Muang and expected very high security but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

The police have now arrested two suspects, and are looking for more. I haven't noticed anything unusual except a little more security at the shopping centers. It is business as usual in Thailand, so don't worry! Probably safer than in the U.S.!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by hot2trot
The police have now arrested two suspects, and are looking for more. I haven't noticed anything unusual except a little more security at the shopping centers. It is business as usual in Thailand, so don't worry! Probably safer than in the U.S.!
I was asked to open my roller when using Emporium to access BTS; they weren't interested in anything other than opening it. The exact same before the escalator at Phaya Thai SARL. And MRT typically shines a light into bags with barely a glance by the attendant who's chatting with the other attendant. Faux security.

Always has been and will continue to be.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Erawan attack probe ongoing one year later

Victim claims she has still not received full compensation for injuries suffered.

AS YESTERDAY marked the first anniversary of the Erawan Shrine bombing, one victim claimed she had still not received proper compensation, while police said the deadly attack was now under court investigation and no new progress had been made.

Surveillance camera evidence showed a yellow-shirted suspect planting the device under a bench inside the shrine. The bomb later exploded, killing 20 people and injuring 163.

In an update of the legal case, Chuchart Kanphai, the lawyer for Uighur suspect Adem Karadag, said the case was still in the court investigation process and was scheduled to finish late next year at the earliest.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30293182.html

They need to make a huge broom, and carpet, to "finish" the investigation. Or perhaps Mr. Karadag will commit suicide, or suffer a fatal bout of blood poisoning? Then things can be cleaned up, Thai style.

Last edited by transpac; Aug 17, 2016 at 7:36 pm
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question of interpretation

After 15 months of extremely iffy police work and very interesting prosecution strategy, the two button men of the Erawan Shrine atrocity got their destined opportunity to turn their trial into political theatre.

Their aim, like virtually all terrorists in the modern era, is to make it a farce. So far, they are getting help.

Yusufu Mieraili (Mir Ali), 27, and Bilal Mohammed aka Adem Karadag, 31, are on trial for transporting the bomb to the shrine, and setting it off. The charges are more exacting, but that's the bottom line.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/o...interpretation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.